Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #451
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
The bike has grunt enough for quick overtaking. From 4000-8000rpm it is really sweet. I am loving it. Yesterday, I deflorished my food pegs .
Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #452
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortious View Post
On the other hand, is the NC700 worth $1000 more? What about the WeeStrom? I have a feeling (without riding either bike) that the NC700 has great COG but it is about as fun as a sewing machine, and the WeeStrom has the grunt and fun factor, but a bit tipsy around town. Also, the Wee is uglier in my opinion.
That´s a lot of assumptions, if you haven´t ridden those bikes. Test ride could change your views - won´t help with Wee´s ugliness, but try not to pass by any mirrored walls, and you should be fine....
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #453
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
let me comment on the Wee real quick: the "tipsiness" disappears quickly and it's a joy around town/in traffic/anywhere really. for me at least. and i'm coming from an SV650..
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #454
sodapop
Caffeinated

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Just watched both parts and I'm still confused about which bike to buy. I really like how light and nimble it looks, but the lack of grunt reminds me a bit too much of my Ninja 250.

Yeah, it can be fun to wring it out, but there are those times when a car is near you and you twist the throttle and everything feels like slow motion because you are in the wrong gear. To be honest, even in the right gear, sometimes full throttle will be more noise than forward motion. I'm not saying it is slow, but I hope I don't get bored with it as fast as a 250...

On the other hand, is the NC700 worth $1000 more? What about the WeeStrom? I have a feeling (without riding either bike) that the NC700 has great COG but it is about as fun as a sewing machine, and the WeeStrom has the grunt and fun factor, but a bit tipsy around town. Also, the Wee is uglier in my opinion.

If I had to pull the trigger today, the 500x is very enticing based on price and how I would use it in a big city, but for all of those long distance adventures that I say I'm going to do but never do...I'd rather go with something else.

Sincerely,

Confused
Those are really good questions, especially when you add long distance rides to the requirements. I'm not at all tempted by the NC700, but the CB500X versus DL650 (and Versys) is tough.

Gone: 2007 Honda VFR800A, 2006 Suzuki SV650S, 2002 KTM 125SX, 1994 Yamaha YZF750R, 1992 Honda CBR600R, 1991 Suzuki GSXR750R, 1989 Yamaha FZR600R, 1983 Honda CR80R, 1982 Honda XR80R, 1979 Yamaha GT80
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #455
Tortious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I should also add that I am 6ft tall, and although that isn't huge, for some reason there a few bikes that fit my proportions. In general, I have found that any bike not 800cc or above seems to make me look like a bit of a wanker when sitting on them. For instance, I love the Guzzi V7, but it does not work for me at all when sitting on it. I also look ridiculous on most standards. I'm afraid to sit on a 500X and take a picture. I enjoy the control of being flat-footed, but not if I'm going to look like a weirdo on the bike. Superficial? Maybe.
Tortious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #456
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GezwindeSpoed View Post
The bike has grunt enough for quick overtaking. From 4000-8000rpm it is really sweet. I am loving it. Yesterday, I deflorished my food pegs .
I suspect English is not your first language and I know you mean foot not food (I'm not the typo police), but what does "deflorished" mean?
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #457
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I should also add that I am 6ft tall, and although that isn't huge, for some reason there a few bikes that fit my proportions. In general, I have found that any bike not 800cc or above seems to make me look like a bit of a wanker when sitting on them. For instance, I love the Guzzi V7, but it does not work for me at all when sitting on it. I also look ridiculous on most standards. I'm afraid to sit on a 500X and take a picture. I enjoy the control of being flat-footed, but not if I'm going to look like a weirdo on the bike. Superficial? Maybe.

Different strokes. How you look on the bike matters to you. I'm fat and ugly off the bike so I couldn't give a rats ass how I look on a bike if the bike works for me. Ya gots to buy what makes you happy.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #458
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
I suspect deflorished is deflowered, as in he took their cherry.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #459
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I suspect deflorished is deflowered, as in he took their cherry.
Gotcha
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #460
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,359
Update on the waiting. The 500X should be shipping to dealers after next week.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #461
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJRM View Post
The big question now: Do I sell my T-Dub to help offset the expense of a new bike purchase?! My wife is dead-set against my doing so, as she worries that we will no longer be able to go "T-Dubbing" together
I may be late to the party on this, but you'd be a blasted fool to sell it. When she suggests selling it, if you still could better use the money elsewhere then do so. Keeping the option of riding together is muy importante. Just take the munchkin to the grandparents and then go T-Dubbing. To be clear, this is NOT about "She Who Must Be Obeyed", its about keeping something that the two of you both enjoy doing together.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #462
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Just watched both parts and I'm still confused about which bike to buy. I really like how light and nimble it looks, but the lack of grunt reminds me a bit too much of my Ninja 250.

Yeah, it can be fun to wring it out, but there are those times when a car is near you and you twist the throttle and everything feels like slow motion because you are in the wrong gear. To be honest, even in the right gear, sometimes full throttle will be more noise than forward motion. I'm not saying it is slow, but I hope I don't get bored with it as fast as a 250...

If I had to pull the trigger today, the 500x is very enticing based on price and how I would use it in a big city, but for all of those long distance adventures that I say I'm going to do but never do...I'd rather go with something else.

Sincerely,

Confused

The Wee is ugly in damned near anyone's opinion,,,,, 'cept the fan boys. I'm sure someone will come out the woodwork extolling the handsome virtues of Weedom.

I have a DL650 and it took alot of modifying for me to like it. I hated it when I first bought it and would have quickly sold it if it were not for hitting a deer on the very next ride. I'd say the 500X might well be the bee's knees for this price point and that seat height.

Me, I would buy a used KTM950 but I could see me buying the 500X for my wife and doing some modding. I think she'll like the 500X,,,,, I couldn't make her take the DL. Too heavy, too tall, too tippy and what,,,,,,,, too damned ugly!!!!
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #463
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I suspect English is not your first language and I know you mean foot not food (I'm not the typo police), but what does "deflorished" mean?
Sharp

Expressions are the most difficult to translate.

And indeed, I scrape the fooT pegs on the floor.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #464
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,902
Any 600 Transalp owners own or had a ride of the 500 Honda yet?

Would like any comparison for use on tar and easy dirt roads thanks.

500X should be out over here in a few weeks time.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #465
Juanjo-X
X Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Luggage from Shad

It seems they already have stuff for the cb500(r/f/x) 2013....

http://clubcb500x.foroactivo.com/t71...lsas-video#146

Some daytrippin' reports (in spanish)
Club CB500X Forum admin
Juanjo-X is offline   Reply With Quote