Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #466
staib
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayRound View Post
...Unfortunately I did not get to test it above 50mph so cannot judge how it is at motorway speeds. Clutch was light and easy to find the biting point and hold it...
I tested a CB500X yesterday from Tippets, so I could do a faster run down the A3 out of London

I had ridden there on my '02 CB500S and was interested to feel the difference, particularly at speed, with the latest CB.

Everything felt 'smoother' especially the clutch, and the brakes felt considerably more assertive.

And the ABS works! I did an impromptu test with a quick grab of front brake (only at 30mph) when I saw some sand on the road. 'Tak tak tak' went the brake calipers, and no crash followed!

Even though there is less bhp with the newer CB500, the 'feel' of power (torque?) seems better distributed, and more readily available. The old CB has a sort of turbo effect from 8k revs. The newer one has borrowed some of that power and spread it around more evenly. I had no issue being able to squirt through traffic or maintain sensible speeds on the road.

The main difference was radically better wind protection. The screen was set on the highest setting (I'm 6' 1") and once on the open road I cranked up the throttle to get to the point where it was uncomfortably windy, but then quickly throttled back as I glanced down and saw 92mph! On my old CB (even with the S fairing) that feeling of being slightly battered (an open face helmet, didn't help) becomes evident at 65mph. So a significant aerodynamic improvement and a promising sign for anyone contemplating touring. At 70+ it felt very comfortable in the saddle.

What about miles per gallon?
Testing was into a 10mph headwind...

- 70mph = 60mpg
- 60mph = 80mpg
- 50mph = 95mpg

(Not sure if the readout is calibrated for US or UK gallons).

So, I think it's time to upgrade my CB ride

Cheers,
Nick
staib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #467
SnickterP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vguy View Post
I think he's pretty good.
... However, he sounds exactly like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.
I think he sounds like Christoph Waltz.

And I must say, after being sweet on the NC700X last year and on the fence about it, I finally bought one! Once I heard about the cb500x I was sure I would wait for it. Coming from a 250, I ws afraid I would loose the nimbleness and flickability that I grew so accustomed to. But to be honest, the nc's center of gravity is so low, it doesn't feel like it weighs anywhere close to it actually does. And the instant torque is a great thing. I'm still psyched on the cb500x, and can't wait to see them come into the dealer when they do. The nc is a little long I've noticed, and makes tight maneuvering a tad difficult.
2012 Honda NC700X - HONDABIKEPRO Skid Plate, Akropovic exhaust, Barkbusters hand guards, Givi Crash Bars, SW Motech Trax Top Box, Side Cases, and Alu Rack, Factory heated grips and center stand, TKC80 front and K60 Scout rear tires.
2010 Kawasaki KLX250SF - Heated grips, Powermadd Hand guards, TCI rack and windscreen
SnickterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #468
F_R_E_D
Lurker

Oddometer: 24
just got mine. am very pleased

added some bits.
centre stand
barkbusters
oxford heated grips
hepco & becker c-bow bags
hepco & becker tank and engine bars

F_R_E_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #469
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by F_R_E_D View Post
just got mine. am very pleased ...
Congrats!
B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #470
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNoobie View Post
Dunno. What do you want for a monthly payment, and how much could you afford up-front? And how much of a monthly payment would your credit score/current debt to income ratio support?

My local credit union is offering 2.74% for a 60 month term, up to 110% of the bike's value - so no down payment required.

Of course, you'd have to be able to swing the monthly payments!

My trusty HP12c calculator is telling me my monthly payments would be:

$17.85 per thousand for 2.74% for 60 months.
Or $107.12/month for $6,000
Or $124.97/month for $7,000

Now, I just need to convince the wife that we NEED a CB500X
Such a bargain...my XC payments are $263, zero down. And my dualsport is $141. That's $400 in motorcycle payments.

You guys are gettin' off easy.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #471
WhichWayRound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:

added some bits.
centre stand
barkbusters
oxford heated grips
hepco & becker c-bow bags
hepco & becker tank and engine bars
Nice extras, which barkbusters did you use for the X? Did they require any modifying or did they just bolt on?

Cheers
Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #472
F_R_E_D
Lurker

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Nice extras, which barkbusters did you use for the X? Did they require any modifying or did they just bolt on?

Cheers
VPS barkbusters. bolted on with no problems.
http://www.barkbusters.net/products/46.html
F_R_E_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #473
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,011
What is the OEM bar width on the X, including the end weights?
B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #474
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Has someone information about this bike's ability to carry two people? I recall reading something about an uncomfortable position in the back, but can't find the article anymore. I'm interested in this bike, but sadly it looks like its not really suitable for two ups and in Germany its only 300 (~ $400) cheaper than the NC700X which has the storage compartment in the front, but seams a bit less fun to ride...
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #475
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdn View Post
Has someone information about this bike's ability to carry two people? I recall reading something about an uncomfortable position in the back, but can't find the article anymore. I'm interested in this bike, but sadly it looks like its not really suitable for two ups and in Germany its only 300 (~ $400) cheaper than the NC700X which has the storage compartment in the front, but seams a bit less fun to ride...
That's odd. The 500 is at least 1000 cheaper here than the 700.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #476
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
just got mine. am very pleased

looks good,now go beat on it and tell me all the reasons I don't need one.
I can't decide between 4 or 5 models and I really need to eliminate a couple.

Everyone says "go ride them all and see what speaks to you",my problem is I like something about almost every bike!!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #477
WhichWayRound
Adventurer

Quote:
The bike carries 2 people fine however my g/f commented that the rear seat is not comfortable. She's used to her own bike or the back of my TA650.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #478
RedEX
NeverSatisfied

Quote:
I ended up with a 2012 V-Strom 650, but was very interested in the NC700. My girlfriend and I were only able to sit on the 700 inside the dealership, no test rides, but already our feet were bumping into each other, just sitting there. That turned me off to it pretty quickly, despite its appeal merely from specs alone. (Funny how we made do pretty well with an EX500 before that though!)
Current:
2012 V-Strom 650
RedEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #479
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
That's odd. The 500 is at least 1000 cheaper here than the 700.
I can't understand it either. The 500X costs 5990, the NC700X 6230, which gives us 240 (~ $317) difference. So its a personal choice what bike the get, not a financial one.

Quote:
The bike carries 2 people fine however my g/f commented that the rear seat is not comfortable. She's used to her own bike or the back of my TA650.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEX View Post
I ended up with a 2012 V-Strom 650, but was very interested in the NC700. My girlfriend and I were only able to sit on the 700 inside the dealership, no test rides, but already our feet were bumping into each other, just sitting there. That turned me off to it pretty quickly, despite its appeal merely from specs alone. (Funny how we made do pretty well with an EX500 before that though!)
Thanks for your feedback to both of you. When my girlfriend is back from her studies abroad I will take her to a dealer first thing in the morning and check it out myself (ourself?). Had hoped for some better news though. V-Strom is also nice, but harder to get here (only new, almost no used once available).
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #480
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
looks good,now go beat on it and tell me all the reasons I don't need one.
I can't decide between 4 or 5 models and I really need to eliminate a couple.

Everyone says "go ride them all and see what speaks to you",my problem is I like something about almost every bike!!
Fwiw, I have 4 models on my wish list (probably buying in 12 months).

The X is there for light-weight, cost of ownership (insurance/servicing/mpg) and just-about-enough bhp. Also, as a Yurpeen, it's a bike I could give to my son once he turns 19.

I can bore you with the others..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote