ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #5161
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer
 
sprocketjock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 780
Spies it too good for the abomination that is Fox Sports. He'd be great alongside Nick or Gavin, not that that will happen.
sprocketjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #5162
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeekster View Post
He would be great on commenting the races on Fox Sports
I think Ben Spies was a great contributor to the sport. He was a fantastic amateur and among the greatest in AMA Pro. He shocked much of the world in WSB, but we really knew he was a contender all along. Nobody who followed him stateside was shocked at his WSB world title. Not even Mat Mladin. Ben's first MotoGP season was a great one as well. Even his Suzuki wild card at Indy in 2008 was spectacular.

After that it all went wrong, but mostly from injuries and strange mechanical failures. Were there people against him? Probably many. On his own team? Maybe. Sabotage? Probably not. Negligence? Surely.

In the end Ben Spies suffered a premature retirement due to injuries. Nobody can fix that.

What is amazing to me is he never crashed much until he was on the factory team in MotoGP. Apparently he was trying to grab the last few tenths he needed every weekend. I sure wish it didn't end this way, but I loved his career and appreciate the level he took it to. Bravo!
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #5163
ErikY.
Insulhater
 
ErikY.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North of you, probably
Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

What is amazing to me is he never crashed much until he was on the factory team in MotoGP. Apparently he was trying to grab the last few tenths he needed every weekend. I sure wish it didn't end this way, but I loved his career and appreciate the level he took it to. Bravo!
+1! Sad to see him go. I'm glad I got to see him live at his best; Indy on the podium.
Hopefully he stays in the biz at some level.
__________________
"Live your own life, for you will die your own death" Roman proverb.
"Touratech have nice mounting kits but they want a testicle and half a square yard of scrotum skin for them. They can f*** right off." Frey Bentos
"This is it. Pay attention. -Me.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #5164
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,702
yes definetly seems as though he never quite got to his potential in Motogp.Was knockin on the door of alien status.Get well Ben
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #5165
gco0307
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Dubvegas in the NSW Central West
Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktpa View Post
On MotoGP the day of the Australian race they ran the Laps of Honor first some young people spread out a huge Australian flag then Gardner and his sons did a lap then then Gardner, Doohan, and Stoner did two laps Doohan reached over and hit Stoners kill switch at one point during the lap and it looked like everyone took the lead entering the curve named for them was quite a tribute.


Yes Mick did hit the kill switch :lol:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=760_1382792829
gco0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #5166
DougZ73
Fading off.........
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,814
Damn race is on Fox Sports 2......any idea what channel that is on Comcast HD?? Speed( 857 for me) became FS1.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #5167
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Damn race is on Fox Sports 2......any idea what channel that is on Comcast HD?? Speed( 857 for me) became FS1.
Live on Fox Sports 2, rerun tomorrow at 3PM CST on Fox Sports 1 right after Moto2.

Not ideal but at least it's there.

.
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #5168
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.
 
BOOTLACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Methane Central..(Sth Gippsland)
Oddometer: 3,637
So does this make Ben a quitter?














.
__________________
bootlace
BOOTLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #5169
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Damn race is on Fox Sports 2......any idea what channel that is on Comcast HD?? Speed( 857 for me) became FS1.
FS2 is the old fuel tv, if that helps.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #5170
wbedient
MoTard
 
wbedient's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 1,220
I'm sad to see Ben go... like you guys said, I'm sad to see him not reach his full potential. It just seems like he could have gone further if it hadn't been for that horrible second season on the yamaha and the injuries that followed on the duck.

I have enjoyed his race commentary and hope he finds a home enlightening us through his commentary on the races.
__________________

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #5171
craigincali
Just hanging around
 
craigincali's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: A town called Hell
Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I think Ben Spies was a great contributor to the sport. He was a fantastic amateur and among the greatest in AMA Pro. He shocked much of the world in WSB, but we really knew he was a contender all along. Nobody who followed him stateside was shocked at his WSB world title. Not even Mat Mladin. Ben's first MotoGP season was a great one as well. Even his Suzuki wild card at Indy in 2008 was spectacular.

After that it all went wrong, but mostly from injuries and strange mechanical failures. Were there people against him? Probably many. On his own team? Maybe. Sabotage? Probably not. Negligence? Surely.

In the end Ben Spies suffered a premature retirement due to injuries. Nobody can fix that.

What is amazing to me is he never crashed much until he was on the factory team in MotoGP. Apparently he was trying to grab the last few tenths he needed every weekend. I sure wish it didn't end this way, but I loved his career and appreciate the level he took it to. Bravo!
Very well said !!!! +1000 !!!!
__________________
Me
I am usually drunk when I post so dont take it personally !
2010 KTM 990
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #5172
azkiwi
message in a bottle
 
azkiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Upstate AZ
Oddometer: 9,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
What is amazing to me is he never crashed much until he was on the factory team in MotoGP.
MGP can be a soul-crusher for some. The level of competition, political swamp, and pressure to achieve results from the first time your wheel touches the track, all make it an intensely difficult environment for newcomers. Its hard to say whether Ben would have been better off in the circus without Mary, but I can certainly understand why he kept her around.
__________________

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #5173
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
I'm sad to see Ben go... like you guys said, I'm sad to see him not reach his full potential. It just seems like he could have gone further if it hadn't been for that horrible second season on the yamaha and the injuries that followed on the duck.

I have enjoyed his race commentary and hope he finds a home enlightening us through his commentary on the races.
Not to pick nits, but the injury that ended his career happened on the Yamaha.

Not really the Yamaha's fault either as it happened in the treacherous, monsoon-like conditions at Sepang. But certainly the culmination of a terrible year in every respect.
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #5174
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Lewisville, NC
Oddometer: 380
Ben's worst enemy seemed to be his own attitude about the travel and food. He claims he started to come to grip with it , but I'm not convinced.
All the crashes and then trying to get back on too soon would be enough to demoralize the best of them .
He and his manager Mom, never were exactly the darlings of the GP circus either .
GP is about as tight arsed as they come when it decides who to accept in to the fold. Any talk at all that denigrates the Euro centric way of doing things will not get you much love in return.

I had higher expectations from Ben when he left WSBK, and still think that with better management and better team support he would have been more of a front runner or contender.
I will miss his sort of sarcastic style with the press , and wish him well.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #5175
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence
 
HarveyMushman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 16,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
Ben's worst enemy seemed to be his own attitude about the travel and food. He claims he started to come to grip with it , but I'm not convinced.
You travel and dine with him?

Quote:
GP is about as tight arsed as they come when it decides who to accept in to the fold. Any talk at all that denigrates the Euro centric way of doing things will not get you much love in return.
Yeah. He probably should have established a home base in Euroland. Italy, maybe. Not to mention ease up on all the derogatory comments about Euro folks, Italians especially.
__________________
Tim

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014