Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post
Handling - SMT by a mile. I've ridden both quite a bit, and the SMT is so easy to ride it is ridiculous. This is really my biggest factor.
You have spent a good bit of seat time aboard a Hyperstrada?

How did you manage that?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

How did you manage that?
I gotta say I was wondering the same. I think a brand new model is bound to handle differently than previous years Hypermotards even.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Me too. But in the end it really is just a slightly more touring friendly Hypermotard anyway, right? So a comparison of the latest HM and the SMT may still be pretty relevant. I've never ridden either, but did have a SM and I bet the SMT is pretty close to that. Although I would like to hear from someone that's familiar with all three. Then how does the Rivale fit in the picture? Damn, I don't want to want a new bike!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:

How did you manage that?
I'm assuming it's very similar to the Hypermotard. I doubt they handle much different, but I guess they could.
WMRRA #98

JJGeo screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 12:23 PM
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Handling is also a big factor for me too. The question is, just how much worse will the new Hyperstrada be?
The luggage on the Hyper looks a bit bigger than the SMT's. What is the combined liter capacity of the stock SMT bags?
Looks are subjective and I prefer the Hyperstrada. It looks more 'filled in' and I've always liked single sided swingarms.
Features, I personally wouldn't mind DTC on a cold rainy morning. I see your point that the power modes might be a little excessive with only 100HP.
I wonder if the Hyper has a hydraulic clutch like the SMT. Probably not.
There isn't anything wrong with how the Hypermotard (and assuming the new Hyperstrada) handles, I just think the SMT handles a lot better. I think it handles a lot better than the MTS1200 as well. It's just a very easy bike to ride.

The stock SMT luggage isn't very good. The HMT doesn't look very good either, but who knows...no one has seen it in the flesh yet.

I agree on the SSS...I think all bikes should come with them.
WMRRA #98
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
I'm assuming it's very similar to the Hypermotard. I doubt they handle much different.
Oh, so you haven't actually ridden one, despite your claim to the contrary.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, so you haven't actually ridden one, despite your claim to the contrary.
That's EXACTLY what I just said 2 posts above. Feel better now?

The Hyperstrada looks to be an updated Hypermotard with bags and a water-cooled motor, and a slightly different frame. Based upon that I assumed it will handle the same, or very similar, to the current model. I figured people would assume that...guess I shouldn't have. If the Hyperstrada handles better than the SMT it will be a fantastic bike.
WMRRA #98
Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
Tails_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hi. I have owned the previous Ducati Hypermotard and now own the KTM SM T. Some thoughts:

Range: the fuel tank seems to be quite small. I used to have to gas up the Hypermotard twice or three times in a day, that's ridiculous. The KTM is really much better in that respect.

Seating position: I read that the new Hyper/strada has different angles from the old one. The old Hyper was really strange to get used to. You sit very close to the bars and it feels more like a BMX bike with an 1100 motor than anything else. However, the old Hyper had a wide and flat seat. The new one seems to have a tilt and a raised passenger area. I would hate that as I don't like sliding forward but I do like sliding myself back a little on long trips. The KTM has a perfect seat for me. The seating position itself is almost perfect, I wouldn't mind the bars just a bit lower.

Handling: On the Hyper, people tend to pull on the bars too much and make the bike nervous at high speed. Total lack of wind protection doesn't help either. In spite of this, the old Hypermotard's handling is fantastic once you get to know it well. I even rode it on the racetrack and outperformed several much faster bikes. The KTM is great handling too. I do feel that the jerkiness in the fuel injection is problematic when going fast around roundabouts and such. The forks also dive more than the Ducati's.

Luggage capacity: the old Hyper has absolutely none. The new Hyperstrada has 50 liter quick-detach saddlebags. The KTM SM T has very quick-detach saddlebags also, but they only hold 13 liters each. Personally, I like them for short trips because I just slap them on and go, never filling them up completely. If you do then you will probably break the zipper since that's the only thing holding the halves together. They are also not waterproof. You get plastic bags to cover them with but these fill half the saddlebags if you want to take them along.

