ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
What forced me to find a solution was arriving at a meeting point for a Sunday ride, with people looking on I struggled with the gear leaver. I guess it really hadn't bothered me up to then up to then as like the commenter before me I snick neutral before stopping. This time I was jammed with 100 bikes and riders............ It was very embarrassing for me and the KTM.

I have the aftermarket slave, steel 2005> rod, ability to bleed correctly.

The solution was to drill the clutch basket.
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
mike.l OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Right ok...I do change into neutral before coming to a stop( it's a pain in the ass
when you're hiccuping through traffic). Point is I should be able to get neutral when
stopped. I was able to, up until a few months ago. I've changed the slave and
back plate. Now I gonna change the pushrod and clean the jet. If still no joy, then I'll
look at the booster, clutch basket and like you suggested, drill the clutch basket
(sounds a bit severe!).
mike.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
bloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Is there a way of telling if the oil pressure reg assembly has been upgraded withouth pulling the spring out and measuring? Is there a difference in the housing etc? I would like to check mine but not too sure what to look for.
I have had it a bit noisy on start up a couple times and finding neutral is a biatch right now. I have a new slave on its way. The rest of the clutch / oil jet, checks out.
Cheers.
The updated housing doesn't have a snapring to remove the spring, it just has a recessed hole the size of the spring with a washer in it. The whole housing must be removed and a washer slid out of a slot on the engine side of the housing to get the spring out.

Removing the big clutch cover, just as you would to remove the snapring and inspect the spring, should get you in far enough to see which housing you have.

It is possible you have the old housing but the upgraded piston and/or spring.. no way to check for that without removing the whole housing, IIRC. Other than the different spring retention setup, I'm not sure if there is any advantage to the newer housing as long as the spring and piston are updated.

For the record, my apparently OEM 2004 spring came in only .5mm under spec.. but it clearly wasn't doing its job adequately.
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #19
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.l View Post
Right ok...I do change into neutral before coming to a stop( it's a pain in the ass
when you're hiccuping through traffic). Point is I should be able to get neutral when
stopped. I was able to, up until a few months ago. I've changed the slave and
back plate. Now I gonna change the pushrod and clean the jet. If still no joy, then I'll
look at the booster, clutch basket and like you suggested, drill the clutch basket
(sounds a bit severe!).
I understand. I did it with the intention off using a larger oil jet but I did not get around to changing it when I needed the bike. I just could not believe the difference. Never did fit a bigger oil jet........... Left the #30 in it.

Bloc you are the second person to say this about the new valve....... good enough for me I'll order one in. The 04s were early in the production..... I love mine
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
K2m, I also did the Meoni mod to my clutch basket with the intent to install a larger oil jet.
When I drilled mine out to .50mm, the clutch drag when warm was TERRIBLE!
I think the additional holes in the clutch basket exacerbate the oil drag for any given oil jet
size. I tried .40mm and .36mm, and it was still impossible to find neutral.
Went back to the .30, and can happily find neutral when stopped again!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 884
Thanks Bloc, I will have to check one day. The list of things to do is getting longer !
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #22
mike.l OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.l View Post
Replaced the the slave+backing plate with new Oberon kit and it's working well except
I still can't get neutral when I'm stopped in traffic. What else should I be looking to fix
this problem...possibly the clutch itself or push rod.
Any ideas would be a help!
A few weeks on and my 05' 950 adventure clutch issues continue! Changed the slave, re-kitted the master, changed the pushrod(old one looked ok)...anyway long story short, the previous owner had the clutch basket apart and forgot to line up the dots on the pressure booster when putting it back together, resulting in the whole basket being well loose and so damaging the 3 legged spline, the booster, nut and washer. Fortunately looks like the plates are ok'ish if I gently file down the teeth down a little.

Anyway question:
Is there anything else I should know about?
+ A friend said there's a tool I need to get, to hold in the basket when tightening it all up again. Anyone know about this/have a part number. Is this an expensive KTM tool or can I get a universal one?
mike.l is offline   Reply With Quote