Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #31
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
I had a mate, years ago, and we used to both drink and drive...a lot..then he crashed his car on the way home, got arrested, banned for a year and his insurance premiums sky rocketed...I never drank and drove again.

I learned, the easy way, from a friend's mistake.

I had another mate who left work on a Friday night on his Fireblade, he was headed to Wales for a rally. It was winter and he lost it on a patch of black ice. He got lucky though, both he and his bike were OK...until a bus rounded the corner and ran over both his legs. He was wearing Sidi's and, although he had to use a cane for a week and had some "awesome" bruising, he had no permanent damage. That's when I started wearing decent riding gear.

I learned, the easy way, from a friend's misfortune.

catweasel67 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 12:38 AM
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hiking boots, even great ones, don't protect your shins or provide much for impact protection along your ankles, etc.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #33
rallyeboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceputnam
Im just curious as to why anyone would spend 2-3 bills on a dedicated pair of riding boots when hiking boots like the Asolo seem so much more versatile.
Really?
I wonder why someone would own a 2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye bike, when there are far better far cheaper bikes that do a much better job at everything the BMW does, all while doing it at the fraction of cost, weight and complexity.

Oh right, it's the bike that for you fits the bill you want it to fit.

Same deal with everything.

Hey Squash, I agree with you on Same deal with every thing.........BUT..........there are no bikes far better than the 2012 BMW R1200Gs Rallye! Really....it's a amazing bike. Handles offroad as well as my previous klr 650, but does not vibrate you to death running down highway. I know some of the other bikes may have a smoother engine, but are not as balanced offroad as the GS. At least for me......it's the best bike!

Did not mean to change topic... And to be fair there are plenty of bikes almost as good as a BMW R1200GS Rallye!

Joe

rallyeboy screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 07:14 PM
rallyeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #34
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
what is Adventure Riding

So how do you define adventure riding? For me, regardless of the conditions or terrain I am riding in, if I leave from home in the morning and return home in the evening, that was not an adventure ride.
For me, an Adventure Ride is one where I am bringing my tools, my spare parts, my first adi kit, my survival gear, and the clothes, maps water etc...I'm going to need for that day of riding. I am usually out for two weeks or more when I do my Adventure rides. It would be great to carry dress shoes for dinner, hiking boots for hiking, running shoes for a run in the morning, sandals, slippers at night around the campfire, and just wear my Moto-X boots for riding. But, in my kind of Adv riding, unless I want to pull a trailer, or be so weighted down that the bike handles like a sherman tank, I have to limit what I carry with me. In my Adv riding, I don't know what terrain I will encounter each day of my ride so I need to be ready, equipment wise, to handle the extremes. I am riding a heavy bike, loaded with gear, that could trap my lower leg in a low speed drop, in rocks or on a slope with marbles etc... I want as much protection as I can find in a motorcycle boot that will also allow me to walk out if I have to, or at least allow me to explore a little or walk up to the look out from the single track, or climb the boulders for a better view and a great picture. I want a boot that doesn't attract attention, that I can wear under my pant legs and go out to dinner in or breakfast at the small town diner. On my Adv trips, I wear my sidi adv gtx, 90% of my waking hours and the rest, a 15 yr old pair of teva's that I can shove under the cargo net. In my Adv riding, I can only bring the minimum essential items with me. To the O.P. - your "ADV Riding" must be much different from mine.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #35
afmeyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
As usual these threads quickly get off topic. Maybe this comment can refocus the topic.
1. Only a moron rides without wearing protective gear. The older you are, the less likely you'll recover given the same intensity of accident.
2. You can buy purpose built boots for offroad riding for $90.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...rik-Boots.aspx
Interestingly, these boots seem to be made in an old tech factory as you can still replace the soles and heels easily at a local shoemaker. Some of the commenters didn't like them but for a modest cost you'll have much more protection than provided by a hiking boot.

Style is personal preference; the Sidi boots are too geeky to me with all the advertisements on them but, many may want that recognition. The other boots listed above are less flashy, got some good anecdotal ratings, and are inexpensive.
Maybe knowledgeable riders can post the names of off road boots they like.

afmeyer screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 08:06 AM Reason: typo
afmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,642
I try to use gear that is suited to the task . . . . .

this doesn't always mean moto-specific, high dollar stuff (my Elkskin ropers, for instance, are my go to glove), but sometimes it does mean exactly that (my two piece stich which has protected me in all weathers for a lil more than 15 years) . . .

For instance, I wore jump boots for a living, once, and cannot imagine counting on them to protect my feet in a motorcycle incident . . . .

of course, I wouldn't wear my On-Roads for a PLF, either . . . . . .

As far as logos are concerned, I'd rather not have to sport them, but some gear is exactly what I want, outside of the logos, and, since I'm gearing up for me, I don't give it too much thought . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #37
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceputnam View Post
I can understand using MX boots for when I ride in the track or in the dirt on my 250 or 450 dirtbikes but I do not understand what the reason for buying a specific set of boots for riding my GS would be. When I ride, I wear my Asolo GTX boots. They have been fantastic. They have a wrap around toe so no crazy issues with hitting the shift lever. They are 100% waterproof, solid as brass balls, and they are hiking boots so that means that when I am not on the bike I can actually walk like a human and never even think about changing boots. Also, I tend to do much more exploring off the bike when I see cool shit that I could imagine climbing or scaling a rock face with shorty moto boots on.

Im just curious as to why anyone would spend 2-3 bills on a dedicated pair of riding boots when hiking boots like the Asolo seem so much more versatile.
Do you wear a helmet? I guess you could replace it with a more allround item suitable for hiking....

12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #38
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,081
I heard, urban myth or not, that there are more bones in the foot than any other part of the body. The extra protection offered by riding boots was very appealing to me.

I wore Asolo Gore-tex boots for a couple of years, until a week-long ride where it rained every day. The Gore-tex didn't stop the water coming in the top of the boot, and every morning, I had to put semi-dry socked feet into saturated boots. I told myself that was my last ride without proper, waterproof riding boots.

For the record, I ride with my pant cuffs over my boots, so nobody sees the flashy name brand or thinks I'm super-cool in my 'adventure boots.' To be honest, I think most riding boots look like something Napoleon Dynamite would wear, so it ain't about the fashion.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #39
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Gearne SG12's.

All my 51 yr old body will wear at this point... even for local weekend rides. I'll gladly clomp around like Frankenstein off the bike, have people look at me and laugh... it's all good by me.... as long as it means while on my bike, I'm as protected as I feel I need to be. Accidents don't really care what I think, or for how short a ride I'm on... accidents just find you whenever they feel like it. My two cents? Be ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #40
rallyeboy
Adventurer

Amen Brother Hardpackrider! Don't dress for the ride....dress for unexpected concrete slam dance!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #41
rallyeboy
Adventurer

FYI.... after reading this post... I decided to order some Sidi Adventure gore-tex boots. Size 44. Could not find them in stock anywhere in the states. Most places had them listed for $500. I found them on ebay (NIB) from a company in Germany for $329 plus $39 shipping. Company name is Biker-Land.de. This seems like a really good deal.... Ordered them last night. Hopefully it will work out fine.

A buddy of mine brought up the possiblity of our current boots held on only by velco getting ripped off in a accident leaving your foot unprotected. He though about this after riding up on a falling MX rider in the woods who had his boot fly off on a accident. One more reason to wear good boots.

Joe
Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #42
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyeboy View Post
FYI.... after reading this post... I decided to order some Sidi Adventure gore-tex boots. Size 44. Could not find them in stock anywhere in the states. Most places had them listed for $500. I found them on ebay (NIB) from a company in Germany for $329 plus $39 shipping. Company name is Biker-Land.de. This seems like a really good deal.... Ordered them last night. Hopefully it will work out fine.

A buddy of mine brought up the possiblity of our current boots held on only by velco getting ripped off in a accident leaving your foot unprotected. He though about this after riding up on a falling MX rider in the woods who had his boot fly off on a accident. One more reason to wear good boots.

Joe
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840120

Everyone seems pleased with Biker-land service and prices.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #43
luftkoph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
These are all nice boots,but I can only find them in normal width,I need wide,like a snowshoe wide
luftkoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #44
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by luftkoph View Post
These are all nice boots,but I can only find them in normal width,I need wide,like a snowshoe wide
The Sidi runs narrow. Try the Gaerne for a boot with more room in the toe box.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #45
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,471
Boots with laces are not the best choice for off road riding. It would suck to catch a lace on the foot peg trying to put your foot on the ground.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote