Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #46
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
I plugged a tire recently and got myself out of a jam. I just couldn't let it go that there was a plug in it though... I didn't enjoy riding on it because I kept 'waiting for it to blow'. I know, it's purely psycological but it felt a lot better putting a new tire on. $160 for the tire too!

So if anyone wants an Anakee2 rear with a plug and about 2-3k miles left on it... stop on by and pick it up
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #47
Ducmonza
boob

Oddometer: 63
Puke string plugs

I have used string plugs many times, and on anything from a k to a GS. Yeah I know that they say it is dangerous, but screw those people who haven't been stuck on the side of the highway in the middle of BFE on a weekend. I also let the tire be if the tread is still in good shape. One caveat, is that I use a huge amount of rubber cement, and I take my mini torch to get the cord nice and warm for maximum bonding. Never had a problem with plugging a bike tire, and won't leave home without a plug kit.

As a side rant, most flats begin at slow speeds, usually in a construction zone, or in a poor city that can't afford street sweepers. Almost always we are riding flat and straight when they go, or start notice them going. As a rider, you need to have situational awareness, or should not be operating a motorcycle. Sure flats can happen on a turn, but the chances of a catastrophic blowout are very very rare. Long of the short, plugs are fine!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #48
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,230
Every rear tire fitted to my GS has ended up with a puncture in the tread area (the current new rear tire is the exception).

And, each of these tires has been repaired using the string material.

When repairing a puncture, I always get the tire as hot as possible in the sun. In winter, I would bring the tire inside and allow it to warm to room temperature before proceeding with the repair. I have even seen some light the string on fire before inserting it into the punctured tire.

My repairs have always allowed me to ride to the end of life of the punctured tire.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #49
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Can you afford $66 for peace of mind?***

Otherwise...proceed with other options.

***Let's think this through to it's illogical conclusion:
1. Tire fails.
****YOU LOSE FROM THIS POINT FORWARD****************************
2. Bike sustains damage during accident.
3. Bike is repaired by your insurance...minus your ($500?) deductible?
4. You sustain some damage (injury) during this accident.
5. Ambulance, hospital charges exceed $45,000 for your 1 week recuperation.
6. Your boss fired you since you were really needed at work.
7. You injure somebody else and they end up suing you for their personal injury and damage to their car.
8. You're convicted of careless operation of a motor vehicle and serve 60 days in jail.
9. Your boss REALLY doesn't want to know about you...particularly now.
10. Since you have no income for 2 months...you miss a couple mortgage payments...bank forecloses on your home.
11. All your credit cards increase your rate since you defaulted on your mortgage payments.
12. Your FICO score drops to the low 500's.
13. It takes you 4 more months (I'm being generous)...in this BAD economy...to find another job comparable to what you had.
14. You exhaust your 2 months of 'savings' and are forced to BORROW from your wife's family...you didn't have the nerve to tell YOUR family.

I think you can see where this COULD be headed...worst case scenario.

Back to my original question:
Can you afford $66 for peace of mind?
HOPE SO...otherwise park it until you have the $66.

PS..."No" I don't sell insurance...nor TIRES.
I think you've seriously under estimated the catastrophic potential of not replacing the tire.

Tire fails. Bike goes into skid. On coming school bus full of primary grade kids swerves to avoid you. Bus overturnss, slides sideways into a van full of nuns. Both vehicles come to rest on a bridge, and are totally engulfed in flames, which melts through the surface and cuases the bridge to drop into the river, right on top of a boat full of tourists. Hundreds die, damages in the hundreds of millions. All because you wouldn't spend $66. Is that what you want?

Approaching life like that...probably best just to stay on the porch.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #50
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,414
Much better than mine!

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 11:11 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #51
webjester OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Haha

You forgot to mention the global warming caused by such a fire and the resulting hurricanes...
OK, I think I am sarcastic now. Maybe I need to watch more Doomsday Preppers.

Tire is fixed now. Plugged it from the outside using a string and a tire repair kit. Turned out to be much easier than I thought after I drilled a small hole where the air bubbles came out.

Back on the bike. Thanks everybody!
webjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #52
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
OK, now, we've got to consider where this hyena fellow hails from....

Illinois...where the governors makes the license plates.

Of course, I did grow up in Lake Bluff, met Richard J. Daley (at one time, arguably the most powerful man in the world) once when I was calling on the City of Chicago (the city was a customer of mine...they always paid on time), have been all over the various city departments and still call Chicago my favorite big city. I worked in the BOT building and used to eat lunch in Grant Park or near the Adler Planetarium in summertime.

OK, now hyena, what were you saying?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #53
clamrider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
my 1150 also had a tire with a hole dead center of thread, my tire guy said he uses these all the time.
after many long trips, nj-colo, nj-Ga, I say there awesome. I will install a new set of pilot 2s when I can,
but that plug isdashit.

http://www.vipal.com/uploads/produto...c66a9896d0.jpg
clamrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #54
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
OK, now, we've got to consider where this hyena fellow hails from....

Illinois...where the governors makes the license plates.

Of course, I did grow up in Lake Bluff, met Richard J. Daley (at one time, arguably the most powerful man in the world) once when I was calling on the City of Chicago (the city was a customer of mine...they always paid on time), have been all over the various city departments and still call Chicago my favorite big city. I worked in the BOT building and used to eat lunch in Grant Park or near the Adler Planetarium in summertime.

OK, now hyena, what were you saying?
They tried letting them make license plates, Def, but then they caught Blago selling counterfeits he was making on the sly. And hey - it's not ALL of our governors. Only 3 of the past 6 have been imprisoned.

And I actually hail from Indiana. Foolishly moved to Illinois when I was about 8 months old.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #55
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
They tried letting them make license plates, Def, but then they caught Blago selling counterfeits he was making on the sly. And hey - it's not ALL of our governors. Only 3 of the past 6 have been imprisoned.

And I actually hail from Indiana. Foolishly moved to Illinois when I was about 8 months old.
I understand that Blago has received a promotion...he is now working in the prison library after complaining of dish-pan hands from his kitchen duties. We haven't heard that last of this guy.

Even back in the day that I was living in IL, there were Daley cronies that went to jail for various misdeeds. I believe there is something in the water.