User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 685
I love it.

You could go up to 125cc without many complications, but why bother?

My 50 will stay a 50 for a while. If I do decide to go bigger a 100cc kit will do 65mph while screaming. . .
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
My C70 will top out at 40, and its screaming. Its perfectly tuned, good compression, etc. I have no need to go faster but I wonder how people consistently get higher mph?
Add one tooth on front sprocket makes a difference.
MacNoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,299
Will this sprocket change change the high-g near neck snapping initial acceleration? Will I have to paddle away from stop lights?

Also, I have a fair amount of hills where I ride....often I realize I need to chug along in 1st year watching the day go by.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Pretty flat here. Acceleration away from a stop is still ok. But I can't tell you how well it will work on hills. There is an excellent Yahoo group for the C70.
MacNoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
slowlane OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
This C70 is currently running the 15 tooth (one up from stock) front sprocket. It was a very early addition I made to it. The bike takes off from a stop light just fine. I am going back to the 14 and might take a 13 along as well because I'll need the extra torque for my trip. One thing I would for sure recommend that you avoid is switching up the front sprocket and getting a larger rear tire together. I once put a 2.75-17 trails tire on my C70 instead of the stock 2.50 and it killed what little pep it had. For a larger tire I would stay with the 14 tooth.

Jacl-Kampuchea glad you like my little project.

chazbird thats cool that the Symbas seem to be good little bikes. I will admit there are a few things that I am not fond of with the C70's. The Symba's telescoping front suspension must be worlds better than the leading link of the C70, and the Honda's rear fender narrows down at the front, causing it to full of mud way to easy. I am glad that the SYM came down in price significantly. Who knows I probably could have talked the dealer down to a more reasonable cost back then.

slowlane screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 03:17 PM
slowlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
slowlane OP
Adventurer

The new rear shocks came today and I couldn't resist trying them on.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #22
bayoulubejim
Banned

Oddometer: 454
"bayoulubejim I actually read that whole thread a few weeks ago and its pretty cool but practically the opposite of what I have planned for my C70. I am actually going to be gearing it back down slightly for more torque/hill climbing ability. Where I am planning to go, I have heard that a bash guard is pretty much a necessity so it will definitely stay. I actually wouldn't mind upgrading to a slightly larger piston/cylinder, but the engine has been so darn reliable for so many miles that I am probably not going to mess with it."

Go into more detail on what you are planning to do.

Where? Lots of dirt? How long? Far?

Bigger bore and upgraded clutch will make things easier. Just saying.....
bayoulubejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 223
Very nice! I'll be watching this thread! I have a '77 Honda Trail 90 that I ride regularly.
I put about 3000 road miles on it over the past two summers. Longest single trip so
far has been about 130 miles. No problem!
Even though I just picked up a 76 Goldwing, the Trail 90 will be staying right here.
It's not for sale, so don't ask.
Good luck on your adventure!!!

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
slowlane OP
Adventurer

Offcenter I like those little Honda CT90-110's. The amazing reliability of the little Honda's never ceases to amaze me. It is one of the reasons that I am choosing to ride mine cross-country.

Yesterday I painted the bash guard and tonight I installed it and rode around a bit. The new shocks should work out good. They are a little stiff now but with a small load they should be perfect. The shocks are about 3/4" longer than stock so they move the tire away from the fender a bit which should help prevent it from packing with mud so easily. I also gave the Honda a quick wash because it was looking rather shabby.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Nice. Especially nice if it has 30k miles on it! The down-tube bash plate looks great, like stock. - if they made them stock. After riding a 100cc Honda step through SE Asia I can certainly see the use of a bash plate for some types of riding - for instance, it makes sliding over logs pretty easy. Did you make a cut out for the oil drain plug? Did you have to find a center stand elsewhere? Yours is a '82, right? With CDI?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Be still my pained and envying heart, but that is a beautiful CT...and that bashplate and its mount are gorgeous. major props.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
JHOLEAHOLE
junk show

Oddometer: 8
well done on the bash plate. i have really wanted to replace the rear shocks on mine for a while....and i imagine any replacement would be stiffer than the factory rears
JHOLEAHOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #28
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

I think the c70-100 Honda's are one of the most significant world changing vehicles of the 20th century, i.e. basically, this entails the model T, the airplane, and the Honda "Cub". Just look at that minimalist, yet complete "just so" functionality - made more apparent without the skirt.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #29
slowlane OP
Adventurer

JHOLEAHOLE yes these shocks are significantly stiffer than stock and they seem really well built which I can't say of some of the other replacement shocks for the C70's. I have bought 2 different sets of cheapo aftermarket shock sets from ebay and had one set blow out and start leaking oil after about 600 miles. I have a second set that has seemed to hold up but the shock tends to want to work its way off the lower bushing. These shocks were advertised for a Honda Z50 but they bolt right onto the C70. They are just slightly longer and I don't particularly care for the look of the raised rear, but this change was more about function than aesthetics. I will reinstall my NOS Honda rear shocks after my trip.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
slowlane OP
Adventurer

chazbird I agree with you totally. They deserve an important place in transportation history. It is just a shame that these bikes weren't available for very long in the U.S. The C70 is all of the things I like in a vehicle. They are economical, honest, and most importantly, fun.