Power: the KTM has more horsepower but it will also feel much more powerful. The engine is very lively. The old Hyper had an outdated engine, not that powerful at the top end, but very nice and torquey. The new Hyperstrada has a Testastretta engine that looks to me like a slightly watered down engine from the 848. I rode an 848 Evo recently and it didn't feel that quick at lower revs. Of course that is racing bike with much taller gearing, but on the other hand it has about 140 hp and the Hyperstrada has 108. It's hard to say from behind the computer but I feel the KTM has the edge here.

Electronics: you can get ABS on both but the KTM does not have riding modes or traction control. This is a personal thing. I feel that riding modes are not that useful and sometimes downright annoying. My wife had an Aprilia Dorsoduro with a sport/tour/rain setting. In sport, it was too aggressive and in rain you had to twist the throttle like crazy to go anywhere. We always kept it in tour.

Liquid cooling: well they both have liquid cooling now. Too bad. The KTM gets hot around town and the fan whines away. The old Hyper never made a sound in that respect and I loved that.
Tails_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #24
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
I absolutely love it!

When I was shopping for my Aprilia Dorsoduro, I looked at the Multi and the Hyper. I thought the Multi had too much windshield and touring gear, while the Hyper's handlebars were too low and close to my knees. The Hyperstrada seems to be in the sweet spot between them.

With the stated service intervals, it will likely steal away lots of Aprilia Shiver and Honda NC700 buyers. With nearly 20 hp over my Dorsoduro's 750 cc motor, it would have certainly got my attention when I was shopping. Price is closer to a 1200 Aprilia, but right in line with KTM offerings.

I'll take the red one...

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails_KTM View Post

Handling: On the Hyper, people tend to pull on the bars too much and make the bike nervous at high speed. Total lack of wind protection doesn't help either. In spite of this, the old Hypermotard's handling is fantastic once you get to know it well. I even rode it on the racetrack and outperformed several much faster bikes. The KTM is great handling too. I do feel that the jerkiness in the fuel injection is problematic when going fast around roundabouts and such. The forks also dive more than the Ducati's.
Thanks for the comparison. Do you think that the fork dive on the SMT can be sorted out with adjustments to the stock setup?

tpulls screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 04:14 PM
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Thanks for the comparison. Do you think that the fork dive on the SMT be sorted out with adjustments to the stock setup?
I personally think so...all of the suspension setting adjustments are on a sticker on my airbox lid in easy to read placement for both front and rear!

-12/19/07-zarn02 on the DML
zooomgovroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooomgovroom View Post
I personally think so...all of the suspension setting adjustments are on a sticker on my airbox lid in easy to read placement for both front and rear!
Cool. Whichever bike I do choose I'll use for at least one track day. So I'm hoping the stock springs on the SMT are stiff enough.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool. Whichever bike I do choose I'll use for at least one track day. So I'm hoping the stock springs on the SMT are stiff enough.
MCN did a comparison where they rode a GS, GSXR1000, SMT, and VFR (I think) for a few hours to the track, and then did some track riding. The SMT was only a tad slower at the track than the GSXR. Youtube should have it, it's pretty interesting.

You should be fine with either bike at the track though.
WMRRA #98
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
ohpyramids
Latebird

Oddometer: 56
I am really interested in this segment of the market. I do alot of commuter miles and travel via moto a few times a year. I have no desire to take a 5-600lb motorcycle offroad, but I do want to have a fun&stable platform to travel and explore the country.

All I can add is that my current monster is not working out well. (cramped balls)

I can't wait to see a comparison video between the SMT and hyperstrada.
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #30
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
MCN did a comparison where they rode a GS, GSXR1000, SMT, and VFR (I think) for a few hours to the track, and then did some track riding. The SMT was only a tad slower at the track than the GSXR. Youtube should have it, it's pretty interesting.

You should be fine with either bike at the track though.
was a GSXR 750.

DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote