Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
Looks sharp. I wonder why they changed the manifold to chrome instead of the titanium colored ones? They would've matched much better. I'd pay extra for a Rallye GSA, but not this one, with no fog lights. Sadly, I'm sure BMW will have no problem selling these. There's always a schmuck willing to pay extra for some kind of anniversary edition gizmo.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
RetrogradE OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Looks sharp. I wonder why they changed the manifold to chrome instead of the titanium colored ones? They would've matched much better. I'd pay extra for a Rallye GSA, but not this one, with no fog lights. Sadly, I'm sure BMW will have no problem selling these. There's always a schmuck willing to pay extra for some kind of anniversary edition gizmo.

No, they'll sell them. Rallye Edition, Triple Black, 90th Anniversary, Papal Conclave Edition w bullet proof windscreen, Harley Tribute Edition w free drip-pan, and possible Charley Borman Edition with a built-in box of tampons.
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
EZGlider
Seeker

Oddometer: 151
Parts Clearance

BMW stopped production on the oil-cooled Adventure bikes/engines in October (possibly late September). The "90th" is simply the same thing they did with the '05 GSA - 1150 instead of 1200, with fancy "commemortive" paint. Not certain, but I believe BMW is moving toward LED auxiallry lights - that may explain why none are on this special "hurry and get one now, before you want a liquid-cooled GS that you'll inevitably pine for when your friends buy theirs" model.

Not trying to be negative (I actually believe the oil-cooled platform is at, or near, its pinnacle and just bought one of the last 2013 Triple Black GSAs), but BMW's marketing strategy is obvously "gin up" interest while charging a premium, instead of just honestly liquidating (okay, pun intended) the oil-cooled generation they are making obsolete.

Just my .02...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #19
Sltx1050
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Called my dealer about this yesterday. Will be available around June here in Colo and will cost $2000 more than standard GSA. Only difference is paint scheme and commemorative plaque. ???
Seriously we have one coming to our shop and its only $450 more than a standard and $200 more than the triple black
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #20
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGlider View Post
BMW stopped production on the oil-cooled Adventure bikes/engines in October (possibly late September).
Just my .02...
I'm sure BMW is still making R1200 motors, since the GS will be the only water-cooled boxer model available in 2013.

What about GSA, RT and Rs?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
duct tape
Lost

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltx1050 View Post
Seriously we have one coming to our shop and its only $450 more than a standard and $200 more than the triple black
Can you post a number or name of shop? My shop in Colorado Springs gave me the info I posted. I'm interested in this color scheme and would like to have some more info to take back to them.

Thx.

Trails Preservation Alliance www.coloradotpa.org
Colorado OHV Coalition www.cohvco.org
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #22
EZGlider
Seeker

Oddometer: 151
R1200 Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
I'm sure BMW is still making R1200 motors, since the GS will be the only water-cooled boxer model available in 2013.

What about GSA, RT and Rs?
The R1200 motors are done. All "R" lines are being re-tooled for the liquid-cooled. Try and order one...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #23
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
The R1200 motors are done. All "R" lines are being re-tooled for the liquid-cooled. Try and order one...
Can order anything other than a GS. This is from Military Sales in Germany (US spec bikes) dealer confirmed w/ Müchen.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #24
SwissFreek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I like it. I don't like it enough to pay more for it, but I think the bronze or gold or whatever it is, and the "Olive Gray" accents give it some color contrast that adds to the visual appeal of the bike, for me, and which the Red and Triple Black lack. And I didn't notice the aux lights were missing until someone pointed it out, but I think that's another subtle point that gives the bike a cleaner look that I couldn't put my finger on, but that I like.

But, again, not worth $2k to me. $450? Eh... still probably not.
SwissFreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #25
duct tape
Lost

After reading above info I called BMW of Denver. They said the upgrade charge is $399. So I called back to my local dealer with this info. This time they couldn't give me a number but said the original quote may have included a different "package". I'll be heading down in a few days to try to nail down specifics. Still a lot just for a color scheme but may be worth it if you really like it.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #26
duct tape
Lost

Quote:
This is incorrect. The 90th edition GSA doesn't even come out until next spring. Still the air cooled bike. Plus you can order whatever GSA you want right now from the two Colorado dealers I called. Didn't ask about the GS. Maybe they're not making any more motors but they seem to have plenty in stock.

duct tape screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 04:45 PM
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
I was hoping for a let edition, not another anniversary edition.

How about a GSA Rallye with red frame, orange seat and red/drk blue/lt blue stripes on a white tank?
Sounds like the VW Golf Art model,

SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
duct tape
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
After reading above info I called BMW of Denver. They said the upgrade charge is $399. So I called back to my local dealer with this info. This time they couldn't give me a number but said the original quote may have included a different "package". I'll be heading down in a few days to try to nail down specifics. Still a lot just for a color scheme but may be worth it if you really like it.
Just visited my local dealer who confirmed the upgrade would be $399, same as in Denver. Previous $2000 was quoted by mistake referring to another upgrade package. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
BMW stopped production on the oil-cooled Adventure bikes/engines in October (possibly late September). The "90th" is simply the same thing they did with the '05 GSA - 1150 instead of 1200, with fancy "commemortive" paint. Not certain, but I believe BMW is moving toward LED auxiallry lights - that may explain why none are on this special "hurry and get one now, before you want a liquid-cooled GS that you'll inevitably pine for when your friends buy theirs" model.

Not trying to be negative (I actually believe the oil-cooled platform is at, or near, its pinnacle and just bought one of the last 2013 Triple Black GSAs), but BMW's marketing strategy is obvously "gin up" interest while charging a premium, instead of just honestly liquidating (okay, pun intended) the oil-cooled generation they are making obsolete.

Just my .02...
Wrong. The regular 12GS has ceased production, but the GSA, R1200R, and RT are still around, and will be for at least another year.
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #30
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
I gave some thought about paying extra for the colors...

I'd have had no trouble paying the same as tripple black... but this is a couple hundered more...

I was about to go for the grey (no extra cost one), when I occured to me that as per a previous poster's comments.. "there's always someone willing to pay extra for an aniversary edition".... decided it was worth it.

It's not as if I'm trading in a perfectly good bike for this.. I've been between bikes since September.

I'll be getting it in a couple weeks... (I'm in The Netherlands)

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote