ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
rover215 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: N. Portland
Oddometer: 16
My first thumper!! 1987 XL600R

I am buying a 1987 XL600R in 2 weeks (I put a deposit down) and feel really good about the bike and the price. That said, I'm no XL guru and would love to get some feedback from you folks.
5,100 miles on the clock, recovered seat, new battery, and comes with a hardback Haynes manual, uninstalled/new Ricky stator, new aftermarket front signals, and gold anodized wheels mounted with knobbies. The front signals are bent a little but work and lenses are intact. The bikini fairing is busted off, and only has one broken mirror.
The bike kicks over with solid compression, starts easily, and pulls HARD. I have to learn to ride and think differently for this bike- it's ALL torque so I found myself short shifting on my test ride. The front brake seems more than adequate, which surprised me at first but since it only weighs around 325lbs wet so it makes sense. The only issue is with the jetting (I think). The seller told me the bike was re-jetted for higher altitude by the original owner. I don't remember where it lived originally but it was the high plains of Oregon. I'm a Portland dweller and will be doing most of my riding around here (until my Alaska trip gels). The bike stalled several times on my test ride, but only when I came to a stop. It kicked back over easily and off I went but I think I'll be removing, cleaning, re-jetting, and maybe even rebuilding the carbs.
Oh- the bike and extras came to $1,450 and I didn't offer less- it sounded like a fair deal, especially after riding it.

So whattaya think? Good deal, fair deal, or meh- not so much?
What are some of the more common issues I should know about? I plan on keeping one set of knobby wheels and fit new street rubber to the other set. I have no intentions of hopping-up power. I prefer keeping it simple and besides, I weigh 172lbs and am no thrill seeker. I'll be riding it around town but I'll be commuting 20min one way, 5 days/wk until I get my R75/5 in late March. I plan on an Alaska adventure with my buddy who will be riding a super-lux R1200RT next year. I want to fit a rack and other ADV goodies. Feel free to give me input, both pro and con. I really just want to know more about the bike and what options are available to me.

http://s84.beta.photobucket.com/user...tml?sort=3&o=0

rover215 screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 09:52 PM Reason: wanted to included photo
rover215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider
 
ReferJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Santa Rosa,California
Oddometer: 444
Any PICS?














__________________
CMA FAST LANE
01' XR650L - 06' NPS50 - 07' KLX 110 - 12' FLTRU - 12' RMZ 250
ReferJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
rover215 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: N. Portland
Oddometer: 16
not sure how to upload

I tried to upload from Flickr and Photobucket but the upload icon doesn't seem to like the http://
What do I need to do besides include a link?
rover215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Fireball
Robot Doc
 
Fireball's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Bacon Double Hamburg NJ
Oddometer: 2,569
I love the Captain America years

good luck with it!
__________________
More fun than clowns on fire
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
dhally
Hammerhead
 
dhally's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Kennewick, WA
Oddometer: 1,997
Sounds like a reasonable deal. Those bikes never die. The carb will be easy enough to tune up, might as well get all new rubber parts before you pull it apart. Thumpertalk should have a jetting database.

If you're gettign a street bike anyhow, maybe two sets of wheels for the XRL is overkill? I have good luck with dual sport knobbies like a D606 or D908 or even the trials type MT43. Work OK on both street and dirt. Most of my riding is dry though.

Here are the instructions for posting images:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919


__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WR250R
Tiger 800
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
rover215 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: N. Portland
Oddometer: 16
thanks, Dhally

I'm wondering if I should have posted in the XL600 thread. I'm thinking of using Shinko 705 series tires but I'd like to hear what other XL folks think of them. I can't wait to get this thing! I have already made a list of goodies I want but it will take time. Anyone recommend a particular oil? I am going to change it and check the air filter as soon as I get it. If the stock air filter is fine, I'll keep it unless I hear a resounding support for an aftermarket upgrade. Again, going back to stock jetting.
One more thing- the kickstand has a strange blue hue to it, midshaft. It looks like it was heated up at some time but I don't see any evidence of welding. It looks straight and hold the bike up but I just thought it looked weird. I'll get pics up in a couple weeks.
rover215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
rover215 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: N. Portland
Oddometer: 16
Rebuilt the carbs... sort of.

