Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #331
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
If that is actually true and accurate he's a dipshit. But I'll reserve judgement because I wasn't there
Frank made possible for Guzzisti to ride their bikes cross country with his contact list for members. Not to mention information distribution in his monthly letter and brand promotion. I can't think of many that contributed to their brands as he did.
If he told me a special tool is needed, I'd believe him.
Dipshit?! Really!

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #332
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Frank made possible for Guzzisti to ride their bikes cross country with his contact list for members. Not to mention information distribution in his monthly letter and brand promotion. I can't think of many that contributed to their brands as he did.
Dipshit?! Really!
Yes. Really. If, of course, the story presented is true. There's no reason to deprive someone of something they've already paid you for simply because they pointed out you were wrong about something.

I helped an awful lot of folks accomplish and complete the two wheeled trips of their lifetime during the time I worked in the business. But that never gave me license to abuse them. They always got treated with respect unless they begged for something less.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #333
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
capricco

He told me he couldn't get a feeler gauge to go in when on top dead center of the compression stroke. I researched it on the Cali 1400 forum and even phoned his dealer. (Why didn't he do that?) They said no special tool needed. I told him so and he got irate. The help directory doesn't have many members. Have you ever seen the BMW book for members ready to help? Its huge. These patches and tips books etc are a way to bring him more spending money. Its a family business with his daughter.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #334
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
I like hot the California in white looks like a old school police bike. I wonder if that would help people "see a police bike" on the road versus "not noticing a cruiser"?

I was trying to figure out why the California says "police" more than a white H-D Road King does and it took me a bit. It's black and white colors. The H-D RK has pinstriping and other detailing that dress it up.

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 04:49 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #335
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Dipshit?! Really!
Past-tense.

Everyone who refers to Frank refers to things he did for the Guzzi community years, even decades, ago.

I'm sure he was a vital driving force in the Guzzi community when I was in diapers, but time has passed him by.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #336
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Frank

He certainly has done a tremendous amount for Guzzi. He's a tireless worker and rider. The club has provided him a living for years. No vote on what is or is not printed. If it doesn't agree with his thinking you won't read it. Enough about Frank. He's a good guy but tremendously hard headed and opinionated. Have you ever noticed at rallys he only hangs with a few people?
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #337
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
I like hot the California in white looks like a old school police bike. I wonder if that would help people "see a police bike" on the road versus "not noticing a cruiser"?

I was trying to figure out why the California says "police" more than a white H-D Road King does and it took me a bit. It's black and white colors. The H-D RK has pinstriping and other detailing that dress it up.
"Poleece" or not - that is a NICE looking bike!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #338
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Saw the new Cali Thursday. It's much better looking in person than it is in photos. Even the headlight, which I think looks hideous in pics, integrates with the styling well in the flesh. The only thing I didn't like about how it looks are the tail lights on the fender. They're just a little too cutesy/styled for my tastes.

The bike is huge...Road King huge. Hauling it off the side stand takes real effort. The seat is fantastic. It is almost too wide. I had to scoot forward a little to where the seat narrows in order to put my feet down. It would probably take me a month to figure out how to toggle between all the available traction settings and the info available on the dash.

If I had the cash this year, I'd LOVE a black, stripped version. Then I'd spend the summer bevelling off the floorboards on the Kancamangus.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #339
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,717
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #340
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,271
Didn't see the Ride Apart review listed here before. It's from April.

http://rideapart.com/2013/04/rideapa...lifornia-1400/

The comments are amusing as well.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #341
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
^Interesting review (and comments, as you said). Thanx!
One commenter (Mario C), at the end, said the fenders were plastic?
Izzat so?
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #342
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,539
Well, I have been looking forward to seeing one in the flesh, and swinging a leg over to try one out.

Local dealer had one in that went straight out. One more coming in 'soon', but they called me today and said it wont be in until the end of August, and thats one is already sold plus another white one.

They must have got something right.

That said it doesn't look like I will get to ride one until late fall at the earliest.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #343
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBrit View Post
Well, I have been looking forward to seeing one in the flesh, and swinging a leg over to try one out.

Local dealer had one in that went straight out. One more coming in 'soon', but they called me today and said it wont be in until the end of August, and thats one is already sold plus another white one.

They must have got something right.

That said it doesn't look like I will get to ride one until late fall at the earliest.
When they first hit the dealer, there was supposed to be a 90 day hold on selling the demo so that as many folks a possible would get a chance to test ride one.

I know my local dealer has held to that and is keeping one as a demo since it has been such a drawing card to get folks into a Moto Guzzi dealership.

Check around, another dealer may still have a demo in stock.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #344
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,539
Thanks, and good idea I will try that.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #345
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,755
my Australian friend Pete Roper bought one in Texas (I think) last month. If you spend anytime on the Wild Guzzi board or the AF1 Aprilia board, you know who Pete is.

He and his lovely wife rode it to Michigan and down the east coast. They are supposed to visit us Friday. I can't wait to see it and get a full report. Pete knows Guzzi's unlike anyone I've ever met.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote