Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #31
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
Amen, I've had these for two years and love them, easy on, easy off and completely waterproof!!!
I agree, great boot, should almost last forever.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #32
Beekeeper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Mmm, I thought I was in Equipment, anyway I got some responses which confirm my thoughts on the boots, thanks guys, your input was useful, I'll now bugger off and not trouble AR again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
Wrong section... should be asking in the "Equipment" section, but I'm sure a mod will move this for you.

Also, there's a search feature in the upper right corner. Navigate to the "Equipment section", click "Search this forum", and you get some results like this:

http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=20531149

That may get you going!
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,550
I've always bought Sidi.

The road boots with the zipper and flap on the inside can be a pain with some bikes. The flap can get caught on the bike.

I just got the Sport Rain and love them....ahhhh the comfort!

Just know some 'off road' boots make shifting gear on a road bike a little difficult unless you adjust your shifter mechanism.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
I have aset of Sidi Adventure Rain boots....love them...just not thrilled with the squeak.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #35
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqgsrider View Post
Another option is this Gaerne

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...oots_p_79.html

Anyone have any experience with either boot?
I have owned the Gaerne Oiled for three years. I do 60/40 off road/on road and have found them to be EXCELLENT in fit, protection and comfort. My only complaint is the sole gets cold when riding in winter temps thereby letting the bottom of my foot chill. Fixed with thermal liners!
As I remember I got them from the Bomber's @ Atomic Moto and they were $300 then. Quality does nothing but go up.................

Reccommendation......get them before they get more expensive

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #36
Element_6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqgsrider View Post
Another option is this Gaerne

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...oots_p_79.html

Anyone have any experience with either boot?
I am using these on my F800GS out here in Cambodia. For what I want I cant imagine they could be bettered. Totally waterproof, supremely comfortable, you can get off your bike and hike in them (maybe 80% as comfortable as a hiking boot), you can go to the bar and pull your jeans over them and you wont look like a lost deep sea diver. Also in temperatures of 35C + and humidity of over 80% my feet stay bone dry and don't sweat, maybe something that boots with more plastic would cause.

as a previous poster said, be honest with yourself about what you will do and what you will carry. For me riding is not just about sitting on the bike all day but also about getting off and seeing some of the places I vist. These supremely comfortable boot are great for that. If I was MX'ing or skilled enough to do the really gnarly stuff then maybe I would want more protection, but the level offered by these boots is pretty good.

I tried the Sidi Adventure at the same shop as I bought mine, and they are a lovely boot, just not as lovely as the Gaerne
Element_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I have owned the Gaerne Oiled for three years. I do 60/40 off road/on road and have found them to be EXCELLENT in fit, protection and comfort. My only complaint is the sole gets cold when riding in winter temps thereby letting the bottom of my foot chill. Fixed with thermal liners!
As I remember I got them from the Bomber's @ Atomic Moto and they were $300 then. Quality does nothing but go up.................

Reccommendation......get them before they get more expensive
thermal liners? boot liners or warm socks?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #38
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Sidi adv gortex

The sidi adv goretex are great. I researched this purchase all of last year. It was btwn the gaurne oiled and the sidi. The sidi offered more protection which was my primary criteria for the boot followed by ability to walk in them with some degree of comfort. These boots are very light, waterproof, look good enough to wear to work in comfort all day, can pull jean pant legs down over the boot. I was going to buy them at full retail $625 but no one had them in my size. After waiting 2 months
I ordered from Germany for $336.00 at www.fc-MOTO.com. If you order them express (air) you will pay a higher shipping charge but you will have no duty or tax. If you order most economical method it may take a month to get them, they will ship air DHL to the US and then go into our postal system. This is what I did and I got a bill from the post man for about $37.00 dollars so roughly 10% of the purchase price. If I had it to do over I would order express, it will go DHL the whole way and quickly and no duty charges. I am planning to order a pair of sidi crossfires from them soon with the same kind of savings experienced with the ADV's.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #39
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Gaerne G-Midland's.

Waterproof, more support than the Gaerne G-Adventure or Balance Oiled.

Super comfortable. No break-in really required.

Key protection include a plastic protector at the heel, hard supports at the ankle and shin, a more reinforced and rigid toe, shift level guards, and several other supports. Comfort features include a trick stretch panel at the calf, that lets them fit big calves well, and a Gaerne Aquatech waterproof membrane. A lugged sole lets you walk on loose terrain.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #40
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardroadking View Post
If you order them express (air) you will pay a higher shipping charge but you will have no duty or tax.
Do you know the cost of express air, and the duty and tax ?

Wasn't able to get the info from the site. Getting ready to jump into a pair..
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #41
Spud2836
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
[QUOTE=hardroadking;20047648]The sidi adv goretex are great.

+1 great boots
Spud2836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #42
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,427
I've been using Axo Prime for real dirt explorations on the small bike, and, in the past, used my street boots (Tourmaster) on the light DS on the big bike. That was until my rear caught some air, the wheel started coming ahead of me (airborne) and whacked the rear of my heel. What exactly hit I don't know, i just know I somehow managed to jerk the bike back to a forward pointing position before it landed. The heel hurt pretty bad for a few days.
I got A* Scouts shortly thereafter as my ADV boots. They loog good, support rather well, are comfortable for walking/hiking, are waterproof, and don't look like a spaceship gear when I go grab something to eat.

So far, they have been really good to me from 90F to 22F (hasn't been colder yet)
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Sidi Canyons for what you describe

Heels are bleh imo.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #44
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
thermal liners? boot liners or warm socks?
Thermal sole's and /or warm (wool) socks. Prefer the thermal sole's as the socks make them somewhat too tight.

Similar to these
http://www.basspro.com/3M-Thinsulate...a-000027f82ff6

although looking at these
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...heated-insoles

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #45
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
when i ride the dirt bike, im in my sidi crossfires< other than that i LOVE my gearne balanced oil boots!
Instantly comfortable, and i can wear them all day on or off the bike.
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote