Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #31
DirtViking
SKOL!

Oddometer: 367
I wouldn't go with a 250. I owned a KLX-250S and it was ok. It got me into riding in the dirt, but after about 4 months, I was yearning for more. Of the bikes you listed, I would look at the DRZ.

One thing to keep in mind is that whatever bike you buy, you'll eventually need heavier springs in it that match your weight, riding, etc. That probably doesn't have to be done immediately, but once you start pushing the bike you'll be fighting against the underweighted springs. Just something to keep in mind. Obviously, if you find a bike for sale, and the owner has done all that work, you'd be a step ahead.

I agree with the other poster that said we don't have enough information about where you intend to ride. It would help if you identified that. Dual sport is different for everyone. Might be hard to put your finger on, but what kind of riding does your buddy do? Explain the offroad stuff...

At your size, I would find a bike that has comfortable ergo's. An anemic engine might sound ok to you right now, but how about cramped too???? Seems to me a DR650 or XR650 might be appropriate. If your buddy owns a DR650, then it might help in owning the same bike. You could learn together, help each other out, etc., etc. Ideally, you'd like to find a bike that's been ridden and maintained. I'd pay a premium for the maintained part...

Engine power should be managed by proper throttle and clutch control. Two fingers on the clutch all the time will help against whiskey throttle. That's what you're trying to prevent, right? I try to get everyone I ride with to do it.

An MSF dirt rider course and just some basic instruction from a qualified instructor would go a long way, especially in your first few months. You may be able to do that prior to buying a bike. With proper instruction, you might be able to outride your buddy in a few months... That would be cool!

Good luck.

Jon
DirtViking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #32
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,283
Have a read of my ride in Aus today

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841875

Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote