Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
stuyvpc OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Snapped Fuel Pipe Connector - advice please

Hi all,

Lovely sunny day so decided to treat my 02 GSA to it's 80,000 mile service. All went well until I was refitting the petrol tank and managed to snap one of those really annoying black plastic push connectors with the silver tang that BMW use to connect the fuel hose from the tank to the hose going to the injectors. Always been a tight fit with many a skinned knuckle but this time probably pushed a bit hard and snapped the male connector off in the female....

So my question. Is this just an annoying bit of kit or is it a one way valve? I would like to do away with it completely and get a longer fuel hose that I run from the the tank and just do away with the connector. But obviously I don't want to mess anything up if this is a needed part. Thanks in advance.

Paul
stuyvpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,428
There has been an update on that part.

13 53 7 700 800 PLUG - 1800.04 2 $30.57

Improved part from BMW. The plastic male quick disconnect has been discontinued. This will work with the plastic female disconnect. Note: this part comes WITH an o-ring. BMW recommends replacing the o-ring everytime these are disconnected.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Pekkavee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuyvpc View Post
Hi all,

Lovely sunny day so decided to treat my 02 GSA to it's 80,000 mile service. All went well until I was refitting the petrol tank and managed to snap one of those really annoying black plastic push connectors with the silver tang that BMW use to connect the fuel hose from the tank to the hose going to the injectors. Always been a tight fit with many a skinned knuckle but this time probably pushed a bit hard and snapped the male connector off in the female....

So my question. Is this just an annoying bit of kit or is it a one way valve? I would like to do away with it completely and get a longer fuel hose that I run from the the tank and just do away with the connector. But obviously I don't want to mess anything up if this is a needed part. Thanks in advance.

Paul
It's is not a one way valve. Just get the longer fuel hose and put it there.

However a metal quick connector would last and it's handy anyway.

Pekka
Pekkavee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Spend the money

The replacement quick disconnects aren't cheap but they do stop the flow of fuel when you remove the tank. Without them you'll be draining the tank before you remove it. Beemer boneyard has a kit available. I bought from the dealer @ $37.00 per set or per line.
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
I bought the kit from Beemer boneyard and did both sets. It is inevitable
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote