Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
wavygravy87 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Why are all the new ADV bikes so complicated? Does everyone really want ABS, etc...?

Alright so I want a new bike. I ride a DR650 and love it to pieces, but I want something better suited to grinding slab all day, but still able to do a little forest service road riding. My problem is, I don't want a bike with ABS, traction control, immobilizer systems, and could even live without EFI.

What did you expect from a guy on a DR right?

After talking to a lot of my riding buddies, none of them are really interested in bikes with all those options either. Are we just weird? Or does everybody really want all these options? I had my heart set on a Super Tenere, and could score a decent deal on a new one, but the traction control and ABS, and the brake force management stuff seems a little ridiculous to me. The service manual for a Tenere is far and beyond the thickest one out of all the new Yamaha bikes. And this is the bike to ride the world on?

I considered a Tiger 800, but the smart key immobilizer "chip in the key" stuff sounds like a good way to be stranded with a perfect running bike. And turning the ABS off is a pain in the ass. I've heard of more than a couple instances of immobilizer problems...

Am I the only one that wants just a plain ole multi cylindered ADV tourer type bike without all the electronic nanny systems?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,038
Had my Super Tenere out in the Australian bush last Saturday. Ended up on a muddy black soil road with a muddy creek crossing. Coming up out of the crossing it was the traction control that got me to the top.

Twice the back wheel slipped to one side (would have had me on the deck) as it lost traction and twice the traction control "grabbed" it and I continued on.

Would not have made it out without it.

And the ABS has saved my bum lots of times... on the road and in the bush.

I was like you when i bought the S10.. now i wouldn't have a bike without electronic rider aids.

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Get a scrambler!!!
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
wavygravy87 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Get a scrambler!!!
DONT tempt me....

I've threatened to do it more than once!

I got to ride one the other day actually, and I really liked it. Maybe one with a windshield would be the ticket?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
scrameville06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Bonneville or scrambler cant go wrong.
scrameville06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
inglysh
Completely Custom

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
Had my Super Tenere out in the Australian bush last Saturday. Ended up on a muddy black soil road with a muddy creek crossing. Coming up out of the crossing it was the traction control that got me to the top.

Twice the back wheel slipped to one side (would have had me on the deck) as it lost traction and twice the traction control "grabbed" it and I continued on.

Would not have made it out without it.

And the ABS has saved my bum lots of times... on the road and in the bush.

I was like you when i bought the S10.. now i wouldn't have a bike without electronic rider aids.
Second this. first day on the s10, too hot going into a corner on a busy street and the abs saved my ass.

traveling on atv trail a guy in front of me stalled. following too close going uphill, was able to climb out of a rut and get around him w/o falling over. without the traction aid I am certain that I would have tumbled, possibly falling backward.

extremely happy with it thus far. eats up tarmac with ease. I am a way better rider on this bike than I was on my last.

only complaints thus far is the abrupt (to me) throttle response and the sharp headlight cutoff when cornering. hoping to cure the throttle with an ecu reflash... eventually. tried piaa 530 drivers to improve the illumination. not impressed.

she's also a pig in sand. atleast at my hands.

bike is a delight 2up, fyi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
1982 Yamaha Maxim 400
inglysh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavygravy87 View Post
Alright so I want a new bike. I ride a DR650 and love it to pieces, but I want something better suited to grinding slab all day, but still able to do a little forest service road riding. My problem is, I don't want a bike with ABS, traction control, immobilizer systems, and could even live without EFI.

What did you expect from a guy on a DR right?

After talking to a lot of my riding buddies, none of them are really interested in bikes with all those options either. Are we just weird? Or does everybody really want all these options? I had my heart set on a Super Tenere, and could score a decent deal on a new one, but the traction control and ABS, and the brake force management stuff seems a little ridiculous to me. The service manual for a Tenere is far and beyond the thickest one out of all the new Yamaha bikes. And this is the bike to ride the world on?

I considered a Tiger 800, but the smart key immobilizer "chip in the key" stuff sounds like a good way to be stranded with a perfect running bike. And turning the ABS off is a pain in the ass. I've heard of more than a couple instances of immobilizer problems...

Am I the only one that wants just a plain ole multi cylindered ADV tourer type bike without all the electronic nanny systems?
Hell no! You're not the only one!
I'm scared to death of either the Immobilizer going dead or losing / wearing out my key in the middle of fricking nowhere!
I don't care too much about ABS as long as it can be turned off, and traction control etc. but why do they have to weigh 650lbs and have the threat of an unfixable electrical problem???

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
wavygravy87 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglysh View Post
Second this. first day on the s10, too hot going into a corner on a busy street and the abs saved my ass.

traveling on atv trail a guy in front of me stalled. following too close going uphill, was able to climb out of a rut and get around him w/o falling over. without the traction aid I am certain that I would have tumbled, possibly falling backward.

extremely happy with it thus far. eats up tarmac with ease. I am a way better rider on this bike than I was on my last.

only complaints thus far is the abrupt (to me) throttle response and the sharp headlight cutoff when cornering. hoping to cure the throttle with an ecu reflash... eventually. tried piaa 530 drivers to improve the illumination. not impressed.

she's also a pig in sand. atleast at my hands.

bike is a delight 2up, fyi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I can't deny the fact that ABS and traction control are handy and do perform as they are intended (most of the time anyway). But it's just not something I want on a bike to travel to whoknowswhere on.

It would be awesome if you had the option of buying a bike with all the options, or without. But I can see why it's easier for the manufacturer or dealer to have just one version in each model, though.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
wavygravy87 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Hell no! You're not the only one!
I'm scared to death of either the Immobilizer going dead or losing / wearing out my key in the middle of fricking nowhere!
I don't care too much about ABS as long as it can be turned off, and traction control etc. but why do they have to weigh 650lbs and have the threat of an unfixable electrical problem???
Alright, so I'm not alone! Great news.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
I recently traded in my Guzzi V7 for a tiger 800XC for the do-it-all nature of the thing. I frigging love this bike. And I'm a luddite, too. I still have one of my Ducati Elefants for completely raw big-bike fun, but technology has definitely marched onward. And parts are getting harder to find for the simple (old) bikes.

Having the new bike makes living with it daily (and I am on it EVERY day) a lot easier. Easy starts, easy maintenance, strong brakes, great handling, and enough power to embarrass older sport bikes at a stoplight. And it's delivered smoothly. Rides two-up well. I'm sure a lot of the new breed of bike is similar in these traits.

My Elefant is like a Jeep CJ, and the Tiger is like a Jeep Rubicon. It's more capable, and it's less raw. Both have their place. It's easy to carry spares for EFI bikes, for what it's worth, if you're REALLY doing the around the world stuff. If you're not leaving a civilized country, just going camping, you'll probably find parts availability to be great on the new bikes.

Cheers
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #11
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
I rather agree. I wish you could buy a bike more based on options. They could sell a base model and enable the extra features as you paid more. It could be dealer enabled/downloaded as it's all primarily software. Ya, there's a couple sensors etc but nothing that wouldn't take a dealer less than an hour to install if designed right. I understand electronic suspension would be different so that's a major step up.

But quite honestly I'd rather spend the extra $1.5-2k on hard parts or luggage. I rode for decades without all that stuff just fine and don't need it. I like EFI with direct cable control and electronic ignition but that's about all I want.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 AM   #12
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 597
Like others said, If you want a basic all roads bike the Bonneville/Scambler will cope. Wouldn't try to get too serious in the dirt though.

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.

plodalong screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 03:51 AM
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #13
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,909
I don't agree that traction control got anyone out of any ditch or up any slope.

Nor do I agree that ABS got anyone around any corner,etc.

All that these things do is over ride poor throttle control or the effects of panic braking.

So yes..in a twisted,female logic kind of way,they sort of did achieve the things the people say....but they didn't give the tyres any extra grip off road and they didn't add or improve anything in corners.

All these gadgets do is over-ride or compensate for heavy handedness or bad technique.
Ultimately they'll lead to total dumbing down of rider ability and remove awareness of the consequences of not doing things more appropriately or more correctly.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #14
R0CKETMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
ABS is your friend on the road and in no way "dumbs down" your riding ability as was earlier suggested. On wet pavement it's a real bonus. The ability to turn it off when off road would be nice.

Traction control is something I could do without on a "do all" bike, but it sure is nice on the pavement when the unexpected occurs.

Ducati Multistrada 1200s Pikes Peak
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 AM   #15
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,130
I've got FI, ABS & immobilizer, no TC (not needed on a DL650 either) and I'm perfectly happy with them. The bike could go round the planet any day, problem is me, no time to do trips nowadays...

(and by far the loudest opposition against such systems almost always comes from riders with very little to no personal experience of them. No offence, and just my 0.02 - and I agree they DO make bikes more complicated, but the only way to avoid that these days is to keep your old bike.)