User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
robsuzuki OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Aerostich Darien liner

Hi all: In June I bought a used Darien (not the light - the original) from one of the inmates here. Getting cold - the Darien liner is $200.00 new. I'm sure there are lots of folks here that have the Darien - is the liner worth the money?. AND if not - anyone have any alternatives that you use and keep warm in ? THANK YOU , Rob
robsuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 799
I have a Darien but don't own nor have I tried the Darien liner jacket.
What I've used with great results
Gerbings heated jacket liner for cold days (think 20s - 50 for a high)
Gorewear winter bike (pedal) jacket for days where temps start in the 40s and get warmer.
Layering is key under the Darien and liner jacket, I prefer wool.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
el profe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I have the Kanetsu Darien liner now, but I went about 4 years without a zip-in liner. I have a 300 weight polarfleece and a heated vest that I used to use.

The only advantage of the liner is that it zips in and snaps at the cuffs. Otherwise, any layering system works just as well as the Darien liner, which is stupidly overpriced. I wouldn't have bought the one I have if I didn't get it used and for less than 1/2 price.

It is nice to walk into a cafe and be able to shed the whole jacket without having to take off 3 layers though.
el profe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,061
I went down to my local big outdoor retail shop that has a clearance section. I found a wind block fleece from "The South Butt" that was 35 bucks. The tag said the zipper was broken but it works fine for me. The red circle big box retail chain they also sell decent fleece for well under fifty bucks. If you need to you can have someone add the sleeve snaps but I don't miss them.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
I have the old style Darian I bought new with the Darian Fleece Liner. About the only advantage I see with the Darian Fleece is the zippers under the armpits (yes, I've used them many, many times) but are they worth the added price? That's for you to decide. Yes, they are nice to have when the temps warm up but not enough to take off the fleece completely.

FYI, I haven't left my fleece zipped into the jacket for many years, I just use it as the 2nd (or 3rd) layer with the Darian as the outer garment.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,545
I have a Darien jacket and wear various kinds of jackets under it.

I do happen to have a Kinetsu electric liner for the Darien, but I have NEVER zipped it into the Darien. I want the electric layer closer to my skin and farther from the single layer of GoreTex laminate.

Some of my current favorite jackets for under the Darien are a Columbia Half-life, a Marmot down jacket, a Pendelton wool shirtjac, and two different kinds of wind shirt. (Plus the 'stich Kinetsu electric jacket.)

I have stopped wearing fleece under my Darien -- the ones I have tend conduct breeze into the inner layers. For me fit at the neck is key and the fleece jackets I have all tend to gap or bunch. A crew collar can be better than a collar the prevents other collars from sealing.

Grinnin screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 02:21 PM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
el profe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
One thing I need to try is putting on the heated liner, then a tight fitting jacket or windbreaker over it to keep the heated liner in better contact with my arms and back. I have the right size liner, I'm just too skinny for it I guess. Zipping it into the jacket makes matters worse, now that I think of it.

Like others have said, the pit zips are nice, but usually when I get warm, I stop and pull the liner out.
el profe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
I have 3 or 4 "liners". One is just like the Darien, windproof\waterproof one side and fleece on the other. I lucked out that the zipper happens to be the same as the Darien stuff. end of the cuff has loops, I forget, how did the darien liner attach at the end of the sleeve?

This also works in Fieldsheer jackets.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
I received my Darien fleece liner as a Christmas gift last year.
Works absolutely great.
I commute year round. With the liner in I'm good to about 40 degrees with just a dress shirt (no t shirt) underneath.
Can't say enough good things about it!

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I have 3 or 4 "liners". One is just like the Darien, windproof\waterproof one side and fleece on the other. I lucked out that the zipper happens to be the same as the Darien stuff. end of the cuff has loops, I forget, how did the darien liner attach at the end of the sleeve?

This also works in Fieldsheer jackets.
Snaps at the cuffs.
ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
nealcassady
Novice

Oddometer: 368
I recently ordered a new Darien without the liner. I've been using a Polartec 300 fleece under it and it works great. Cost $35 on sale at EMS. I've tested Under Armor Cold Gear base layer, with a thin no-name fleece pullover, plus the heavy Polartec fleece and it's good to high 40s without electrics and without too much bulk. A wool shirt or sweater over the UA will work just as well. So if you want to be thrifty, find a high-quality, heavy-weight fleece. If you can find a Polartec in a generic or house brand on sale it's probably as good as you can do.

I picked up a used Darien liner in the flea market here. The zippers have changed in the newer Dariens and the older liners aren't compatible. I need to send it back and have the zippers changed to make it work as a zip-in. I am going to wire up either the Darien liner or the Polartec to make it a heated liner. At first I was planning to wire the Polartec but now that I have them I think maybe the Darien is the one to wire up since it has the full liner already and is less bulky. Then I'll have a zip-in electric option. If you can pick up the Aerostich used for around $50-70 it may be worth it, but I wouldn't pay retail for one.

nealcassady screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 07:02 AM
nealcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,256
My liner from Amazon came today. Pretty reasonable and it has armpit venting too. Will know how it works out when the weather drys out a bit. It's a medium but runs large. Got to figure out how to attach it to my Darien. It has button holes as it's supposed to be able to go into most military jackets.

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Jacket-L...liner+military

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,984
Darien liner is well made, comfortable and warm.