Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
ywouldi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Moving fuse box from headlight

Hi all,

I've got an r80 TIC in the garage and I'm currently scramberling it. Was thinking about fitting a smaller headlight to get a nicer front end, this would entail moving the fusebox out and probably under the tank. I'm thinking something similar to this would do it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Way-Circ...item27b81d7607

Electronics aren't my thing but my dad is an ex avionics engineer and has been volunteered to help with the electrics.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of modification; numerous searches havent thrown any light on the subject. The moto-gadget m-unit looks great but maybe a bit pricey. It would do all the electronics in one box though.....

Cheers,

Ben
ywouldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,794
What year is your motorcycle? What is a TIC? Do you have a manual?

In most manuals you will find a wiring diagram. Wiring in BMWs seems to be a bit more confusing that many other vehicles and there seems to be a lot more of it than other vehicles.

But as far as fuses go there should be only two. (unless late models have more, I think this is correct)

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,406
You only have 2 fuses in the stock headlight. Either run a /5 wiring harness or one from a 79-84 R65 and re-wire the handlebar switches to work. My 67 R90/2 has a /5 harness with 76 handlebar switches.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Tic is the police spec model disston
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambozo View Post
Tic is the police spec model disston
My experience with police vehicles is they have more wiring than civilian vehicles.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,765
I am moving my fuse box to where the tool tray used to reside. I'm using a marine fuse box, with about 8 fuses in it. Not sure how many I will use, but glad they are there. I'm sure I will use one or two for accessories (lights, heat, etc)

Unfortunately these bikes are not real friendly to those wanting to move wiring around much. I tossed my whole harness, as I figured it would be easier than to rebuild the existing harness.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
ywouldi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
What year is your motorcycle? What is a TIC? Do you have a manual?

In most manuals you will find a wiring diagram. Wiring in BMWs seems to be a bit more confusing that many other vehicles and there seems to be a lot more of it than other vehicles.

But as far as fuses go there should be only two. (unless late models have more, I think this is correct)
Sorry, it's a 1983. Seems to have quite a few fuse in there. I've got a manual with diagram, Haynes.
ywouldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Iv three (ex) tic's, both the 78 and 79 have two fuses same as normal,
and the 88 has three, I assume the thirds for the heated gear iv removed

The wiring was pretty messy and as fubar says it's awkward to move, on my
long term project 78 I'm moving everything from the headlight to under the
seat hump, it's not a fun job and like fubar iv scrapped the original wiring, using
a few old looms to keep the colours as per the diagram

If I'd the spare money I would definitely get the motogadget unit, I much prefer
their speedo to the acewell too. It's very pricey though

Another option I would consider is using the complete electrical system from a
mono, that's only viable if it comes cheap, airheads aren't that popular over here,
my complete 88 only cost about $300, and came with spares
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
/5's don't have any fuses in the headlight. I'm currently putting a /5 back on the road.

I also want to move the bulk of the electrical from the headlight to under the seat to make it easier to get at plus install a couple of fuses. I have all the electrical out and the bike is in pieces so its a good time to think this one through. I also agree with those that have gone the route of replacing the stock harness with their own made up harness. I can't see any other viable way to make it work.

In addition to a couple of fuses for the lights/signals I would add one main power fuse of 25 or 30 amps. Using a couple of relays for switch protecting should also help and they could be mounted up beside the starter relay as the tank will easily cover them up and protect them from rain/wet.

I'll follow along for awhile to see how this one goes.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,332
2nd the start from scratch method. It cleans things up a lot. I used one main and four sub circuits, not counting accessories. Headlights, ignition, turn signals, tail/brake lights. "Minor" items such as OP switch, etc. can tap into these circuits so long as you keep track of what's where and spread out the load. There's an awful lot of redundancy & BS in the stock harness.