User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
bob highsmith OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
old man's dual sport?

been riding since I was 13-14 years old...Nortons, yamahas, hondas, bmw's and harleys all in my history...
62 now...and beginning to feel it...
own 2 harleys that I enjoy; a very muscular 113 cubic inch custom putting maybe 120 torque on ground...
and a comfy old road king that has carried me to Canada and back 2 times from my south central USA home.
BUT...sure am looking at the triumph 800 abs tiger as my do everything motorcyle for my old age...not to say it is a
"geezer glide"..but that it is kind of a universal...an everyman's kind of machine.
Any other old guys out there on these things to report in? any longer term owners with 50k plus on 'em now
who have comments on whether they are long time keepers or not?
thanks...
bob highsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
people would need to know your height and inseam to make a good recomendation, many of the dual sport and ADV bikes are a handful if your legs are not long...
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,790
The Tiger will make you feel young again although I'm not sure if that's a good thing to bones and joints in the dirt
Old 11-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
bob highsmith OP
Adventurer

that's why I feel my age!...my last really good crash was in Texas...near vernon..banged up my ankle...
before that I went rubber up near hungry horse, montana and boy that did hurt...I rode a scooter with a bent frame home and my ribs made very breath count...think I kind of separated the cartilage of the ribs from ny breat bone...cause it just almost made a crybaby of me...
(ok, it probably DID make a crybaby of me)...
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
bob highsmith OP
Adventurer

my inseam is a mere 30 inches...alas my waist is a good deal more these days...
when I got my first motorcyle I believe my waiwt was 26 and my inseam 30...;
inseam is same, waist is an embarassment.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Bob, I'm 62 with a 30" inseam as well. I have a DR650 as my DS bike. It's all I need. Some complain about the lack of range......works for me though
However, I do admit a wee bit of lust for a F700GS. The 800 is just too tall for me.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob highsmith View Post
Glad to hear you're ok after that!

But yea the tiger might need to be lowered with your inseam. I have a 32" and can place both feet on ground.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob highsmith View Post
I'm right there with you: waste > inseam.

I too, like the Tiger. Are the standard Tigers lower than the XC800 version? I have a 32" inseam, and find the XC800 a bit tall with just toes on the ground. I suspect you would only get one foot on the ground, which is fine for those comfortable with that.

If you want something shorter, you might consider the Scrambler:

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,044
We need a real adventure stepthrough scooter. When I have all my gear on and the Tiger is loaded I have a hell of a time getting on and off. Throw in some bad weather and a deteriorating hip and things get dicey.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
puttman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Bob,

It sounds like maybe you don't need a true dual sport. I'm a few years behind you but recommend checking out a Kawasaki Versys. It is an 'all-rounder' that has decent suspension a nice motor and standard ergonomics. With better tires it is capable on forest service roads and very good on pavement. You can find used low mileage for around 5k. With a aftermarket windshield it can double as a (solo) touring bike. Maintenance consist of gas, oil and rubber.

Tom
puttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
1950 must have been a good year.
I'm 62 and have 32 inseam. I have a 800 ABS and love it. I put 1750 miles on her on a trip to NC in a week. Had a couple 500 mile days. It was easer than the 1200 miles I put on my Daytona 675 on last years trip.
IndyTiger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
My 2 cents.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
people would need to know your height and inseam to make a good recomendation, many of the dual sport and ADV bikes are a handful if your legs are not long...

He ain't buyin' a pair of pants..............Find what you like and go ridin'.
I am 63 and ride an old Honda Transalp..........I like it.....
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Bob,
I don't have your years in the saddle, but do suffer from a long "rounding" torso and a 30" inseam. The 800XC with the standard seat, no panniers and the preload set for about 250# had my heals just a bit off the ground. So I mounted the Triumph lower seat and this put me flat footed in my riding boots. Coming off a ST1300, the XC is like a shot of adrenalin every time I put the kickstand up. The Tiger 800XC has been much quicker than any cruiser I've ridden or ridden with . Take the 800XC or standard 800 out for a ride. So easy to ride, light and nimble.....you won't be disappointed!

Deano
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #14
bob highsmith OP
Adventurer

thanks

thanks for all the good advice. I will be heading to the triumph shop to test a tiger 800 ABS standard...
anybody had one of these tigers long enough to give a long-term report on satisfaction..they all look good
when new, but after 30k or so, does it still seem like a good buy? Reason I ask, is I tend to keep machinery...
actually, I even give it a name sooner or later...like my mechanical pet or something I guess.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
bob highsmith OP
Adventurer

battered bearded bastards?

ok, probably not a good name for it..but maybe could use a line on this forum for the people who qualify for the Sr. citizen discount...remember the Triumph Bonneville TT special when it was the neatest motorcycle on the planet...and are still out there.
I actually do remember that TT...a local Triumph shop had turned Honda too..had a shiney new TT on a dias in middle of the store...
and I wanted it so bad...but alas...I had to make do with my 305 honda scrambler. oh well, to this day I have
fond memories of that old scrambler. my first donuts and figure 8's..my first hill climbing...my first enduro-type racing...my first real road trip...all on that old honda...sigh.
maybe that's what has this old man looking for a tiger 800? hahahaha...too old to stop now I guess!