Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #586
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CB100 View Post
I just upgraded to the CB500X today.
Congrats on the new CB500X. Looks like you picked it up at Rainbow Honda.

There's a good ADV group in NWA, full of and laughter.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #587
71CB100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
Congrats on the new CB500X. Looks like you picked it up at Rainbow Honda.

There's a good ADV group in NWA, full of and laughter.

nlp
Yup that's where I picked it up. Thanks for pointing out the NWA group I will check that out.
71CB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #588
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJRM View Post
For a bike that is nothing more than a road bike dressed up in ADV clothing (i.e. not designed to venture off road), I have no idea as to why ABS is not standard on every one of these machines here in the US. I can see why one might want to opt for a non-ABS model if we were talking about a true dual sport, but not here. It's not like the extra $500 would deter 99% of the people who'll be buying these bikes from doing so, and, given the fact that many newer riders will gravitate towards it's purchase, that extra $500 would go A LONG way in improving rider safety.
FREEDOM of choice...and I like ABS. I wish a lot more bikes were offered with it, but I wouldn't want it forced on me.

On a bike like this, or a DL650, I'd install a switch to be able to turn it on and off. I'd definitely take a bike like the CB500X in the dirt. I wouldn't be riding whoops at speed or anything, but I already leave the pavement occasionally with my YX600 Radian on 16" rims and scant suspension travel. The CB500X or DL650 would be a drastic improvement, especially with a skid and handguards.

Kommando screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 05:02 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #589
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,559
I want the option to not have ABS. There should at least be a way to turn it off. On most vehicles that have ABS it can be disabled, and the brakes will still work fine. But why pay for something you are never going to use. It's like the $500 "security system" Harley tries to sell on every single bike, even a base Sportster. If you don't need it, it's just a waste of money.

As for a 500 not being any good for the freeway, it must not be much of a 500. Between a GS450L and a GS500E, I put close to 50,000 mostly freeway miles on bikes that size with no problems. I also put over 4,000 miles on an EX500 Ninja. It would outrun most 1500cc cruisers. If you are talking about touring in grand luxury, no. Then you need a Goldwing.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #590
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,593
CB500X space for 2up?

Does anybody yet know how the CB500X would be for going distance with a passenger? I'd like something with more room than my DR650SE with it's E45 topcase. The DL650 Wee seems spacious for us, as we're not big people, but it's a bit hefty and tall. Is the CB500X even close to as spacious?

We're 5'8"/30" inseam and 5'4"/30" inseam.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #591
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post

One common thing about everybody who does not like, or want ABS, seems to be, that they have not tried a modern system on a modern bike. Some of them might have tried it on a bike 10-20 years ago, and the way it worked, was very different back then. It has evolved a lot.

Then there's those, who have never even tried it, instead they've decided it's bad. And they are usually the ones, who have by far the strongest opinions on it. Surely we're all entitled to our opinions, though.
Yes, it is a question of opinion. Not always rational opinion when ABS systems do such a great job these days. Aren't insurance rates lower for ABS bikes? That should take care of the cost of ABS in the long run.

If these guys are so good, they are better than ABS, why are they so concerned about disabling ABS on their bikes? They are such good riders, they will never actuate the ABS, right? So what is the real issue here?

I've actuated the ABS on the front wheel only ONE time in thousands of miles of riding (on paved roads). But I'm glad it was there when I needed it that one time. And that one incident paid the ABS multiple times over.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #592
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
If these guys are so good, they are better than ABS, why are they so concerned about disabling ABS on their bikes? They are such good riders, they will never actuate the ABS, right? So what is the real issue here?
I'm an ABS fan too, but you're going off the deep end with this line of reasoning. There are some situations, especially in very loose conditions, where a non-ABS bike can stop shorter and with better control than a ABS bike. And folks that don't want ABS don't necessarily say they never skid a tire - they say they can ride better when they can occasionally skid a tire.

ABS is great and a huge advance for the average rider in the widest range of conditions, but it is not perfect and not the best for every rider in every condition.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #593
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'm an ABS fan too, but you're going off the deep end with this line of reasoning. There are some situations, especially in very loose conditions, where a non-ABS bike can stop shorter and with better control than a ABS bike. And folks that don't want ABS don't necessarily say they never skid a tire - they say they can ride better when they can occasionally skid a tire.

ABS is great and a huge advance for the average rider in the widest range of conditions, but it is not perfect and not the best for every rider in every condition.

- Mark

Bingo Mark,,,,, if I could e-mail you a cookie I would.

Lion dude,,,, you'd get a lump of coal.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #594
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
The CB500x may not be the right adventure bike for some, but it looks like it will be for me. It all depends on what you plan on using the bike for. Sure a wee strom may be a little better off road with it's 19" front tire, but if I bought that bike I would hear from the klr650 owners with a 21" front tire telling me how much better that bike is off road, and before you know it, I will be on a full blown motocross trying to make it street legal for the 99% of the time the bike will be on pavement. I am going to use the bike for back road riding just like I did with my shadow. Everyone says it's just a street bike, but there are different types of street bike. I think my shadow was a street bike, you ever try standing on the pegs on a shadow riding on a less than perfect road? And as far as the CB500x being the same bike as the cbr500r, Motorcycle Ergonomics has me on the CB500x with a 0% forward lean, and a 14% forward lean on the CBR500r. sure they use a lot of the same parts, but it's the riding position I'm looking at. I sat on all the new 500 Honda's and there is a difference besides the plastic.
Please don't take the water cooler banter as negative,,,,, I was just commenting on my "wishes". I like the CB500X and I haven't even seen one. Once they get well used I'll pick one up for my wife I think. By that time, the forums will be full of good ideas on cheap and easy mods for a 19inch front and possibly more travel.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #595
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
This bike does not have traction control, so bringing it into this discussion is not necessary.

One common thing about everybody who does not like, or want ABS, seems to be, that they have not tried a modern system on a modern bike. Some of them might have tried it on a bike 10-20 years ago, and the way it worked, was very different back then. It has evolved a lot.

Then there's those, who have never even tried it, instead they've decided it's bad. And they are usually the ones, who have by far the strongest opinions on it. Surely we're all entitled to our opinions, though.
I've tried it and still would rather they spent the money they spent on ABS {ABS costs even if you don't option it on your particular bike due to engineering costs} on more travel and a 19 inch front. But hey,,,,, that's juss me and my opinion. There are many opinions and that's juss one.

If they do force ABS on me, at least include an on-off switch. But once the do-gooders succeed in forcing it down our throats,,,,,, it sure won't be selectable. You know,,,,, cause the do-gooders know best an all.
Blue Skies Coming

Jud screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 10:40 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #596
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,253
Quote:
Very well said. I think they should (and they will) make it standard for road-going bikes, but also include an on/off-switch as standard, just like some models already have.

But the conversation about ABS, is still mostly driven by prejudice and ignorance.

Seat belts on cars first met some fierce opposition, because using them meant, that the driver or passenger could no more ´duck´ down quickly to the footspace and take cover, when the accident was coming.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #597
Juanjo-X
X Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Already owned a bike with ABS, said that, NEVER will buy another one without it...

Some daytrippin' reports (in spanish)
Club CB500X Forum admin
Juanjo-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #598
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
i am confused as to why the huge debate over ABS vs non ABS as this bike has ABS as an option. don't want ABS then buy the non ABS version..
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #599
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:

- Mark
Non ABS works better when the skidding tire can build a trench of sorts and material accumulates in front of the wheel. Like in deep gravel and some dirt situations. Gravel and sand on top of paved, or other hard surfaces do not allow for that. ABS or non-ABS won't work, both are likely to fail. Same as on ice. Overall, and for the great majority of riders, ABS is a great solution, like you said. If you are good, you will never engage it, no matter what. If you want to occasionally skid a tire, like you mentioned, you probably would buy something else other than a CB500X.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:50 AM
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #600
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Lion dude,,,, you'd get a lump of coal.
That's a great contribution to the conversation. I'm always willing to learn from others to improve my riding and knowledge about motorcycles. I wonder what else you can bring to the table.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:25 AM