ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Beater OP
The Bavarian Butcher
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,583
Mystery Swingarm Rust Bingo!

So, I got this unbelievable deal (it gets more believable, trust me) on an '87 R80 Swingarm with shaft and the 37/11 final drive attached to it. I make it a habit to spend the first 15 minutes of my day surfing Craigs and Ebay to see any great deals. They really haven't been coming up lately, so I was a bit trigger happy.

Anyway, this thing came up and he listed it as $250 or best offer. So I send him a lowball best offer and logged off. The next morning I found out he accepted it. Watery Chaos, I tell you.

So ... a week later it arrives. The parts are in great shape ... the final drive is smooth, the shaft isn't notchy at all, and the swingarm bearings look to have less than 10K on them. Freakin' score. But ... When I take it apart everything is covered in an oily rust. It's not the metal that is rusting ... these are like rust flakes. I can wipe the flakes off the parts and the parts are not the source of the rust ...

So ... to qualify for the bonus round ... where did the rust come from? The swingarm looks new. The shaft has oil on it and in great shape. The final drive has the usual leaking oil marks ... but the gearing and such are pristine.

I really don't think it was sitting outside. It was wrapped horribly, and I'm surprised that UPS delivered it. The shaft oil had leaked and was coming out of the SIDE of the box.

Any ideas?

The deal:


The bell upon removal (all that just wiped off to a pristine bell):


In the final drive (it got all the way in there ... but the final drive is sooth and free):


Down the final drive side of the swingarm (this too just wiped off):


And looking down the transmission side of the swingarm:
__________________
Fred <|> Need an Airhead Part? .... I May Have It!
'85 BMW R80RT G/Sified <|> '73 BMW R75/5 LWB <|> '94 MZ Silver Star Hack
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,611
ok....i confess. When I found out you had scored yet ANOTHER killer deal.....I got angry. contacted ups, and pooped in the box. it's my poop......our pipes are so rusty in Detroit...we poop rust.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
It'sNotTheBike
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
So ... to qualify for the bonus round ... where did the rust come from?


That's not rust, it is byproducts of decomposition of
old gear oil which looks like it was contaminated with
grease of questionable quality.


Quit worrying needlessly and use the parts. Life is short,
and worrying needlessly doesn't get you any extra time on
earth.



.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 07:57 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kai Ju's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
That's not rust, it is byproducts of decomposition of
old gear oil which looks like it was contaminated with
grease of questionable quality.


Quit worrying needlessly and use the parts. Life is short,
and worrying needlessly doesn't get you any extra time on
earth.



.
if anything it may give you less time.............

But just to let you worry some more, does the brown stuff stick to a magnet ?
If it doesn't it's not rust. If it does, follow It'sNotTheBike's advise............
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
So, I got this unbelievable deal (it gets more believable, trust me) on an '87 R80 Swingarm with shaft and the 37/11 final drive attached to it. I make it a habit to spend the first 15 minutes of my day surfing Craigs and Ebay to see any great deals. They really haven't been coming up lately, so I was a bit trigger happy.

Anyway, this thing came up and he listed it as $250 or best offer. So I send him a lowball best offer and logged off. The next morning I found out he accepted it. Watery Chaos, I tell you.

So ... a week later it arrives. The parts are in great shape ... the final drive is smooth, the shaft isn't notchy at all, and the swingarm bearings look to have less than 10K on them. Freakin' score. But ... When I take it apart everything is covered in an oily rust. It's not the metal that is rusting ... these are like rust flakes. I can wipe the flakes off the parts and the parts are not the source of the rust ...

So ... to qualify for the bonus round ... where did the rust come from? The swingarm looks new. The shaft has oil on it and in great shape. The final drive has the usual leaking oil marks ... but the gearing and such are pristine.

I really don't think it was sitting outside. It was wrapped horribly, and I'm surprised that UPS delivered it. The shaft oil had leaked and was coming out of the SIDE of the box.

Any ideas?

The deal:


The bell upon removal (all that just wiped off to a pristine bell):


In the final drive (it got all the way in there ... but the final drive is sooth and free):


Down the final drive side of the swingarm (this too just wiped off):


And looking down the transmission side of the swingarm:

Clean it up and use it. I would flush the bevel drive well and observe what comes out. Also I'd replace the boot.

You planning on a round the world trip on the thing in the next 30.000 miles? If it is gonna fail you have time to fix it then.

Craigslist is intended (according to them) for face to face deals. You do shipping on anything you have zero bitching right.. Someone mails me w/ a long distance deal and I delete them with the spammers and scammers.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid
 
bgoodsoil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Oddometer: 4,645
Quote:
.our pipes are so rusty in Detroit
Now we know who gets the bonus prize. That rust came from Detroit...and you got it all over you. eewwwwww!!!
__________________
'85 BMW r80G/S--Another G/S on the road--Central America on a Shoestring--Nova Scotia on a Shoestring--Never Leave a Man's Behind

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Beater OP
The Bavarian Butcher
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
That's not rust, it is byproducts of decomposition of
old gear oil which looks like it was contaminated with
grease of questionable quality.

Quit worrying needlessly and use the parts. Life is short,
and worrying needlessly doesn't get you any extra time on
earth..
It is this philosophy that has gotten me to where I am. I see no reason to change course.

Ride on good sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
ok....i confess. When I found out you had scored yet ANOTHER killer deal.....I got angry. contacted ups, and pooped in the box. it's my poop......our pipes are so rusty in Detroit...we poop rust.
I do have a pressure washer and I know where to stick it.
__________________
Fred <|> Need an Airhead Part? .... I May Have It!
'85 BMW R80RT G/Sified <|> '73 BMW R75/5 LWB <|> '94 MZ Silver Star Hack
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Stagehand
Imperfectionist
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 27,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
That's not rust, it is byproducts of decomposition of
old gear oil which looks like it was contaminated with
grease of questionable quality.


Quit worrying needlessly and use the parts. Life is short,
and worrying needlessly doesn't get you any extra time on
earth.



.

wise words of wisdom




nice pictures, though, Fred
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rob Farmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire. England
Oddometer: 5,886
$250 for a mono swinging arm and bevel box!!! is that what they fetch now? I gave one away last year because it was cluttering the place up. Should have known better.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Beater OP
The Bavarian Butcher
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
$250 for a mono swinging arm and bevel box!!! is that what they fetch now? I gave one away last year because it was cluttering the place up. Should have known better.
I paid far less than that ... This is a guess but I'll bet more Airheads were sold in Europe than the States. Especially the mono-levers. I won't say that parts are 'rare', but they're not exactly common either.

Next time you find any parts that are cluttering up your shop ... you let me know!

Over here we need 1000cc cylinders and pistons, heads, charging bits (the parts that fry), transmissions, final drives (especially the mono-levers), Exhaust headers ... Essentially all the parts that either wear out, or get consumed in a crash. The g/s parts are RARE. The GS parts are becoming more so.
__________________
Fred <|> Need an Airhead Part? .... I May Have It!
'85 BMW R80RT G/Sified <|> '73 BMW R75/5 LWB <|> '94 MZ Silver Star Hack
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015