So a buddy of mine helped me (did most of the work, actually) rebuild the carbs. Removing them was pretty straight forward except for the intake boots- we ended up removing the manifold altogether. He had a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and mixed up some dilute Simple Green/water mix. That stuff and the ultrasonic thing did a nice job. Re-installation was pretty easy. After reconnecting the cables (incorrectly at first) and many kicks with starter spray, it finally started.
However, it didn't seem to like the choke so I ended up kicking it maybe more than I needed to. Once running I noticed the throttle was a little sticky and would stay open until I moved it shut. Otherwise, it would stay open and rev. The return cable seemed not to be working as well as before. Still, after warming it up it ran great. A week later, me and my buddy checked the routing of the cables and shot some WD-40 into the throttle housing, thinking it would loosen them up. Turns out the cables were routed a little wonky so we got them straightened out. The cables seemed to feel better but after putting everything back it didn't change anything. I ordered a new push and pull cable in hopes that will remedy things. But I'm thinking the cables probably don't need replacing (only 5,100 miles) but they were cheap so no hardship if they don't improve things. What have I missed?
rover215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 9,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover215 View Post
I......The only issue is with the jetting (I think). The seller told me the bike was re-jetted for higher altitude by the original owner. I don't remember where it lived originally but it was the high plains of Oregon. I'm a Portland dweller and will be doing most of my riding around here (until my Alaska trip gels). The bike stalled several times on my test ride, but only when I came to a stop. It kicked back over easily and off I went but I think I'll be removing, cleaning, re-jetting, and maybe even rebuilding the carbs.....

Several years back when I was still on an XL600R I got into a jetting thread over on Thumpertalk that was pretty good info.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/172305-xl600r-jetting/

If I had to guess, I would say you guys either didn't get something as clean as you think or you still don't have it put together correctly. Make sure you got that dual carb linkage back together right and got the two cables adjusted correctly. Maybe disconnect the return and cable to see if it works any better.
__________________
640E, MXC200, XT200

Grreatdog screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 05:25 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 970
I've had a problem like that before...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4703
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
rover215 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: N. Portland
Oddometer: 16
Carb clean

I should mention we didn't separate the carbs from each other. The linkage joining the two remained intact. And dammit- we didn't save the paper that had the jet sizes from the carbs. I did find out that the original owner lived at 3,500' so I doubt he'd re-jet. It does run great here in Portland. I'll remove the pull cable next weekend to see if it affects the return but I prefer having it.
Also, my buddy told me that it's okay to lube older cables but cables today are of the lube-less type. I know the cables don't have many miles on them but couldn't they still dry up or corrode? The replacements are Motion Pro, btw.
rover215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover215 View Post
Also, my buddy told me that it's okay to lube older cables but cables today are of the lube-less type. I know the cables don't have many miles on them but couldn't they still dry up or corrode? The replacements are Motion Pro, btw.
Great bike! I love the 600R

Certainly the cables being 20+ years old will affect their performance. But I suspect the main reason is that dusty East Oregon conditions are hard on cable systems! Add in a few hundred cycles of hot/ cold, ridden hard in the dust, or MUD....then hosed off. Despite what the odometer says, those cables are toast. Lubing them won't hurt at this point but sometimes it can create a slurry of gunk inside the housing and make it worse.

FWIW I've had good luck w/ Motion Pro cables and Shinko tires!

Honda RFVC's singles can suffer from lubrication starvation up top (the rockers and cam especially) so always use 20W/ 50 oil and synthetic if possible and NEVER run it low on oil. If it's in good health, it shouldn't use oil unless you're doing long mileage at high speeds, like on the highway, etc. If the transmission starts to feel "notchy" when you're riding it, be sure to check and/or change the oil.

