Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #211
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 336
Just for shits and giggles, I test rode both the F6B and the standard Goldwing. That was a mistake. I liked them both too much and I'm only 38.

Although I currently own some big motorcycles, the sheer size and bulk both styles of Goldwings was a little bit concerning to me, especially the standard version with couch attached to the back-end....until I actually sat on it. And once under way, it was like a Jedi-mind trick...."this is not the wieght you were looking for".

For me personally, if I were in the market for one, I would go all in and get the grand-daddy, standard Goldwing.

Both were impressive machines....borderline, cars.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #212
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
I have always wanted to do something similar to this, but with a big luggage rack and a solo seat. I thought I would find a take off seat on fleabay and hack it up. Maybe get some of those flat gas cans that are meant for the back of a jeep and have them lay flat with a rack on top for your tent/sleeping bag etc. Nice to get another 5 gallons of range. I haven't looked or searched this thread, does anyone know of something someones done like that?
Check out MBL Innovations Sport Kit. Shouldn't be to hard to add a rack after that. Get an older GL1800 and turn it into the F6B the add what you want. If I had it to do over again I would have went that route instead of buying the F6.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #213
lost_too
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I pulled the trigger about a month ago. I am enjoying it. It is a mile muncher and does quite well in the twisties. Love the torque and very comfortable. Still have the DL650 but that is being neglected as of late.
lost_too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #214
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Are you liking it less than you hoped, Wannaklr? I still think its a great bike on paper and in the showroom, but haven't ridden one. What are your thoughts now?
Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #215
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

On paper and the test ride it was everything I could have wanted. I had a Valkyrie that I loved.

I have about 3200 miles on it and I just haven't gelled with it. Some of it is stuff I should have known about and some of it is things I glossed over and now pisses me off. I love the MOTOR, but that is about all I like about it at this time. I've tried two windshields and am just going to have to bite the bullet on a either a tall Honda shield or the Baggershield 19" with vent. I also still feel a stuttering or hesitation around 2500 rpms. Others have ridden it and don't notice any issue, I'm starting to think its in my head. I also can't seem to shift it correctly. I'll catch 2-3 false neutrals on almost every ride.

I have it half assed for sale in the ADV Flea Market and the F6B Riders forum.

After I put mine up for sale I got a email from a new owner that bought their Deluxe OTD (without tax) for $16,500. Since the Deluxe retails for $20,999 they are already being moved out with a $4500 discount. I can take a hit on selling it, but not that big a hit.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #216
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post

After I put mine up for sale I got a email from a new owner that bought their Deluxe OTD (without tax) for $16,500. Since the Deluxe retails for $20,999 they are already being moved out with a $4500 discount. I can take a hit on selling it, but not that big a hit.
Said it before, I'll say it again: No cruise, no ABS on a new 850 lb $20,000 cruiser?

It doesn't matter how nice the engine is (and it is nice), Honda just struck out on this one.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #217
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Said it before, I'll say it again: No cruise, no ABS on a new 850 lb $20,000 cruiser?

It doesn't matter how nice the engine is (and it is nice), Honda just struck out on this one.

Cakeeater
I completely agree and I'm going to have to live with it or take approx. a $5,000 dollar hit. I guess I'll need to lower the selling price to around $16,000 to even get any nibbles.

I really do feel stupid. I knew both of those things you mention going in, but I glossed over their perceived value to me. I really thought the aftermarket guys could get a CC that would be a simple install. There is a cc, but you have to be a machinist to make some brackets for a couple of pieces on the motor and then you end up with a ugly looking switch on the handle bar.

I do think If I had gelled with the bike those issues wouldn't bother me, but I haven't and they do.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #218
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
I completely agree and I'm going to have to live with it or take approx. a $5,000 dollar hit. I guess I'll need to lower the selling price to around $16,000 to even get any nibbles.

I really do feel stupid. I knew both of those things you mention going in, but I glossed over their perceived value to me. I really thought the aftermarket guys could get a CC that would be a simple install. There is a cc, but you have to be a machinist to make some brackets for a couple of pieces on the motor and then you end up with a ugly looking switch on the handle bar.

I do think If I had gelled with the bike those issues wouldn't bother me, but I haven't and they do.
Three years ago I would have thought: Cruise control? Silly!

Then I bought a bike with it. ... not just a throttle lock...but electronic cruise control. Fantastic. Up hills, down hills, same speed. I don't have to worry about going too fast and getting nailed by accident in a speed trap, I can rest my right wrist, it kicks off in a heartbeat when I touch the brakes or the clutch.

It makes long distance traveling so much more pleasant, and safer, me thinks.

And ABS: my very experienced brother crashed his non-abs vstrom to avoid a deer. Too much brake in a panic, down he went. Broken ribs in the middle of a cross country trip. People can debate all they want, but the system helps.

That Honda skipped these two is just...strange.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #219
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
That Honda skipped these two is just...strange.

Cakeeater
I agree and wish I hadn't spent the 20 to figure that out.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #220
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackybilly1 View Post
I like the lines of the bike and the concept as I am pro-Wing. It's instantly the most reliable bagger that can be had. But no ABS, no cruise control is probably going to leave anyone they attract to this new approach wanting more. The boxer 6 is smooth as silk, a torque monster and 5th gear is good from 30 to 130 mph...the lighter model will benefit from this and the suspension will get a break.

They had the right idea...just slightly missed the mark. I suspect it will do better in the twisties than a standard Wing but sometimes you have to ride along way to get to the twisties. The cruise control will be sorely missed on the interstate eating GW platform. The further I get from home, the "less is more" theory doesn't hold up. I wouldn't be surprised to see these features get resurrected on future models.

However, I like the way the handled the intrumentation.....

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...out-of-the-bag

Z
Is this a Joke ?
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #221
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
For me personally, if I were in the market for one, I would go all in and get the grand-daddy, standard Goldwing.

I went to buy the F6B, just had to sign papers and it was mine, they had discounted 2012 full 'wings sitting there. Got the ABS/NAV model for about 2k more than the F6B, didn't test ride either one...I don't test ride bikes before I buy them because I can find something I don't like about every single one, if I buy it I tend to find the things I like rather than the dislikes.

It's been great...30,000 miles since March 1st, the cruise control has been awesome and was the main selling point, if the F6B would have had just that one feature I might have bought it.

I'm planning to keep this bike for seven years or 400,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #222
Chuck Pryce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Ride the shit out of it Larryboy,and keep us posted.
Chuck Pryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #223
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I went to buy the F6B, just had to sign papers and it was mine, they had discounted 2012 full 'wings sitting there. Got the ABS/NAV model for about 2k more than the F6B, didn't test ride either one...I don't test ride bikes before I buy them because I can find something I don't like about every single one, if I buy it I tend to find the things I like rather than the dislikes.

It's been great...30,000 miles since March 1st, the cruise control has been awesome and was the main selling point, if the F6B would have had just that one feature I might have bought it.

I'm planning to keep this bike for seven years or 400,000 miles, whichever comes first.
If your in the LA basin like me, I think I know which dealer you are talking about.

I bought my little Tri Bonneville from a multi-line dealer, saw a row of Goldwings along the back wall. Some of the top-level Goldwings were marked 5K off MSRP.

I was told Goldwings have been a tough sell for a couple years now. He said it was time for Honda to update it beyond what they did in 2012.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #224
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackybilly1 View Post
I like the lines of the bike and the concept as I am pro-Wing. It's instantly the most reliable bagger that can be had. But no ABS, no cruise control is probably going to leave anyone they attract to this new approach wanting more. The boxer 6 is smooth as silk, a torque monster and 5th gear is good from 30 to 130 mph...the lighter model will benefit from this and the suspension will get a break.

They had the right idea...just slightly missed the mark. I suspect it will do better in the twisties than a standard Wing but sometimes you have to ride along way to get to the twisties. The cruise control will be sorely missed on the interstate eating GW platform. The further I get from home, the "less is more" theory doesn't hold up. I wouldn't be surprised to see these features get resurrected on future models.

However, I like the way the handled the intrumentation.....

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...out-of-the-bag

Z

Holy F man...got switches?
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #225
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote