User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
photorider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Headlight relay install

Im looking into installing the H4 relay kit sold by Estern Beaver. Does anyone know if that setup does away with the stock headlight relay completely?

BTW, it's a /6.
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
silverhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Are you trying to add a headlight so that you have two?

Otherwise, I think his kit performs the same task as the OEM wiring setup with the existing relay.
silverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
photorider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Thanks Silverhead. Not adding a headlight. Just re-wiring the old one and putting in a brighter bulb.
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
RaystheBMW
1986 R65

Oddometer: 165
It looks like your stock relay is still used to power the handlebar switch. The switch then activates the low and high beam relays instead of the bulb directly. When you turn the key off, the stock relay cuts power to the switch, which in turn cuts power to the new relays in the headlight bucket.
RaystheBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,093
Think of it as supplementing the stock headlight relay. Leave the stock relay alone. What this new headlight relay system does is take the electrical load from the handlebar switches and switch it through the new headlight relay.

--Bill
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,374
match box relay

I just installed this one on my R100GS.

The headlight relay now .. triggers the match box relay.
Great system. The red and neg are now wired directly to
the battery. Just mark you wires and make sure you use 12 ga

I installed a 80w yellow bulb. Looks great and puts out lots of light.
The switches are now 30 years old and the switch can handle all that current.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Uke
visualist

Oddometer: 113
THIS

I added the Eastern Beaver H4 relay harness to my R100R on Tuesday (two days ago.) I also upgraded to a Hella 55/100 watt bulb, which I concluded necessitated the relay & direct harness to keep the additional current out of the high/low beam switch, a more robust H4 plug for the light, and providing a heavier gauge wire to preserve as much voltage to the light as possible.

In that I consider this a permanent mod, I direct wired the original female plug to the male switching plug of the relay harness, eliminating the pair of H4 plugs, this to save some space inside the bucket and to eliminate potential problems with a set of plugged connections.

Be sure to carefully adjust the aim of the headlight before considering the job completed. I had to remove the bucket to get the relays and plug into the bucket.

I also added a digital volt meter to monitor the battery level and alternator effectiveness. Previously I upgraded my tail/brake light and parking light (in the headlight bucket) to LEDs to reduce the load on the charging system. Time will tell if I need to acquire a new charging system, likely the EnDuraLast II.

I did the volt meter mod before adding the relays and headlight harness, I'm seeing ~ 1/2 additional volt for the low beam (55 watts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Think of it as supplementing the stock headlight relay. Leave the stock relay alone. What this new headlight relay system does is take the electrical load from the handlebar switches and switch it through the new headlight relay.

--Bill
Uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,845
The stock "light relay" is more correctly called a "load shedding relay" (as it is on the K models). It cuts power to the lights when you operate the starter motor. On some markets there is no "light relay"... the rider can turn off the lights if they want ...

Installing light relays to get more light and less strain on the original wiring then simply take the original wires to the globe (hi and low beam) and wire those to the two relays (hi and low beam) as the relays coil supply and earth the other side of the relay coil. The realy switch supplies can be connected together and a new wire run to the battery with a fuse close to the battery. The relay switched output goes to the respective globe hi and low beams. This will then behave as per the original behavior and should reduce losses to the lights.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
RaystheBMW
1986 R65

Oddometer: 165
There's also a cheaper alternative using only one new relay. Just get a SPDT relay and socket base. The feed shown coming from the battery is really a new heavy wire coming from the stock load shedding headlight relay. Per the diagram, no relay power closes the low beam circuit by default. With the relay activated you get high beam. From the bar switch, you only need to connect the high beam wire to the relay. This works well but involves a bit more cutting and soldering so it all depends in how DIY you want to get. It's also harder to return to the stock configuration than a plug-and-play kit, though you should never really want to.

There used to be a better diagram for this but I can't find it anymore.
RaystheBMW is offline   Reply With Quote