Good luck with your 600R

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 9,517
Since you are already shopping Motion Pro, you want a can of cable lube and one of these:




I bought mine sometime back in the 80's. There aren't many tools this cheap that work so well and will outlive you.
__________________
640E, MXC200, XT200
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
brokeagain
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: SWPA
Oddometer: 203
Great choice :)

I've been rebuilding various parts and such on mine since I've gotten it last year.

Last nights adventure involved cleaning the carb, I would get a new set of gaskets if you're going to be pulling it apart.

Tip for getting the dual carbs out - Remove the charcoal canister (it's on the lower left side, and has hoses going to the airbox and the engine case). It makes life so much easier, and takes about a minute to put on/take off.

As for the throttle cables, I second the motion pro. Cheap, and they work. However, putting the cables back together properly in the case at the throttle grip is SUCH A PAIN :) So is getting the pull cable (There are two, a push and a pull) into it's spot on the throttle at the carb.

Ricky stator installation is pretty easy, just bolt it on. However, do your best to seal up the grommet where the wires come out. Oil likes to come out of there. Grounding it properly is pretty important as well. I tried to ground it to the airbox, but I don't think that I did it right. When I grounded it to the top engine mount under one of those bolts, it worked well. For the neutral switch wire, make sure it's not touching anything else, or the light will stay on all the time. But be sure not to tighten the nut on the neutral switch too hard, it's ... fragile. Then you won't have a neutral light. Ask how I know :)

And, I second the Shinko tires as well. They do fine for my purposes, which isn't anything exteme. And they're reasonably priced.

Sorry if any of this is very basic to you or anyone, just sharing my experiences from the past few weeks. Just love my XL, it's feels like freaking rocket.


Edit: I should read the whole thread before blabbering. My bad.

brokeagain screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 01:18 PM
brokeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,263
You got a good deal...I feel that any dual sport bike in good mechanical/running order is worth $1500 at least.
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
00 KTM 640 ADV
01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer
 
bdcorrigan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: South Of Portland Oregon in the Burbs
Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover215 View Post
I am buying a 1987 XL600R in 2 weeks (I put a deposit down) and feel really good about the bike and the price. That said, I'm no XL guru and would love to get some feedback from you folks.
5,100 miles on the clock, recovered seat, new battery, and comes with a hardback Haynes manual, uninstalled/new Ricky stator, new aftermarket front signals, and gold anodized wheels mounted with knobbies. The front signals are bent a little but work and lenses are intact. The bikini fairing is busted off, and only has one broken mirror.
The bike kicks over with solid compression, starts easily, and pulls HARD. I have to learn to ride and think differently for this bike- it's ALL torque so I found myself short shifting on my test ride. The front brake seems more than adequate, which surprised me at first but since it only weighs around 325lbs wet so it makes sense. The only issue is with the jetting (I think). The seller told me the bike was re-jetted for higher altitude by the original owner. I don't remember where it lived originally but it was the high plains of Oregon. I'm a Portland dweller and will be doing most of my riding around here (until my Alaska trip gels). The bike stalled several times on my test ride, but only when I came to a stop. It kicked back over easily and off I went but I think I'll be removing, cleaning, re-jetting, and maybe even rebuilding the carbs.
Oh- the bike and extras came to $1,450 and I didn't offer less- it sounded like a fair deal, especially after riding it.

So whattaya think? Good deal, fair deal, or meh- not so much?
What are some of the more common issues I should know about? I plan on keeping one set of knobby wheels and fit new street rubber to the other set. I have no intentions of hopping-up power. I prefer keeping it simple and besides, I weigh 172lbs and am no thrill seeker. I'll be riding it around town but I'll be commuting 20min one way, 5 days/wk until I get my R75/5 in late March. I plan on an Alaska adventure with my buddy who will be riding a super-lux R1200RT next year. I want to fit a rack and other ADV goodies. Feel free to give me input, both pro and con. I really just want to know more about the bike and what options are available to me.

http://s84.beta.photobucket.com/user...tml?sort=3&o=0
PM sent
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014