Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
TABR
Lost Again

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob highsmith View Post
ok, probably not a good name for it..but maybe could use a line on this forum for the people who qualify for the Sr. citizen discount...remember the Triumph Bonneville TT special when it was the neatest motorcycle on the planet...and are still out there.
I actually do remember that TT...a local Triumph shop had turned Honda too..had a shiney new TT on a dias in middle of the store...
and I wanted it so bad...but alas...I had to make do with my 305 honda scrambler. oh well, to this day I have
fond memories of that old scrambler. my first donuts and figure 8's..my first hill climbing...my first enduro-type racing...my first real road trip...all on that old honda...sigh.
maybe that's what has this old man looking for a tiger 800? hahahaha...too old to stop now I guess!
The regular tiger 800 will have a lower seat height than the XC with a little bit better road manners (my opinion) and you can order a beak for it if you like that look. I chose the XC I have 30" inseam weigh 160 lbs and have no problems one footing at stops otherwise I'm on the balls of my feet when stopped and I'm AARP eligible. Enjoy the test rides.
TABR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,098
Hey Bob.. I am turning 60 so I bought myself a Super Tenere. I have short legs and I find it easier to move around at low speed than my KLR.

It hides its weight well when it is mobile... can be a handful backing it into the little shed though.

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
tiger

well I just happen to be 62, 5'8" and about 160 lbs. The biggest problem with most dual sports for me anymore is wind managment, what has a good and real windscreen, ain't to tall with to high a CG, and a reasonably compliant suspension for my back. Don't like big jars so much anymore. The GFs F700 twin does a real nice job without being to tall or too heavy. The Cee Bailey Euro touring windscreen keeps the worst of the wind off without any real buffetting. No Trump dealers close by so no experience there, the new Tenere is pretty nice but heavier than I like, so I just keep riding my 1200GS till something better comes along. Tried a Wee Strom and the wind beat me to death. The F700 would really tempt me if I needed a new bike. Perhaps the new DL1000 when it finally shows up, but just a concept bike so far. Much depends on how much pavement and wind you want to deal with, the Tiger and F800 are both a bit taller than I like at my height, if they were lighter they would be fine, my DRZ is taller, but almost a hundred pounds lighter, so no problem. But woudn't want to do a 100 miles of pavement on it either. Always wanted a RK, maybe next summer.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #20
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob highsmith View Post
..I had to make do with my 305 honda scrambler. oh well, to this day I have
fond memories of that old scrambler.
Ah, the old Honda 305. I remember mine well. Used to ride from Apache Jct to Tortilla Flat every Sunday morning with a pal that had a 250 Yamaha 2 stroke twin and get a few beers from a barmaid with a nose-ring.

Okay. Too much information.......

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
Humblebub
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bob. 66 here and riding since 12. I have a R1200RT, F650GS and a R80RT. Just sold KLR and Ducati MST. Have owned most brands styles over the years. Loved them all including old Harleys and Urals. Love what I have but given the age of my joints I keep turning to F650. 30 inch inseam too which limits choices. Just remember, the best number of motorcycles is the next one

hb
Humblebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Yeah 60 here and 5'9" with 31" inseam. Been ridin since the 1960's and my 1st bike was a Honda 160 scramber. I thought it was the fastest bike in the world and rode it like I stole it everyday. Lol! I think having that 160 scrambler is what always catches my eye when I see the new Triumph scrambler. Kinda of has a place in my heart. However, recently I sold my Harley electra glide and Klr 650. After a 3000 mile trip this summer on the Harley I just got tired of lifting that beast off the kickstand all day everyday. On the way home I told myself this is it, my heavy weight Harley days are over. With the Klr for me its just wouldn't work as a tourer and at 60 lets face it serious dirts not on my agenda anymore. So I replaced them with a Buell Uly XT and a wee-strom. I bought both at very affordable prices in great shape and low miles. The Buell gives me that grunt and torque I new I'd be missing from the Harleys for blasting around the southwest U.S. where I live, and the Wee-Strom has become my primary tourer because its just so damn reliable and will take you just about anywhere you want to go there and back.
Nookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #23
NorthernStar
Work in Progress

Oddometer: 243
Bob,
Like "Happy Snapper " I too went the Yamaha Super Tenere way after riding 1150 GS & GSA's for quite some time. Simply got tired of the weight - loved the range though. 5'9" and 31 inseam and I can flatfoot the Tenere when the seat is lowered and absolutley love the handling and power band on the dirt and street. As a two up tourer - you can't go wrong either - ask my wife .
You need to try the Tenere before deciding on a ride - you will not regret it - who knows you may turn to the dark side as many of us did.

What ever you do decide on - it is great to know that we can still go vertical in the morning at our age (it may take a while somedays) and come home after a long days rideon dirt or on the road with a silly grin on our faces.
Enjoy life
Frank
Old 11-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,937
On a budget and have had a Caponord 1000 for six years...after a little sorting love it
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
I know a couple fellas well north of 60 who just purchased 800 Tigers in the past year and LOVE them.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
go ride it and buy what make you happy... what someone else likes make little to no difference.

for me wouldn't even consider a Tiger or 1200GS or Tenere, etc. all too heavy, too much electronics to break... etc. Tiger is not bad at 474lb wet

R80G/S just over 400lb wet is still a pig, but compared to 575lb+ bikes. it's downright light. best of all little to no electronics to break down. what works for me probably doesn't even come close for you.

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 05:42 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
VerSteve
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Old Mans Universal

Well, I'm in there with you. I started on a Bridgestone 90 in 1966! Been thru 40 bikes including a Uly, Elelfant, V-Strom, Versys I'm Now riding the Tiger 800XC ABS. Love to hit the gravel roads with either bike.
The 800 is a fantastic bike, well balanced, handles anything , good brakes, etc.........but go for a long ride on one first. After the torque monsters I've owned the Triple has some low end pull but not Grunt. Who needs 10,000 rpm on a dirt road!! The front forks need a little TLC. High speed highway bumps, above 65 are terrible. People are getting some work done to them. Get the low seat from Triumph, its sits better. Put on the peg lowering kit, bar risers and everyone loves it.
One issue........The straight cut gears are music to my friends ear, but not my cup of tea. The whine bothers me so I go faster.

Anyway, The bike looks great and I keep going back to it with multiple bikes.
However for the money and fun & light weight and possible three day trips, errands around the neighborhood, etc get the Versys.$3,500 for one used. If you have money or need to head across country........get the Tiger XC. The regular 800 looks like a BMW.
If you are in/near Baltimore stop by, we we can go for a ride.
VerSteve
VerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Greetings Bob - 64 y/o - 30" inseam - 165#. The XC, with low gel seat, allows me to get the first 3" of my toes of the boots down on terra firma. (thick soles on the Danner goretex Arcadia boots do help) I've mostly had tall bikes (Girlie, KLR, Uly etc) when I migrated from cruisers / touring bikes10 years ago - never looked back. PS: the expanded waist size provides a bit of "cushion" for those hard landings.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #29
bob highsmith OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
got my tiger

well, pickup up my tiger 800 tuesday...
for the standard...I may do a bit
of dirt trail riding and sich,
but I am probably never going
to see dakar or the baja 1000.
for an old man I am pretty excited...
now I got a couple of harley's to sell..
anyboy got an offer??
bob highsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #30
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
No offer, but congratulations. I was going to buck the trend and make an entirely different suggestion, but I'm way too late you did fine.
Enjoy your new ride!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote