Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Epictetus70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
HID conversion 2012 GS Adventure (Pictorial)

There is already a thread on a conversion for a GS, so I figured I'd post my pic's on a new thread in case the frame is a bit different.

After reading several threads including the one I mentioned above I decided to order mine from Adventure Designs. The product is by 1 Off Motorsports. I purchased both hi and low beam for $149.00

HID Xenon Headlight Conversion Kit (Canbus friendly)

1 Off Motorsports had a pretty good video of the whole process, but left it up to you where you mounted the ballast and the additional components.

Needless to say it took me some time to find the right place to mount said hardware, to the point, that I had to relocate them a few times which took more time. For the sake of saving others time I wanted to post some pictures of where I mounted my components to help others in this process. My hope is this will cut down on installation time for others.

The below picture is the right side of the bike, to give you reference. The following picture is simply a close up of the right side as well. I had to bend the mounting bracket it came with, to attach it to the bike. If you look to the left of the ballast you can see the silver screw (mounting point). You'll notice I also zip tied the ballast in case the screw gets loose. I did the same on the other side. I took a marker to the body so you wouldn't see the silver body through the vent of the faring. I also used several zip-ties.

This is the left side of the bike (large/small picture). You can see I used the mounting point on the lower right side of the ballast on this side along with more zip-ties.

This is just a view of how I "tucked" the wires from the headlight assembly so as not to get in the way of the fork, again using zip-ties.

And lastly a simply picture of them on! Install complete and working fine. You'll notice I didn't change out the incandescent running light because I yet to find an LED bulb that won't cause Canbus errors. If anyone knows of one, please share with a link, thank you.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this install for the next inmate please do!

Cheers!!
Epictetus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Epictetus70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yea.....I didn't cover the entire process (pictures) because that is already done on the video and the instructions that come with the HID kit are clear and concise.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus70 View Post
Oh yea.....I didn't cover the entire process (pictures) because that is already done on the video and the instructions that come with the HID kit are clear and concise.
Looks pretty similar to my install. Except i did only the low beam.
Can you tell me if you low-beam bulb has the return wire above the bulb, or below, when mounted in the bike???

OH By the way...how is the lighting down-range?.....say past 100 feet?? Do you get a lot of light out to the sides of the bike?

Thanks
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Epictetus70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Qman- Sorry for the late response.

I'm not sure if I follow you but if I think what your asking me is correct, I can't remember off the top of my head.

What I can tell you is I'm using the same HID bulb in the high beam. They do sit opposite when installed. When viewing them from the front, the ceramic rod in the low beam "sits" on the bottom and on the high beam, it "sits" on the top. I hope that helps.

It definitely seems farther than the standard bulb. Not sure if it's 100 feet. it's cleaner, whiter. It does a real nice job of lighting up the sides in my opinion.

Ride safe!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,739
So, are these HID conversions really worth it? In performance I mean? I only ask because lights that are designed from scratch to be HID use special reflectors. With the conversions, the incandescent reflector is maintained. I don't doubt the increased intensity or whiteness, just not sure we get the full benefit of the light.

Hopefully there is a light guru out there somewhere that will respond.

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac62 View Post
So, are these HID conversions really worth it? In performance I mean? I only ask because lights that are designed from scratch to be HID use special reflectors. With the conversions, the incandescent reflector is maintained. I don't doubt the increased intensity or whiteness, just not sure we get the full benefit of the light.

Hopefully there is a light guru out there somewhere that will respond.
I have read that a lot about the reflectors. All I know is my HID's are significantly brighter than stock. There are before and after pics on the forum that show that too.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
I have read that a lot about the reflectors. All I know is my HID's are significantly brighter than stock. There are before and after pics on the forum that show that too.
Yep, agreed, and it may be a conversion I would do just for conspicuity.

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
I'm a 1 Off fan -- great people to work with! The HIDs are brighter, more light, significant improvement over stock and no faults. They also have an LED parking bulb that works -- also no faults:

NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Go with max. 4500 color temperature

I've converted my R1200GS (lo-beam only) and the 3rd ballast worked (DDM Tuning), the others gave me lamp faults.
No resistor/capacitor required, directly powered from headlight plug.
I went with 35W/4500k and it looks great, no blueish tint.
You'll have to play with the headlight (up/down) adjuster-screw later on and since this can be done in a minute, no problem.

I find the added light output very helpful but not sure if the beam pattern at night is that great. I find there is a tendency
for too much light close in front of the bike and not enough in the distance, I might be wrong.
I'd do the conversion again if I'd start over again.

Hi-Beam:
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
I put in DDM 55W 5000K high and low's. At first I got no errors but did get a LAMPF ! on a cool morning. If I waited until the engine was warm, there would be no error. If you buy one of these for $15 you don't get any error. You actually get two but you don't need one for the high beem.

Total cost $85 and I do recommend the high beam. Yep, there is a delay but you just have to get accustomed to it. It does a great job of filling in the center of the road.

TuefelHunden screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 11:19 AM
TuefelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
I too did the 1Off conversion and then went to Morimoto's and a set of Phillips D2S bulbs instead of the direct H7 replacement HID bulb 'configuration'. The D2S bulbs are a bit brighter than the H7 HID replacements, BUT a whole lot more work. The Morimoto's have a slightly shorter warm up period and are 50W ballasts too so there is probably at least a 15% light increase over 1Off and I would imagine DDM's 35W systems.

This is geared to using D2S bulbs = The 'night' beam pattern is not like stock; it is more dispersed and right now I have a thin line or 'beam' of intensified light (right around the spot where projectors have the cut off pattern - in the middle of the beam) in which I'm trying to eliminate by using a modified "Casper Shield" around the bulb. http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...x=0&search.y=0 Actually I modified the original to the point where it doesn't work any more and now going back and starting all over again and see what happens. Sigh... again this was geared to using D2S bulbs.

I've done a little research in the comparison of beam patterns using HID replacement bulbs in stock reflectors. Most forum posts say you wont get the stock beam pattern because the stock reflectors are made to a certain focal point in the stock bulb. The HID bulbs don't have that same length so the beam pattern is off. Here is one example. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-glare-shields

Here is an online pic of a ballast setup that I used as a reference (to be fair the following pic is from this web site http://www.hid50.com/: - if I knew how to upload pics from my computer to this forum I would (PM me with info if you would)... I like the idea of not removing any plastic to replace the ballasts - which in this case they have to 100% waterproof too).

The 1Off's work right out of the box.

The Morimoto's with the D2S bulbs take some work to get going and tweak to get things right. On the plus side right now I can use *any* ballast with my current set up (Any OEM ballast - Denso etc. (make sure you seal the OEM's up) as long as they have integrated igniters - the headlight assembly on a 2011 GSA does not have enough room to house an igniter behind the dustcover) and any D2S bulb with some slight modifications. The minus is the time and money to tweak the D2S bulbs to work right. Also with the 50W Morimoto's I had to use a relay set up on the low beam side of things...

Anyway... a lot of rambling just to show another way to mount ballasts...

WindSailor screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 12:24 PM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Epictetus70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nova Rider - Can you tell me the part # or name....been looking for the light without luck.....was worried it would give a fault code with the canbus. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I'm a 1 Off fan -- great people to work with! The HIDs are brighter, more light, significant improvement over stock and no faults. They also have an LED parking bulb that works -- also no faults:

Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
kenc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
1 Off Motorsports Out of Biz

I've been scouring these types of HID conversions for the R12GS and 1 Off Motorsports gets high marks from all of you. Unfortunately, according to their website (www.1offmotorsports.com/) they are now out of business. Does anyone have a solid lead on an HID conversion kit for the GS offered by a company that has been around awhile and doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon? Thanks.
kenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Epictetus70 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc View Post
I've been scouring these types of HID conversions for the R12GS and 1 Off Motorsports gets high marks from all of you. Unfortunately, according to their website (www.1offmotorsports.com/) they are now out of business. Does anyone have a solid lead on an HID conversion kit for the GS offered by a company that has been around awhile and doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon? Thanks.
I just googled "hid for bmw motocycles" and came across a few websites. Here's just one link.....good luck.

Looking at the second unit " Ultra Slim Digital HID KIT," it looks identical to my unit I bought from 1offmotorsports.

http://www.hidkitsxenonlights.com/bm...dlights-bulbs/
Old 10-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Here is an older post that includes some links to other vendors "here".

I don't know if the links are still good, but at least it's something.

1Off had a direct link to their supplier to where they could tweak the current draw in the ballasts being manufactured to match the canbus / ECU/ZFE requirements. That part was cool.

I don't know of another supplier that does that... and to be truthful I haven't tried yet to locate one.

So plug and play may be an issue. Some people have used DDM Tuning HD sets in the past - you have to read some more in the link above about possible issues.

I still use the Morimoto's and the D2S bulbs. But I also use a relay on the low beam side (with a 10 ohm resistor to act as a load for the canbus / ECU/ZFE system - the 16 ohm resistor turned out to be not enough after a while).

China has made a big push on the web to bypass all the local dealers.

If you want to talk to someone in the US, I'd call these guys here at The Retrofit Source and possibly talk to Matt to get your questions answered.

Or... ask more here...

WindSailor screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 01:38 PM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote