Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #631
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
I don't see what the big deal is.

I've owned 5 bikes and 3 of those needed a valve check at the 600 mile mark
and probably the 4th too, but I didn't buy it new so I'm not sure.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #632
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I don't see what the big deal is.

I've owned 5 bikes and 3 of those needed a valve check at the 600 mile mark
and probably the 4th too, but I didn't buy it new so I'm not sure.
A 600-mile check is relatively uncommon on new bikes which generally have much longer-valve check intervals than those of a generation ago. And a $300 valve check tends to hit harder for a $6500 bike than a $16500 bike - that's nearly 5% of the price of the bike expended on the first service.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #633
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
A 600-mile check is relatively uncommon on new bikes which generally have much longer-valve check intervals than those of a generation ago. And a $300 valve check tends to hit harder for a $6500 bike than a $16500 bike - that's nearly 5% of the price of the bike expended on the first service.

- Mark
One of mine was a $2500 bike.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #634
Vettel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
250 GBP is just shy of $400 canadian, plus taxes, plus the service itself...more like 10% of the value of the bike. Thats a heavy service to handle in 1000 km.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #635
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,359
Quote:
This sounds cynical, but I doubt there is anything about the Honda's valve system which makes it need a 600-mile check anymore than any other bike.
from MCN:
"Honda’s reasons for the early valve clearance check are explained by spokesman Tom Hobbs. He said: “The all-new parallel twin engine designed specifically for the CB(R)500 series has a valve train system, which uses a rocker arm and shims design. This requires a valve clearance check at the first service, as per the owners’ manual."
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #636
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
from MCN:
"Honda’s reasons for the early valve clearance check are explained by spokesman Tom Hobbs. He said: “The all-new parallel twin engine designed specifically for the CB(R)500 series has a valve train system, which uses a rocker arm and shims design. This requires a valve clearance check at the first service, as per the owners’ manual."
Perhaps a good time to pay sticker price for the bike, but ask for a 'parts only' charge on the first service?

Especially at the end of the month, when the dealer might need to meet sales targets.

I know some Dorsoduro owners who got stung by that 600-mile valve check, with a bill for £400.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #637
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettel View Post
250 GBP is just shy of $400 canadian, plus taxes, plus the service itself...more like 10% of the value of the bike. Thats a heavy service to handle in 1000 km.
Yes... you guys complaining about a valve check should buy a Ducati, no need for 600 mile valve check...

Come on guys, this is looking like some of you guys are missing the point here. This is a bargain motorcycle. It is not the 600 mile service that is expensive. It is the bike that is inexpensive.

Get it and be happy.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #638
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
from MCN:
There is nothing inherent in a "rocker arm and shims design" which requires more frequent valve checks. My S1000RR has rockers/shims and makes 180-hp per liter with a 14,500 RPM redline, compared to the CB500X which makes about half this power per liter and redlines at 9K. First valve check on the BMW? 18K miles.

Again, I admit I'm being a bit of a cynic on this, but Honda motorcycle dealers have been going out of business right/left and those that are left are not terribly excited to see their business shift from selling CBR600RR's with $2K profit margins to CB500's with $700 margins. And valve adjustment intervals are very arbitrary and often are more marketing-driven rather than technically-driven.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #639
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Funny. Not one dealership has closed in Montana.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #640
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,766
if this is a ploy to regain some profit for their dealers, it will backfire; the dealership where I was considering buying my CB is an hour away... when service time arrives, I have to A) trailer it to said dealer or B)ride it up there the night before so it has time to cool before they adjust the valves; neither is going to happen, so I will either pay a little more locally, or keep riding my DR and Nighthawk 750, as much as I loved the CB.
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #641
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
...valve adjustment intervals are very arbitrary and often are more marketing-driven rather than technically-driven...
I don't have a problem with the first part of that quote (in my experience it is largely true); however, from my perspective I think the second part is more warranty liability avoidance oriented than marketing oriented.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #642
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Perhaps a good time to pay sticker price for the bike, but ask for a 'parts only' charge on the first service?

Especially at the end of the month, when the dealer might need to meet sales targets.

I know some Dorsoduro owners who got stung by that 600-mile valve check, with a bill for £400.
I bet most dealers won't even do the check, but will charge it.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #643
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
My dealer just got their first CB500X on the floor.
sendler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #644
Juanjo-X
X Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Mine is almost ready to go...

Some daytrippin' reports (in spanish)
Club CB500X Forum admin
Juanjo-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #645
TheJRM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Ride #2 Thoughts

After babying the X on my 55 mile, round-about ride home from the dealer on Thursday, I opted to employ a bit of the "MotoMan" method of engine break in on yesterday's ride. I spent 90% of my 65 mile ride on winding back roads, while keeping the RPMS down in the 4 -5.5k range for the majority of the time. After a good engine warm up, I progressively worked my way into the 6, 7, 8, and 9k RPM range during quick accelerations up hills, on the straights, out of turns etc. I also went out of my way to do a bit of extra engine braking on the downhills & into turns.

The bottom line: I came away from yesterday's ride feeling like the bike has all of the power I could possibly need. Accelerations in 3rd and 4th gear put me well into the "you crash/you die" zone. As a 37 year old new father, I won't be spending much time there in the future, so this bike has all of the get-up-and go I need, and then some.

Cruising on the highway: 5th & 6th gears were more than sufficient yesterday. 6th had me comfortably cruising @ 65 - 75 mph while humming along in the 5k - 6k RPM range. I was a bit concerned that the engine seemed to be working a little harder than I wanted at those speeds during ride #1, but not at all during yesterday's ride.

Other Impressions: Once again, I found the bike incredibly easy to ride. Super stable, GREAT ergos and just great all around. I'm VERY, VERY happy that I chose this bike over the much more expensive "adventure" machines such as the Triumph Tiger 800 and BMW F700gs. The bike does EVERYTHING I need it to with PLENTY of room to spare.

Leo Vince exhaust: I know that a slip on is not supposed to add HP, but call me crazy - the bike just seemed more responsive with it on (and looks a lot better too!). As per Sensei SandMantis's (from the CBR500 forum) advice, I left the baffel out of the exhaust. It's got a deeper, slightly louder tone but is still very acceptable from an overall DB standpoint. I wouldn't call it overly loud in the slightest - it's simply more "audibly" noticeable and a lot more aggressive than the stock exhaust. I think it'll be a bit safer out on the roads too simply because it will help *a bit* to raise awareness of your presence.

Next mods: Center stand is on the way (thanks for the help with the part # Rob-Houston!) along with 12 volt power outlet.

GREAT bike!!!!!

Pic from yesterday, post ride:

TheJRM screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 07:16 AM
TheJRM is offline   Reply With Quote