Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #61
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Boy, did this thread turn into a whole lotta something about where the bike is made rather than what it's about.

I am happy to see manufacturers offering more cost conscious bikes. I can understand they have to cut some corners on quality and apparently where it's built, but that does give the consumer some options. You DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT if you don't like it, but maybe it will allow some bloke to get into motorcycling where maybe he/she might not be able to afford to before. Of course there's always used, but maybe some want to buy a new bike. Triumph has been doing this with their twin cylinder bikes and I've ridden the Thruxton, it's a nice bike, I'd love to have one in my garage. I think it's a bargain.

In comparison to the Ninja 300, it seems apples to oranges to me. I'd compare the CB500X to the Versys 650 and the CB500R to the Ninja 650, that appears closer to me. The Honda is cheaper and less displacement and power than the Kawi. I don't see too many bikes in the 500 class right now. Once upon a time we had nice even class breakes, 250, 500, 750, 1000. Now you've got a jumble of sizes and have to compare those apples and oranges.

I'd have to ride the new CB500 to know how it stacks up. I've ridden the Versys 650 (not the Ninja) and I've ridden the Ninja 300, plus the old Ninja 500. Also bunch of older parallel twins from Honda, CB 360s, Hawk 400, etc. Honestly I'm not a fan of 180 deg parallel twins. I wish Honda had chosen to put a 270 crank in the new CB500 engine.

I think this bike is right in line with those older Honda "budget" twins, people have just forgotten that Honda once offered such bikes. To me there's a huge jump from the 250/300 class to a 500 class bike in terms of torque. You don't have to rev the piss out of a 500 class bike to pass a car, the 300 needs to be above 10k rpm to make a pass, that's the difference and what that means to you is important. The 300 is a sweet bike for it's size, no complaints, it's just what's important for your riding style and budget.

The 300 you rode must have been broken. It shines from 6k-8k, near or over 10k it is just making noise with the stock tune. It is a midrange motor if there ever was one.

You can stand the ER6-n on its nose with the twin discs. My 300 has SS lines, HH sintered pads and I'm about to add a Tokico 4 piston caliper to get more power/feel. With the ER6 I could live with pads and hoses. Maybe the Honda is better? I can't see why it would be, especially with the extra weight.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #62
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 507
Either one would make excellent beginner bikes, especially for the kind of rider that want's a super sport like with better ergos.

BTW, anyone else notice you can no longer get a brand new super sport for under $11k anymore?!
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #63
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
The 300 you rode must have been broken. It shines from 6k-8k, near or over 10k it is just making noise with the stock tune. It is a midrange motor if there ever was one.

You can stand the ER6-n on its nose with the twin discs. My 300 has SS lines, HH sintered pads and I'm about to add a Tokico 4 piston caliper to get more power/feel. With the ER6 I could live with pads and hoses. Maybe the Honda is better? I can't see why it would be, especially with the extra weight.
Can't comment on the 500cc Hondas or the Ninja 300, but the NC700X with
it's single rotor up front has a LOT better brakes then my Ninja 650R did.

If the brakes on the 500 hondas are the same, they'll be better then
everything else in it's class and then some.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #64
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
well i am looking at these two bikes and yes also the 650R and cbr250 simply because i do not have the money now so this gives time to wait and read all the comparos and for people like Navi to mode the hell out of there new bikes!

every year i have notice that bikes go up in prices even the ones that had nothing added or replace except Bold New graphics! and still 300-400 usd more for next year, so having mid price options are good for the non rich, and also there is the aftermarket for improving what you think needs addressing, brakes, suspention, lights seat or what ever you think.

I would like a 600 cc bike but it is like over $10K and that is a lot of money so having a 500 cc for about $5-6 is a good thing.

I want to ride the ninja since I think i will be very happy with it!

Cheers and lets wait for the comparisons to come from the mags and owners

Damasovi