Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #91
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I am, as they say, not getting any younger & thinking lighter bike after my Mexico/GT trip in Jan, come spring. I rode a 2012 wee in August & I liked it from a short tryout. I am looking at a switch over to Wee. I saw a 2012 on ebay dealer ad for under $7k recently. My closest dealer wants $7800 & they don't know MC's(newly bought the place & as KY is ATV crazy thats their thing) so warranty support would be weak-meaning like usual for me, I don't care where it comes from if the price justifies the buy. A fly & drive suits me well.
So. yes I'm moving toward a wee, warts & all. Truth is my 1150R has served me well & a great ride. I'm short & don't see the "GS craze" as an answer to anything I want to do on a bike at 69 yrs old! Dirt riding is not my area these days & if it was I sure as hell wouldn't buy a humongous bike to do it. A wee will get lowered to suit me.Links,seat,forks,etc..
Ace, is yours gone yet? Are you ready for "some Mexico & GT"?
My Wee isn't lowered and still will scrape the centerstand on big Mexican speedbumps while 2up. Just have to keep it in mind to be cautious.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #92
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,261
I've kind of narrowed my targets to a WEE, or a Tiger 955i. (with spokes of course)

I worry about the durability of the mag wheels on either bike (the Tiger had spokes in it's earlier versions)

The Tiger is 50lbs heavier, but about 50% more motor also. Anyone reading this ridden both? I will be doing some Jeep roads, and easy trails with rocks.

What skid plate is best? (for both) What about tires for offroad use as I described. Thanks
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #93
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmSC View Post
I find it funny that everyone tries to compare the Wee to bikes costing twice as much and then bash it. When I was looking at a new bike I liked the Wee because of what it is. A very capable all around bike thats affordable. Im not sure there's much else that is close to a Wee that compares right now.

good obsevation!
if one would take a look at forums of bikes "better" than the Wee, you'll find the same complaints about seats, windshields, tires, brakes, etc. And to get these "better" bikes with similar issues you get to pay 50% more. Also, any bike you buy will get personalized with farkles or whatever you feel a need to install. I can't think of one bike to buy that would not need stuff added.

I am very happy with my 2012 Wee but cannot compare it to prior models as I've never ridden one. I do notice my Wee shares brake components (one example) with bikes costing nearly double. I think that's great for a "cheap" bike.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #94
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
My Wee isn't lowered and still will scrape the centerstand on big Mexican speedbumps while 2up. Just have to keep it in mind to be cautious.
In Mexico I ride with plenty of luggage but fat chance my wife will be on the back that far from home.So, when I lower a new Wee, will it clear most topes with a 215# rider plus luggage?

kantuckid screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:27 AM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #95
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
What bike is better or equal to a V-Strom 650?
Comparison’s criteria are:
  • Price is equal, OK, may be 10% more
This is easy!
Nothing

WeeStrom ain't a great bike. It's a good bike at an unbeatable price. As such, it stands alone.
But if you put enough $ into a Wee's suspension to make a great bike out of it, it has several real competitors.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #96
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
What bike is better or equal to a V-Strom 650?
Comparison’s criteria are:
  • Price is equal, OK, may be 10% more
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
[/LIST]This is easy!
Nothing

WeeStrom ain't a great bike. It's a good bike at an unbeatable price. As such, it stands alone.
^^^^^^ +1

Quote:
Honda NC700 is excluded due to its strange design and pervert nature.
You know, they used to say that about the wee.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #97
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
ya know this pissing match reminds me of something: a man walks into a tea shop in france. the shop keeper tells him about all the tea flavors and aromas. how some are 10% aroma and 90%substance.
so the guy who walked in says " where I come from we have F A R Teee , 10% substance and 90% aroma. the
S h i tee is 90% substance and 10% aroma.

its good to know we can have these pissing matches about the wee, because without it there isn't anytthing out there unless you use the sv650 as a table of measure.

MaN DID YOU TOTALLY SCREW UP A GOOD JOKE!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #98
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Why do people compare the DL650 to liter+ bikes? Shouldn't they be comparing the DL1000 to the other bikes?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #99
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Why do people compare the DL650 to liter+ bikes? Shouldn't they be comparing the DL1000 to the other bikes?
Even some magazines do. Might have something to do with the fact that DL1000 is not available in Europe any more.

But yes, it is a bit awkward, when one bike costs roughly half compared to others! Wonder why Wee's competitors, like Versys 650, NC700X, or F650/700 twin don't seem to get the same treatment?

Pecha72 screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 11:44 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #100
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Even some magazines do. Might have something to do with the fact that DL1000 is not available in Europe any more.

But yes, it is a bit awkward, when one bike costs roughly half compared to others! Wonder why Wee's competitors, like Versys 650, NC700X, or F650/700 twin don't seem to get the same treatment?
Probably because they are not as "full sized" as the Strom and the Strom is now a bit of a "standard".

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 05:56 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #101
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 293
I bought my '09 Wee for $5200 this year. It came with the Akropovic exhaust, center stand, bash plate, bar risers and upgraded rear suspension + other farkles. I put cartridge emulators & new springs in the front, added a Madstad bracket and K60's front and back. Love this bike. I was only a street rider until I acquired this bike. It's easy to service, runs on regular gas, and off the highway I get 58 mpg. Now, I only want to find more dirt roads. I still love my '08 Tiger for trips but as I am getting into my mid 50's I seem to want to slow things down a bit so I might unload the Tiger.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #102
Izrock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Comparisons like this are always fun to read. Presently we have 2 '07 Wees in the garage. Mine bought to replace an FZ1 and a Venture Royale and my son's '07 home from school for Christmas break. His purchased after car made left turn in front of him and totalled his first bike - Ninja 500. Both purchased for some different and some similar reasons - mine to hopefully keep me out of jail (just couldn't stop twisting the throttle on the FZ1!) and to be able to continue to do long rides comfortably (wife doesn't ride much anymore so wanted something smaller). Son wanted something larger and more comfortable than his Ninja.
Izrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #103
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
At the same price point, there isn't really anything better or even the same as a V-Strom. I am sure a Triumph, BMW or others are better in certain areas but they also cost more. It's like comparing a Honda Accord with a BMW 5-series at twice the price. You can buy a well used (and abused) more premium bike at the same price you can a buy a brand new Strom. I like new.
Rubbish!

A Guzzi 650 NTX runs rings around the obese & butt-ugly Wee, has a centre-stand, hold 32 litres of fuel - AND has shaft-drive, a 21" front wheel and by now, previous owners will have replaced the OEM ignition modules with Dyna ignition.
Fly in the ointment is finding one - I had one, sold it - and have regretted it ever since.
The Guzzi is taller - but if you're too short, perhaps you shouldn't be going off-road.

If you can live with a bit more weight, an Aprilia Caponord is a vastly better road bike, a very much better dirt bike, costs less used, holds 24 litres of fuel, is supremely comfortable and has that unburstable Rotax 1000 V-twin engine.

Comparing a Strom to a Honda car is being over-generous - think of it as the two-wheeled Suzuki Jimny or an early Kia Sportage: it's built down to a price, and for good reason. This is perfectly fine for the penny-wise, the inexperienced, the tentative rider or as a first-time-ride. But with a little more knowledge or money or experience - most riders will pretty soon graduate to something else. Anything else, in fact.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #104
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
Well a close second cousin and maybe have $2K into it.

Junkyard SV650

I want to ride this beast! Bigger nobs\wider bars would be better though.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #105
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Just sold my 97 r1100gs and was seriously concidering a new Wee. But as usual, these threads confuse the crap out of me along with informing me with the good stuff. . I also owned a 2003 f650gs. I just found everything about maintaining a Beemer to be a pain in my area, only a dealer would touch them, plus part were expensive. What is it exactly that makes a Beemer "better" than Wee?
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote