Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #601
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
This bike will be ridden by many entry level motorcyclists, who will not have perfect braking skills. With ABS, they cannot lock the front, and instantly hit the floor, as is often the case, when a beginner gets surprised. Even more often, if there's something slippery on the tarmac, or its wet. Not staying on two wheels won't improve their odds to survive.

That fact alone makes the system very much worthwhile on this bike.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #602
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,691
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh View Post

As for a 500 not being any good for the freeway, it must not be much of a 500. Between a gs450l and a gs500e, i put close to 50,000 mostly freeway miles on bikes that size with no problems. I also put over 4,000 miles on an ex500 ninja. It would outrun most 1500cc cruisers. If you are talking about touring in grand luxury, no. Then you need a goldwing.
+1
DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #603
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Does anybody yet know how the CB500X would be for going distance with a passenger? I'd like something with more room than my DR650SE with it's E45 topcase. The DL650 Wee seems spacious for us, as we're not big people, but it's a bit hefty and tall. Is the CB500X even close to as spacious?

We're 5'8"/30" inseam and 5'4"/30" inseam.
Got my X a week ago. Wifey has a DR650. I've had a DL650, among others. I'm 6'1''.

Haven't tried the X 2-up yet, can't get wife off the DR ;-) .

X has lots more space than the DR tho, but presumably less than the DL.

Another thing to consider is load limits.

X owner's manual lists max weight capacity as 185 kg / 408 lb for all versions except Korean.

The DL can do 205 kg from memory (hope I've got that right).

:-) dq.
DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #604
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
That's a great contribution to the conversation. I'm always willing to learn from others to improve my riding and knowledge about motorcycles. I wonder what else you can bring to the table.

Was just playing around feller.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #605
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
FREEDOM of choice...and I like ABS. I wish a lot more bikes were offered with it, but I wouldn't want it forced on me.
Good thing you don't live in EU then.
In a year or two, all bikes will have ABS here, and it'll be mandatory from 2017.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #606
drunkenburro#2
♪zoom♪

Oddometer: 8
Cb500x.... WABDR

I just picked up my new CB500X.... Sweet looking outta the box. I am gonna break her in this week .. then July 31st taking her on the 600 mile WABDR. Just gonna get aggressive tires on and go. I have been riding 30+ yrs on dualsports (big red XR650L). I'll post how it goes afterwards .. like someone said earlier in this thread, adventure is what you make it, if all I had was an old street bike I would still have fundragging it through the mountains!;)- I'll see you guys in Stevenson!!!
drunkenburro#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #607
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenburro#2 View Post
I just picked up my new CB500X.... Sweet looking outta the box. I am gonna break her in this week .. then July 31st taking her on the 600 mile WABDR. Just gonna get aggressive tires on and go. I have been riding 30+ yrs on dualsports (big red XR650L). I'll post how it goes afterwards .. like someone said earlier in this thread, adventure is what you make it, if all I had was an old street bike I would still have fundragging it through the mountains!;)- I'll see you guys in Stevenson!!!
Congrates and yes,,,,, tell us how it goes and what sorta tires you went with. Remember, you can always add travel and clearance if and when it's time to refresh the suspension as I did on my DL.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #608
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenburro#2 View Post
Congratulations! And I have a feeling the bike will do just fine!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #609
TheJRM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Picking Mine Up on Wednesday

The long wait is finally over for me: My ABS equipped X will be here on Tuesday and I'll be riding it off the lot the following day.

After 1 year of mixed back road/highway commuting on my beloved T-Dub, I'm greatly looking forward to being able to keep up with, and actually pass, the traffic around me.
TheJRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #610
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
CB500X for 210 lb rider?

I always rode larger bikes, but am now looking for a more sane road machine. Does the 500 have enough power to get me up to highways speeds (80 mph)?

Thanks.
00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #611
Thorgrim
Retired smartass

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMasz View Post
I always rode larger bikes, but am now looking for a more sane road machine. Does the 500 have enough power to get me up to highways speeds (80 mph)?

Thanks.
Absolutely. In fact it has some headroom at that speed, although I can't say how much as I didn't test it (I bought a CB500F a week ago). Past 70, though, I'm wishing for some sort of windscreen to take the air pressure off my chest for more than brief jaunts.

Coming back to riding after a nearly 30 year absence, I'm really impressed at how much torque Honda's wrung out of a 500 cc. While I liked some thump back in the day, the electric-motor feel of this engine is just flat fun to ride. Want more, twist the handle, that easy.

My only criticism is that, for a street bike, the change from 1st to 2nd is a bit much, I'd be happier if the ratios weren't as far apart, and maybe a degree more rake would make it a bit less wiggly in winds on the Interstate. That's it so far (and I'm quibbling a bit), I like the little beast.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #612
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
Absolutely. In fact it has some headroom at that speed, although I can't say how much as I didn't test it (I bought a CB500F a week ago). Past 70, though, I'm wishing for some sort of windscreen to take the air pressure off my chest for more than brief jaunts.

Coming back to riding after a nearly 30 year absence, I'm really impressed at how much torque Honda's wrung out of a 500 cc. While I liked some thump back in the day, the electric-motor feel of this engine is just flat fun to ride. Want more, twist the handle, that easy.

My only criticism is that, for a street bike, the change from 1st to 2nd is a bit much, I'd be happier if the ratios weren't as far apart, and maybe a degree more rake would make it a bit less wiggly in winds on the Interstate. That's it so far (and I'm quibbling a bit), I like the little beast.
Should have mentioned I weight about 205 lbs neckid. About 215 w/ATG
00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #613
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMasz View Post

Thanks.
22-25hp scooters can already do that.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #614
Juanjo-X
X Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
22-25hp scooters can already do that.
+1 Mine was able and was only 250cc

Some daytrippin' reports (in spanish)
Club CB500X Forum admin
Juanjo-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #615
drunkenburro#2
♪zoom♪

Oddometer: 8
cb500x first ride..

So I threw some bark busters on and a gps this morning and rode 150 miles, about 40 of them on forest service roads. No complaints, handles great in the dirt and rocks, smooth motor thanks to efi. Feels really stable, comfy seat, comfy riding postion.. that's what I was looking for.. and quit too, no supertrapp making my ears ring. Sweet bike for six grand!
drunkenburro#2 is offline   Reply With Quote