Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #46
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I'm fairly proud of my knife skills in the kitchen...the basis of any effective cook is efficient prep work, and a major component of that is knife work. I keep my knives in pretty good shape. I can definitely feel when the knife is working with me, or against me.

When my grandma was alive, she looked at my sharpening paraphernalia, and basically shamed me into relegating them to the bottom drawer, and just picking up the steel and water stone for 99.9% of my sharpening needs. The way Grandma does it, you go at it, with some basic indexing methods, and you'll get the angle you need most of the time, w/o the meticulous one-draw-at-a-time-being-careful-to-be-exaaaaactly-right kind of motion that she couldn't bother with. Then she's off getting shit done with her pretty damn sharp knife. Was it perfect? Fuck perfect, the chicken is deboned already, while you're still here masturbating with your oiled stones and guides. Then my aunt pretty much did the same thing, and I put the crap away and learned how to do a speedy tune and keep moving. Doesn't take long to get the hang of it, once you decide it's ok to experiment a little, and a messed up edge doesn't stay messed up for long. After all...it's not a holy grail...it's a tool.

I sharpen up to and including straight razors, so I tend to go for a fairly perfect edge. The geometry and final polish are generally perfect. My personal kitchen knives? Well, razor sharp santoku and everything else, but my general chef's knives I don't tend to put as much time into. The sharpness helps with some stuff like fish.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #47
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Edge-Pro
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #48
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I'm fairly proud of my knife skills in the kitchen...the basis of any effective cook is efficient prep work, and a major component of that is knife work. I keep my knives in pretty good shape. I can definitely feel when the knife is working with me, or against me.

When my grandma was alive, she looked at my sharpening paraphernalia, and basically shamed me into relegating them to the bottom drawer, and just picking up the steel and water stone for 99.9% of my sharpening needs. The way Grandma does it, you go at it, with some basic indexing methods, and you'll get the angle you need most of the time, w/o the meticulous one-draw-at-a-time-being-careful-to-be-exaaaaactly-right kind of motion that she couldn't bother with. Then she's off getting shit done with her pretty damn sharp knife. Was it perfect? Fuck perfect, the chicken is deboned already, while you're still here masturbating with your oiled stones and guides. Then my aunt pretty much did the same thing, and I put the crap away and learned how to do a speedy tune and keep moving. Doesn't take long to get the hang of it, once you decide it's ok to experiment a little, and a messed up edge doesn't stay messed up for long. After all...it's not a holy grail...it's a tool.
All my Henckels are still pretty darn good after 25 years of commercial use. May have taken them to a shop once or twice to rectify the angle on them. At Rc58 or so you need really good machines to grind them. Could take a very long time by hand and that's time I don't really have.

Always time for the stone & steel.

I did get the boss to buy us a Chef's Choice grinder, got good results with that with the cheaper knives, but holy shit trying to rectify the better ones such as Henckels with that if the angle is slightly wrong and you'll be pulling (masturbating....) the knife back on that machine about 500 times if not more.

And then someone stole it. Back to the stone/steel for the plastic handle Victorinox cheapies. Less than 2-3 minutes and......watch your fingers. Same with the Henkels but maybe 5-10 minutes. That I have time for, they are MY knives, please don't touch or even ask to use them.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #49
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Gotta tell you, I've been damn impressed with the cheap victorinox kitchen knives.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #50
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Mouse pad, wood and sand paper

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #51
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
Gotta tell you, I've been damn impressed with the cheap victorinox kitchen knives.
Yep...staff knives. But I use them when I have to beat on something. They also have the color coordinated to the cutting boards handles. Fish....Meat....Veggies etc...! Daily I only use the paring knives, buy them 10 at a time and always in colors, preferably yellow so I can see it and grab it faster. Black ones get lost....!

Victorinox paring knives....I can wear out one a month. That's OK....I dont have to pay for them. Some of the old ones I have at home in the shop and I sharpen them with a rock or concrete sometimes.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #52
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
I have that on its way.
In my mid time I tried this on a Ka-Bar BK17 that came from factory pretty dull and actually works!!
In before the knife merge. My dad taught me to do this type of sharpening on the bottom of a bowl 40 years ago. Here's a good video on using a stone.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #53
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,223
Thanks, indeed that was a good stone sharping video..
This guy make it look so easy.
I have a Japanes wet stone (400/1000) and can get my kitchen knife a good sharp.
But tried some 1095 "hunting" knifes and did more harm than good.. don't know if its me or what.. Hopefully the Work Sharp sharpener will do the trick on those.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #54
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,574
I used to manage the knives/electronics/optics department for a Sportsman's Warehouse, and we sold a dozen or so different knife-sharpening kits, and I tried them all.

By far, the Lansky was the easiest to use, and produced a perfect edge every time. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #55
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
In before the knife merge. My dad taught me to do this type of sharpening on the bottom of a bowl 40 years ago. Here's a good video on using a stone.

Great video, thanks!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #56
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,680
Bob Kramer is a great salesman, that's for sure.

One principle to remember about knives, is that two things affect sharpness. This goes for your kitchen gear, your field gear, or even your sword.

1. Edge geometry, the shape of those two planes intersecting, determine "how sharp."

2. Metallurgy and the heat treatment of your steel, determine "for how long."

I can put a razor's edge on a stainless crap butter knife. It just won't stay there forever. You can buy expensive stones, jigs, and tools, to get a consistent process made easier. You can find a handful of rocks in the woods that will do it too, if your technique and consistency is good enough. The secret, if there is one, is what Bob mentions in his video there, consistent angle and pressure... along with what I contend is an oft-unrecognized part, which is the condition of the edge. Those very fine stones, above 2000 grit, polish more than remove mass. A polished edge has no "tooth", and doesn't saw, it slices. It can be like a little lightsaber in your hand, and may not appear sharp using the usual calloused thumb test.

The sharpest blade, if not made of an adequate steel that was also properly heat treated to ensure edge retention will not stay sharp as long as one made for that purpose. Two knives of the exact same metal can be made for better edge retention, or easier field sharpening where you don't have all the fancy tools available. Some of the modern super-steels try to achieve both, with mixed results. It's always a trade-off, and there's no one knife that will do it all, all the time, as well as a specialized tool.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #57
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
How do you sharpen serated blades?
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #58
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastelloy-X View Post
How do you sharpen serated blades?
With rounded stones that fit the serration geometry.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #59
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
I sharpen up to and including straight razors, so I tend to go for a fairly perfect edge. The geometry and final polish are generally perfect. My personal kitchen knives? Well, razor sharp santoku and everything else, but my general chef's knives I don't tend to put as much time into. The sharpness helps with some stuff like fish.
Straight razors definitely fall into my 0.1%, given that it'd take me 30 yrs to grow a beard worth straight razoring.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #60
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
With rounded stones that fit the serration geometry.
I've also heard you sharpen serrations on the flat side of the blade with normal stones. Complete bunk or just another way?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: