http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Oct/1310281166.h

What a gentleman..........
Fixed link:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Oct/1310281166.htm

Mat Mladin on Spies' Retirement From Racing

by dean adams
Monday, October 28, 2013

Quote:
Newly retired racer Ben Spies will be known for many things in his career: Spies won the WSBK world title in his first try, easily knocked back Rookie of the Year honors in Grand Prix and won a GP at one of the most historic tracks in the world--Assen.

That said, what Spies may well be most well known for is his intense rivalry with Australian Mat Mladin when the pair raced factory Suzuki Superbikes for Yoshimura here in the US. Spies and Mladin hated each other more than any two teammates since the era when Wayne Rainey and Fred Merkel barely tolerated each other in the mid-1980s on Team Honda.

So, what does Mladin think of Spies' early retirement? Judging by his response, Spies and Mladin won't be arranging a traveling pub show where they offer warm tributes, toasting the good old days.

Asked for comment on Spies retirement, Mladin responded with just two words: "F*#king pussy."

Mladin refused to be drawn out on the subject, saying "You got my quote."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #5192
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
Handicapped by injuries is a pretty generous way of chalking it up. He was regularly beaten (while healthy and with a working motorcycle) by satellite riders. He seemed like a nice guy and a solid rider, but was not factory-caliber.
If I am not mistaken, he also won the WSBK title, his rookie year. How many guys do that?

I think his jump to the factory team in MotoGP, 2011, was just bad luck and mechanicals, and went down hill from there.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #5193
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Fixed link:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Oct/1310281166.htm

Mat Mladin on Spies' Retirement From Racing

by dean adams
Monday, October 28, 2013

What a dirtball....I remember when Hayden beat him for the AMA Superbike Championship at VIR, the crybaby wouldn't even come to the podium.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #5194
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
What a dirtball....I remember when Hayden beat him for the AMA Superbike Championship at VIR, the crybaby wouldn't even come to the podium.
Eh, Spies is the one that knocked him off his high horse...not surprised in animosity there. Maybe Spies should return the sentiment to Mladin, for wanting to stay and sandbag in AMA and not try WSBK or MotoGP.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #5195
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
I read Mladin's dig as his idea of a joke.

JMHO.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #5196
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
If I am not mistaken, he also won the WSBK title, his rookie year. How many guys do that?
Sorry, I was just talking about his MotoGP time.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #5197
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
Sorry, I was just talking about his MotoGP time.
I hear ya. He did not live up to a lot of our expectations for him. And its safe to say, Spies at Tech 3 was better than Spies on the factory bike...which still astounds me...but bad luck...and a long streak of it, can do that.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #5198
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
I hear ya. He did not live up to a lot of our expectations for him. And its safe to say, Spies at Tech 3 was better than Spies on the factory bike...which still astounds me...but bad luck...and a long streak of it, can do that.
Hey, he won a race. Assen. Was on the podium a few times. Very few other riders get anywhere near that far.

2011 1 - 1st, 1 - 2nd, 2 - 3rd, 5th in the championship
Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #5199
DougZ73
Fading off.........

With Colin stuck in CRT hell, and Hayden on the Turnip Truck, for some of us, Spies was the great American hope...and we thought he was gonna set the world of GP on fire, similar to the way MM is now for Honda and the Spaniards.

I am a Spies fan, and wish he did not have all the bad luck he had in the GP years. I remember thinking when he came up t GP.."great, someone else to push Hayden further back".

But for now, I'll just be happy that Nicky finished ahead of Dovi this past weekend.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #5200
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
With Colin stuck in CRT hell, and Hayden on the Turnip Truck, for some of us, Spies was the great American hope...and we thought he was gonna set the world of GP on fire, similar to the way MM is now for Honda and the Spaniards.

I am a Spies fan, and wish he did not have all the bad luck he had in the GP years. I remember thinking when he came up t GP.."great, someone else to push Hayden further back".

But for now, I'll just be happy that Nicky finished ahead of Dovi this past weekend.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #5201
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Spies did admirably well in his first year on the Tech 3 Team, and did well again in his first year on the Factory Yamaha.

It was the second year on the factory team, 2012, that it all went pear shaped. He showed occasional form and had a multitude of problems that were out of his control, his team letting him down several times, and, of course, he made a few of his own mistakes.

By mid year it was all over. Politics and unpleasantries taking over. Badly broken shoulder at Sepang and, for all intents and purposes, that was all she wrote. Never healthy enough to ride to any potential again.

There's plenty of whispers that he might not be done yet. But he still needs to have the right shoulder heal.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #5202
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
I read Mladin's dig as his idea of a joke.

JMHO.

Your onto it.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #5203
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
Your onto it.
Agreed...His first year in WSBK MM (the original MM) would often tweet compliments to Spies. I would bet he sent him a quick text or a phonecall when the retirement was announced.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #5204
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Spies problem was the Yamaha and trying to make the next step on the bike. He is a point and squirt rider and only Lorenzo can get anything out of the Yamaha. He also let shit get in his head. I always felt he needed a manager/ riding coach that was a former GP rider and not his mom. Someone to keep him focused.

When he tried to find that extra time he would crash all over the place. Maybe if he had a Honda he would have done better. I thought for sure 2012 would be his year looking at the pre season testing times.

Ben said once that its easier to win a championship on WSBK than it is to win 1 race in motoGP. I hope his shoulder heals and he comes back to at least WSBK.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #5205
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 780
Earlier in his career he had that coach in K.S. but Mary knew more than Kevin and split them up. I was witness to an uncomfortable scene in a restaurant between Kevin and Mary at VIR (actually at New Boston where we were staying) then at Miller between Mary and the Yosh guy's in the pit area. Later I was having dinner and met some Yamaha guys they were having a big yuk over the "Drama" at the Yosh pits and saying they wouldn't put up with that kind of sh??.
WR250R
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote