Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #5251
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
1. There is no GPS input into the ECU, so the way the software engineers calculate it is by comparing wheel speed, lean angle, gear, throttle position and several other factors against an internal data map of the track. They are then using the timing loops as calibration on each lap.

In other words, you can't remove positional awareness from the software unless you mandate spec software. Which is (hopefully) what Dorna will do in 2017.
I was under the impression that the multiple sectors in the timing loop allowed for "sector awareness" and that was a big part of the calculations. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
2. Positional awareness is a logical step in vehicle electronics. GPS is becoming ubiquitous, and more and more mapping data is becoming available, complete with ever more detail on the roads themselves. I expect road-specific electronics to make their way into high-end cars in a couple of years times, and onto bikes in 5-10 years time. It's a great USP for a high-end sports bike, and the data exists. The programming involved is relatively trivial, and there is more and more data available and being shared. Audi is already trialling cars which communicate with each other in Germany, passing traffic data and data about roads between specially adapted vehicles, and as sensors increase on vehicles, the amount of data sent will increase. Combine that with weather data and adaptive algorithms and you have vehicles with software mappings for every corner in the world.
This is probably getting off-topic, but I see a huge difference between vehicles sharing data automagically in a mesh format and having a pre-populated database of road conditions. Given how many issues there are with the presence or lack of a road in a given place near here, the idea that the bike could have pre-existing knowledge of the ideal settings for each corner seems rather like a pipe dream. Again, I see adaptive algorithms—quite likely with input from nearby vehicles as well as roadway sensors and the like—as likely to be a staple of future vehicles, as we already have basic adaptive systems in the form of traction control, ABS and the like, but refining the adaptive algorithms seems far more road-oriented than trying to prebuild settings for every corner. I could easily see good data collection for high-traffic areas, but I'm not sure if any roads in Vermont qualify under that description.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding how the systems work, as I learned most of what I know via the Internet...which, as we all know, is always right.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #5252
misanthropic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I appreciate the pro electronic viewpoint but other than an ECU to control fueling for the engine I wish they were banned.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #5253
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
The softer tire is a cheap and easy solution to allow the CRT and now "open" bikes to be closer to the front.

Perfect? Nah. But a pretty simple and tidy bandaid.

And I am not 100% sure about next year, but I think the extra soft tire will still be there. The factories could have it too, if they would just hand over their precious non spec software.

It is kind of a brilliant ploy if you ask me; they can have one or the other, but not both.

Oh, but the new season will start right away! Total excitement for that week after.

Now there's an idea......how about Dorna and Bridgestone hire this guy as a tyre tester? He could hit all the tracks a few weeks in advance, and let them know if the tyres are gunna last more than 10 laps....

They say they weren't testing the proddy bike, but it's got Nissin brakes..

http://www.mcnews.com.au/.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #5254
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,250
Actually, looking closer at those pix, it looks like there are three different bikes, or fairings, at least...???
Old 10-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #5255
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 6,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
Actually, looking closer at those pix, it looks like there are three different bikes, or fairings, at least...???
I suspect they just took all of the pics from the Honda press site and put them up, and those pics are from at least 2 different tests.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #5256
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Piece here at autosport.com where Lorenzo talks up his recent form - and justifiably.

But what chance does he really have?
JL has a chance, if MM makes a mistake, or something happens to him. Not very likely, but possible – a la Rossi/Valencia -06.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #5257
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 1,921
Just read the Motomatters "Opinion" on Puig vs. Alzamora.

VERY interesting.

Thanks David.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #5258
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 6,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
They say they weren't testing the proddy bike, but it's got Nissin brakes..

http://www.mcnews.com.au/.
Quote:
I suspect they just took all of the pics from the Honda press site and put them up, and those pics are from at least 2 different tests.
Krop, I thought I read a tweet of yours yesterday (could have been by some one else?) saying Gresini would use Nissin and Showa and that the others would probably have Ohlins and Brembo? Maybe I misunderstood.

I think the teams could use whatever they please, but Honda might have a say in lending support.

Just checked MCN.AU. Looks like Stoner was on one bike with Ohlins and Nissin and one with Ohlins and Brembo.

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #5259
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,381
DC, I can't find it at MotoMatters. Of which do you speak?

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #5260
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
DC, I can't find it at MotoMatters. Of which do you speak?

Brent
It is Oct 23rd: Puig http://m.motomatters.com/opinion/201...power_str.html
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #5261
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,607
I thought I harmed Spaulders say they need to use Nissan for one practice session to fill the requirement and or use it on the rear. Was on a plane watching the practice/qualifying and distracted.
dontlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #5262
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 6,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Krop, I thought I read a tweet of yours yesterday (could have been by some one else?) saying Gresini would use Nissin and Showa and that the others would probably have Ohlins and Brembo? Maybe I misunderstood.

I think the teams could use whatever they please, but Honda might have a say in lending support.

Just checked MCN.AU. Looks like Stoner was on one bike with Ohlins and Nissin and one with Ohlins and Brembo.

The bike comes with Nissin and Showa. Gresini will be using Nissin and Showa. If other teams want to dump Showa for Ohlins, that's up to them. I don't know what Aspar will be doing.

I can't find any images from the Sugo test, other than the 2 photos in the press releases, which are both on the RC213V with Ohlins. I suspect some sites have been using archive photos from previous tests.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #5263
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 6,914
Quote:
The bike comes with Nissin and Showa. Gresini will be using Nissin and Showa. If other teams want to dump Showa for Ohlins, that's up to them. I don't know what Aspar will be doing.

I can't find any images from the Sugo test, other than the 2 photos in the press releases, which are both on the RC213V with Ohlins. I suspect some sites have been using archive photos from previous tests.

Of course, this could provide an opportunity to develop Nissin and Showa into an advantage. Unlikely, IMHO, but could be.

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #5264
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,486
Michael Jordan out of AMA PRO for 2014, but looking at WSBK or MotoGP. Possibly wild-card entries in 2014 and a full effort in 2015.

It'd be cool to have a US based team in either series, I hope they can make it work.

JC

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #5265
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codewheeney View Post
Michael Jordan out of AMA PRO for 2014, but looking at WSBK or MotoGP. Possibly wild-card entries in 2014 and a full effort in 2015.

It'd be cool to have a US based team in either series, I hope they can make it work.

JC
Satellite Suzuki team in 2015?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote