Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
Yeah, Harleys suck, I guess that's how/why they out sell all other brands combined in the USA.
Not true, look it up.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #32
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchxout View Post
Not true, look it up.

Last I checked the MoCo was about 54%

Has this changed much?

Harley Davidson announces a 73.5% increase in income in year-ago comparisons, totaling $119.3 million for the first quarter of 2011.[3] Increases in income were driven by a 1.5% increase in revenue, totaling $1.22 billion for Q1 FY 2011.[3] Similarly, retail sales increased by 3.5% for the quarter when compared to the previous year, with the majority of increased sales coming from Europe.[3] International sales overall increased by 11.3% with European sales increasing by 22.7%.[3] Harley Davidson's market share decreased by 1.9% to 53.4% for the quarter.[3] Total revenue from motorcycle sales increased by 2.5%, totaling $1.1 billion.[3]
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #33
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
The annual U.S. motorcycle market is estimated at $18 billion. Harley-Davidson has a 47% share in the on-road motorcycle market.

I think the 54% is Harley's share of the heavyweight motorcycle sales.

Anyway, Harley is doing very well in the USA and worldwide in heavyweight motorcycles.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #34
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
People that ride buy them.

And then they ride them.
Where? I never see 'em anymore. I see TC's and Rubber mounts but nothing older. An Evo is a rare sight these days.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #35
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
Yeah, Harleys suck, I guess that's how/why they out sell all other brands combined in the USA.
McDonald's sells more hamburgers, and Obama was elected again, what's your point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #36
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The lifespan of any chain is far less than any other part in an engine. Most engines that have non replaceable cam chains fail from cam chain failure. My Yamaha XT225 has a chain driven cam, but the chain can be replaced without tearing the engine apart. I have replaced mine once already, at around 20,000 miles. Will probably replace it again at 40,000 miles. I definitely found wear in the old chain compared to the new one. Back before gear drives, I used to replace the timing chains in all my car/truck engines that had them every 50,000 miles or so, and I always found wear. Most automotive engines with chain driven cams also usually fail due to either a broken chain or a chain/sprockets so badly worn that the chain jumped teeth. One good thing about an OHC car engine is it is usually belt driven, and the belts are considered a maintenance item, and are easily replaced. As far as I am concerned, ANY chain is considered a maintenance item, but on most modern motorcycle engines, you have to split the cases to replace them. I still remember when cam chains could be replaced just by pulling the valve/cam cover, because they had a master link. Most drive chains used to have master links too. I don't remember there being any problems with them. Old chains didn't last long on high power bikes, but that was due to poor quality materials and poor manufacturing tolerances. The master links didn't break.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #37
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Since this thread was a disaster from the start I am going to go ahead and say it, I am going to put a Ford 300 six cylinder in my Road Glide. They have gears instead of chains and you can fill them with sand and they will still go 400,000 miles. I would have went with the 22re in it but I need torque!

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #38
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The lifespan of any chain is far less than any other part in an engine..

Funny. When I use to race cars I never had any cam chain issues. It has been my experience that I can get an engine to drop a valve ,burn a hole in a piston or puke a rod out of the side of the block well before any chain problems.

On a side note my truck has 200k miles on it. Stock cam chain with no measurable wear. The engine in my car has nearly 70k miles on the clock ,produces nearly 400whp (with 2 liters of displacement ) and also has no measurable wear on the cam chain. What I see from your posts is more an issue of you believing that when a small segment of a given object/thing/etc has problems, that means that all like objects/thing/etc will have problems. It simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny when logic is applied. It's kind of like when people say Pit Bulls will "snap" or that Blacks/Hispanics are criminals just because they can find some obscure number that backs up their ignorant view. It's just dumb dumb talk that is perpetuated by fear and a lack of ability to properly analyze information.

Yes....I went there.....This thread is now firmly in the toilet. You are welcome.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #39
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
McDonald's sells more hamburgers, and Obama was elected again, what's your point?
I think he was saying how hideous Victory Motorcycles are.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #40
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
Since this thread was a disaster from the start I am going to go ahead and say it, I am going to put a Ford 300 six cylinder in my Road Glide. I would have went with the 22re in it but I need torque!
Shouldn't you go with a TDI, it has a million torques.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #41
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Shouldn't you go with a TDI, it has a million torques.

The redneck that lives two doors down still has to stand on his chipped and piped powerstroke to get it to move.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #42
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Where? I never see 'em anymore. I see TC's and Rubber mounts but nothing older. An Evo is a rare sight these days.
They belong to poor people who don't ride. They sit around and develop carb problems, won't crank, and then become the "I got a Harley" in the garage that never sees light.
Or they get eBayed the way all the Buells are.
Used to see a ton of 750fours around, and now they're the same place. In some guy's basement, or sold one piece at a time online.

I always have my ear to the ground for a Honda four. I used to have my pick. Same for evo sportys. Not so much any more.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #43
ian03xl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
They belong to poor people who don't ride. They sit around and develop carb problems, won't crank, and then become the "I got a Harley" in the garage that never sees light.
Or they get eBayed the way all the Buells are.
Used to see a ton of 750fours around, and now they're the same place. In some guy's basement, or sold one piece at a time online.

I always have my ear to the ground for a Honda four. I used to have my pick. Same for evo sportys. Not so much any more.
I happen to have a solid mount evo sporty (03) and a evo dyna (97) and ride the wheels off both of them I had a buell too but it went to an early grave. Btw I'm also "poor" but do my best to provide for my family and if I have to sacrifice some riding to make that happen then that's what I'll do. I don't have a harley to say "I got a harley" I have them to ride as a "poor" person I have no need for something that I can't/don't use it's an extra expense that I can't afford.

I guess I took a little offense to your comment I probably shouldn't have I'm sure you meant no harm it's just your perception.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #44
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I think he was saying how hideous Victory Motorcycles are.
The Vision is sweet though.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #45
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
The Vision is sweet though.
Like limburger cheese.