Oddometer: 2,198
BMW plans retro bike?

I am moist with anticipation.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,286
I wish they would build one of these....but maybe with a rear suspension.

Zundapp KS800
They were a 4 cylinder boxer motor.

I believe they came out in the mid 30's but the German Military demand for motorcycles gobbeled up most of them and turned manufacturing prioroties towards military machines. Not too many of these around anymore. I've read they are pretty much a handful to ride. But the engines are smooth as silk.

I used to own this Zundapp 1953 KS601......but didn't have deep enough pockets to restore it. Parts are VERY difficult to obtain and are very expensive.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 08:08 AM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
WOW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
I wish they would build one of these....but maybe with a rear suspension.

Tell us something about it...

Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangoman View Post
WOW!!!

Tell us something about it...

Zundapp
Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
If they really want do go "retro" and pay homage to their origins, something like this would be a good start-

Leave it as a hardtail, and keep the other end similar to this one, improved only with updated materials and damping that works. No point in adding rear suspension, as these things will only be used for short rides, and why add a newer-flavored suspension that has more failure points than advantages?.

Keep it as a flattie too... they've got enough low-end grunt to make for a pleasant ride, and the way our gas is heading, the requiem low C/R might become an advantage.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
dinocarsfast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I like the idea but no way they will be able to satisfy the riders that like classic bikes because they are simple and cheap.
It will likely just be styling that makes it retro not as drastic as the new CB1100
dinocarsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
they should just make an airhead. Why not? Works for guzzi.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #23
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau View Post
Why not
Get the luddites to buy in...
If you say no due to Euro and emission standards then look to Ural.. They can do it.. Based on 1930's BMW and Zunny tech...

Gimme a flat airhead with 850 cc and shaft drive.. Tart it up any way you see fit..
Ill add it to the stable with the T100
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #24
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,343
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__6628

Looks to me like they're up to their ol' tricks to move on the last of the old models.

Traditionally they do this by announcing a "wonderful" new limited special edition characterised by a unique paint scheme and maybe a limited edition identifying badge. They might throw in another enticement, eg in the case of the US edn. LE '84 Motorsport they added a helmet to the deal.

The R100RS Motorsport 1978, Last Edition Motorsport 1984, R100RSR, JPS (in Oz), Outback R100, Serie 500 R100RS, R100LT mono, R1100S boxercup replika etc, etc. Other than the 78 the others all represent times of dwindling sales of models being phased out.

When they do this, it usually results in a beautiful machine, but not necessarily anything that's different under the skin.
Something else for next year...800GT

boxerboy81 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 05:11 AM
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
If they really want do go "retro" and pay homage to their origins, something like this would be a good start-

Leave it as a hardtail, and keep the other end similar to this one, improved only with updated materials and damping that works. No point in adding rear suspension, as these things will only be used for short rides, and why add a newer-flavored suspension that has more failure points than advantages?.

Keep it as a flattie too... they've got enough low-end grunt to make for a pleasant ride, and the way our gas is heading, the requiem low C/R might become an advantage.
I'm sure they'll sell all 12 they build and have to market at $500,000 to cover development. You really think anyone is going to buy a hardtail?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau View Post
Because nobody is going to spend $10K for that bike.

There are bikes we'd like to own because we're vintage people. But there's a reason they stopped selling those old bikes. Technology moved ahead, a more reliable bike appeared, or a lower cost bike arrived.

In 1993, I went and looked at a K75S with bags. It was, back then, a $10K bike when I could buy a new Honda VFR for half as much. Yeah, the Kbike is a great bike, but the VFR had it outgunned in virtually every measurement of comparison.

Old bikes are just that: old bikes. When I was in college in the 70s, I had friends that were pissed because UK, INC. wasn't making bikes anymore. You know why? Market forces crushed them. Making old bikes now to satisfy some niche is the realm of small production teams like Dreer, but not in the best interests of manufacturers like BMW or Honda. In this market, they simply can't afford to build bikes that aren't going to be a mass market success. It just costs too much to bring a bike to market to gamble on a potential loser.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #27
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,343
And that's why they market the "special" models 'cause they want to get rid of the last of their stuff as they're already the "old" models.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,041
BMW is a progressive company, plain and simple. They will continue to push forward in technology and innovation and not look back. When their sales were almost isolated to the 50+ age range, they simply innovated and built the fastest production bike in existence and sold it at a price point that would attract a younger audience.

For BMW to actually manufacture another airhead they would need to completely retool or redesign current manufacturing processes and machinery. That's a massive investment to gamble on whether or not a vintage re-make would sell.

What's easier? Shoving the current generation engine into another chassis and calling a "vintage inspired" bike.

I don't think BMW is about to strike up a deal with Bing or any other carb manufacturer to power an airhead either. Isn't it US law that post 2013 motorcyles are supposed to be fuel injected anyways? That's probably just california (isn't it always) though.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #29
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,893
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #30
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
I like the way you think, but I would want it to be more like this one. I would line up weeks in advance to throw my money at BMW for this bike!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote