User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
crash n bern OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Checking SE for electrical drain

The Shorai in my SE keeps going flat on me and before I throw a hissy fit about bad batteries I remembered that the original battery did the same thing. I thought that it may of sat around the showroom floor for too long and it was on it's way out. Now I'm thinking I could possibly have a power leakage somewhere that's draining the battery.

Now I have no accessories fitted and haven't played with the electrical's. I'm also electrically challenged. I do have a voltmeter though and can set it on 12 volts, ohms might be a challenge. How do I go about testing for this? Or do I take it to my auto electrician so he has the opportunity to tell me he doesn't do bikes.

I can take the battery out and check it over time to eliminate it, but that wont help me solve finding a leak in the system.

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Remove a battery cable and put an amp meter in sieries, this will tell you your amp draw.
(Be careful not to,turn on anything on or try to start it this way, you'll blow the fuse in the amp meter)
Your just testing for parasitic draw
Start pulling fuses till the amperage drops, that should help you identify the circuit with the draw.
Then start looking and testing that circuit.

You'll probably have some parasitic draw just to keep the clock memory running, but the amperage will be really low. I would guess way less than 1amp.

You need to use an amp meter rather than a volt meter, an amp meter will tell you how much current is being drawn from the battery. It's always going to be 12 volts.
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Max2 is correct.. Most voltmeters have an Amp setting on the dial. You also usually have to move the red lead of the meter to an "amp" plug on the meter.

I would remove the negative lead from the battery. Hook black lead of the meter to the negative terminal on the battery and the red lead to the now free cable. If you have parasitic draw it will now show on the meter. As said, do not turn on the bike's key. This type of amp meter has a very limited amount of current it can handle.

I was wondering how much time it takes to draw down your batteries? I've left my Adventure up to a month and not had a problem. I will plug in a Tender if I can't ride it for at least 2 weeks.

Good luck.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
If its a 950 make sure the carb heaters are on the ignition controlled acc2 circuit.......not the perminant live one

6732cash screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 08:30 AM
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
crash n bern OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try when I get a break from kiddie wrangling. I always use battery tenders, which is why I went the Shorai because you can leave them for 6 months or more. But my Shorai seems to go flat after a couple of months. I might keep it on tender, although that defeats the purpose of why I bought it.

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote