ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,587
Seeking some 990 exhaust header advice.

Problem: gasket is blown out.

Here's where I'm at. I have a ride this weekend and I have the replacement gaskets. I verified that it's the header joint in front of the cans that is leaking and making a lot of noise. The pipes look good, I don't think it's a crack. My real problem is that I tried to remove the silencers and the fasteners are pretty seized in place. I tried one and it seemed like it wanted to break rather than come out. I already tightened the clamps and it made it better for a couple days, but it's really loud again.

Question: Can I fix this without taking off the silencers? Does anyone know if I can leave the cans attached and slide it back enough to break that joint and replace the gaskets?

Here's my next move: I have some acetone and ATF that I plan to mix together as a home brew penetrating oil, then go out and apply to all the silencer fasteners right now. I'll let it soak in a day before I proceed. I heard that's the most effective oil, we shall soon find out.

I'd really like to make the ride this weekend, with a fixed exhaust. A loud bike is a deal breaker. If I break off one or more bolts in the silencers, I may have to break down and get some aftermarket ones. I was hoping not to, I like the quiet OEM noise level.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
I've never tried pulling the headers forward. But I doubt very much that will work given the various bends in the header pipes and the bind points and the fact that the front cyl pipe would have to go forward and the rear cyl pipe back.

I think you are the right track--penetrating oil. You could give the bolts a good tap with a punch--sometimes loosens a little. But, you gotta get em out eventually. Breaking one and having to easy out it would not be the end of the world. Remember the 3 bolt flange piece on the mid pipe, will spin around and give you access to the inner bolt, once you get the 2 outers loose.

Then again, it will be rideable as is. Go ride and deal with it when you get back.....

FWIW