Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 741
Hotwiring my neighbors bike

Ok not really but sort of.
Helping a freind (1995 GSPD) with some simple troubleshooting of an intermittent miss and have ruled out most everything;
colis ok
plugwires ok
beancan ok
icu ok
killswitch ok
All connections unplugged, cleaned, greased and re-secured.

And I am down to his ignition switch. Can't we just bypass it and run the bike like that for a while and if no miss assume thats our problem? And if so…whats the bext way and 2 colors of wires to connect.

I can use my meter to determine power going in from which wire and out from which wire once switched on but I thought askining the community would be a hell of a lot easier than even reading a diagram.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,385
You don't mention what year this bike is? I gather it has an electronic ignition? OEM?

ICU's are to be installed with heatsink paste? From another current thread I will add this is "HeatSink Paste" and not something else like Dielectric Grease.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
You don't mention what year this bike is? I gather it has an electronic ignition? OEM?

ICU's are to be installed with heatsink paste? From another current thread I will add this is "HeatSink Paste" and not something else like Dielectric Grease.
95 pd Charlie.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
You can bypass the switch. I did it, therefore it is not recommended.

Its not really a situation oyu can come back from, since the terminals at the switch are basically hard wired, and youll have to tap into the existing wires if you go through with it.

In essence, though, the one red wire essentially feeds all the other wires, I forget which one is strictly ignition.

Also, you didnt mention sparkplugs.

ANd how did you rule out the beancan, by swapping in a known good one? Thats about the only worthwhile test.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
You can bypass the switch. I did it, therefore it is not recommended.

Its not really a situation oyu can come back from, since the terminals at the switch are basically hard wired, and youll have to tap into the existing wires if you go through with it.

In essence, though, the one red wire essentially feeds all the other wires, I forget which one is strictly ignition. That was my beancan verification.

Also, you didnt mention sparkplugs.

ANd how did you rule out the beancan, by swapping in a known good one? Thats about the only worthwhile test.
You know me….I installed a points can on his too so got rid of all the ICU stuff and intermittent still there.

I meant to mention plugs …we di that too.

Yes I agree on the ignition switch but the way I liik at it…we will splice in and cross the 2 necessary wires…if still intermittent then that aint it and we can reconnect via cap, tape, solder whatever.

Any idea on the other wire to connect to the red?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
That part of the ignition switch also powers the headlight ... so if the headlight does not go out/flicker then it is not the ignition switch ...

A meter or light connected to the power side of the coil will tell you if the power is being cut. You do know of the wiring under the head stem fraying over time? That can cut the power ...

Reading the circuit diagram will give you more ideas. And you'll know what wires there are .. and 'we' won't be telling others how to steel our bikes.
Warin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Having thought it over a little, I'd be blinkered if it's te switch. (Sorry )

I am venturing it's fuel related. Does it miss only at idle, or everywhere in the throttle range?

Maybe try a timing light on it, and see if there is a flicker in that when it misses as well.

If it doesn't, maybe you've got too much fuel in the bowls, and occasionally it snuffs itself out.

In the vein, check the plugs after running and see if they're rich or what.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
LynxSS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I had to hot-wire my /6 once. There was a blue/green wire to one of the coils if I remember right that is the switched power from the ignition, one alligator clip from the +side of the battery to that and Tada I could bump start it. Scarily easy.

No idea on your GSPD with new fangled electrics like bean cans and ICUs but probably something similar.
LynxSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Thanks Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSS View Post
I had to hot-wire my /6 once. There was a blue/green wire to one of the coils if I remember right that is the switched power from the ignition, one alligator clip from the +side of the battery to that and Tada I could bump start it. Scarily easy.

No idea on your GSPD with new fangled electrics like bean cans and ICUs but probably something similar.
Thanks Lynx. Well I also swapped his beancan to points so Im figuring its basic what you said.