Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Martynho OP
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 391
Unstable idling

My 2010 990R is trying to kill me!

I recently had a severe oil leak problem, so had new piston rings, valve guides and seals, plus new balancer shaft seal fitted. That seems to have sorted that problem out

Now though it just wont idle properly. Sometimes ok at about 1400rpm, then sits at 2000rpm or so with occasional blips up to 4000 or even 5000rpm, as you can imagine this is NOT nice in the middle of a corner.

I have done the 15 min idle from cold, no joy. Took it to the shop, got the error codes cleared then 15 min idel again.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this and how to cure it

Thanks
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
throttle bodies not seated in the rubber boots correctly....

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
main TPS needs checking
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
throttle bodies not seated in the rubber boots correctly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
main TPS needs checking
Yep, check both of these things. Those throttle bodies can be a little tricky to re-seat correctly when you remove them for a valve check, you need to take some care in doing that. Any little air leak will cause the problems you describe.

FWIW, I wouldnt trust the guys in the Santiago shop. If you remember, when I was there, they had some not so knowledgeable guys working on the bikes. I was not exactly happy with the way they handled my 990. Mate, try to do your own work if you have the time. It will be a learning curve and a lot slower, but no one takes as much care in maintaining your bike as you would.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Martynho OP
ChileGringo

Tps?

Thanks Vin, TPS ? Throttle position sensor? How do you check this or reset it?

Hear ya on the Santiago KTM shop. They have just moved to a swishy emporium just down the road from my house, however other than purchasing spares etc I have not darkened their doorstep for a long time. I use an independent guy called Claudi Nilo who is a legend here, he is also a 990 rider and a friend. Sort of guy who is contracted by Chile's ISDE team as well as various Dakar team. Nontheless he is not perfect and any suggestion helps so thanks all for chiming in.

He called me last night and said he had disassembled and found nothring untowards, replaced "injector pumps" or at least that what I thought he said.

Got it together then the key had been blocked Going down this morning with the spare key, keeping my fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Yep, check both of these things. Those throttle bodies can be a little tricky to re-seat correctly when you remove them for a valve check, you need to take some care in doing that. