Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #31
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I like this idea although you can only pull so much current through one of the battery tender cables/fuse.

I used 10ga wire for mine, with a 75A breaker wired in on the bike side dit terminates in a SAE plug. I then took another SAE plug, added about 5' of 10G wire and alligator clips. Might add another 5' to it so I can get jumped off by a car.

Jnich77 screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 09:20 AM
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #32
AMSBIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Jump start battery.

I've had this very problem last year, left the ignition on while I put the tent up. Doh!!!!! Well i had been riding solid for 12 hours and did 4 countries...With the GTR1400 fully loaded theres no bloody way I can bump start it on my own. Difficult to bump start if your on grass at the end of a field where I was anyway. The battery on the GTR is buried deep inside the bike and a real bugger to get to.

I bought one of these last year and they are fantastic. Can also be used to charge iPhone, iPad or whatever because of the cigarette lighter socket connector. If I use it I plug it into the bike with the cigarette attachment and it recharges during the ride to the next location. ( Sits in the tank bag) Highly recommended and cheap as chips.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-CAR-EN...item3ccba13e2f

AB

AMSBIKER screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 11:48 AM
AMSBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I like this idea although you can only pull so much current through one of the battery tender cables/fuse.
I believe my battery tender comes with a 7.5 a fuse. I'd be willing to pop a 30 a fuse in there for 2 seconds to pop the bike over. The fuse is just there to protect the wiring. I'm pretty sure those cables are fairly stout

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
[QUOTE=sailah;20046472]If you have two bikes, tire to tire on the center stands...[/QUOTE

I envision a humorous Utube video here. Be sure to have someone hold the beer.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSBIKER View Post
I've had this very problem last year, left the ignition on while I put the tent up. Doh!!!!! Well i had been riding solid for 12 hours and did 4 countries...With the GTR1400 fully loaded theres no bloody way I can bump start it on my own. Difficult to bump start if your on grass at the end of a field where I was anyway. The battery on the GTR is buried deep inside the bike and a real bugger to get to.

I bought one of these last year and they are fantastic. Can also be used to charge iPhone, iPad or whatever because of the cigarette lighter socket connector. If I use it I plug it into the bike with the cigarette attachment and it recharges during the ride to the next location. ( Sits in the tank bag) Highly recommended and cheap as chips.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-CAR-EN...item3ccba13e2f

AB
But have you actually used it to start your bike when the battery was really dead? It has a 1.3Ah battery, which sure doesn't seem like much to turn over a dead fuel-injected GS.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #36
StuartV
Motorcyclist

ps. the battery in my cell phone holds more juice than that (1800mAh = 1.8Ah).
Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #37
StuartV
Motorcyclist

pps. Okay, at 12V that thing might be a little bit bigger battery than my cell phone, which is probably 7.2V or something. But, still, you get my point.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #38
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
But have you actually used it to start your bike when the battery was really dead? It has a 1.3Ah battery, which sure doesn't seem like much to turn over a dead fuel-injected GS.
They assume that the main battery is still good, just a little over discharged. They are intended to just slowly put some charge back into the main battery. Then you start the car/bike using current from the main battery.

So they are great if you just left the key turned on a little too long. Much else, and you are out of luck.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
[QUOTE=ragtoplvr;20051868]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
If you have two bikes, tire to tire on the center stands...[/QUOTE

I envision a humorous Utube video here. Be sure to have someone hold the beer.

Rod
Here you go.

1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #40
b3nji OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
They assume that the main battery is still good, just a little over discharged. They are intended to just slowly put some charge back into the main battery. Then you start the car/bike using current from the main battery.

So they are great if you just left the key turned on a little too long. Much else, and you are out of luck.
Pardon my ignorance but how do you recharge a motorcycle battery with this? I suppose I would need some sort of cigarette lighter adapter. Do you simply connect the jump starter to the battery then?
b3nji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #41
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
1.3 Ah sounds small to me also. But let's look at the math for 40 Cold Cranking Amps. (I can switch batteries between 3 of my bikes, all 14Ah delivering 35 to 40 cca.)

At 40 amp draw, a 1.3Ah battery should last 1.95 minutes. If that was lead-acid, the voltage would drop significantly before the end, but a lithium or even nickel battery will provide more voltage longer (then die quickly).

But if the battery can deliver 35 to 40cca, the starter actually draws far less in normal use.

Grinnin screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 04:27 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #42
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
1.3 Ah sounds small to me also. But let's look at the math for 40 Cold Cranking Amps. (I can switch batteries between 3 of my bikes, all 14Ah delivering 35 to 40 cca.)

At 40 amp draw, a 1.3Ah battery should last 1.95 minutes. If that was lead-acid, the voltage would drop significantly before the end, but a lithium or even nickel battery will provide more voltage longer (then die quickly).

But if the battery can deliver 35 to 40cca, the starter actually draws far less in normal use.
On my bikes the starter solenoid alone pulls over 20 amps inrush. The starter motor pulls over 200 amps inrush. They drop down to about 75 amps when cranking.

About 1 minute at 1.3 Ah. Should be fine if everything is good to start.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #43
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Isn't that point kind of moot? The idea that that little battery pack could deliver 20 amps (let alone 40) is a bit of a fantasy, don't you think?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #44
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Isn't that point kind of moot? The idea that that little battery pack could deliver 20 amps (let alone 40) is a bit of a fantasy, don't you think?

Think??? no it is a joke, there is no way that thing will do crap, it might run the instrument lights for 5 seconds.

In the scenario the OP said he used it, he ran the battery low due to leaving the light on. What really happened is his battery was in good shape so it recovered after the draw was stopped, enough to fire the bike later.

I have done the same thing a couple times, just shut everything down and be patient, give it 10 to 20 minutes, as extra insurance if a hill is around, a bump start simultaneous with flipping the key on and hitting the starter has got me rolling a couple times.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #45
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
I carry some homemade jumper cables, 10 ga wire with alligator clips solder to the ends. They lay flat in the bottom of a bag and out of the way.
Never have needed them yet...karma
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is online now   Reply With Quote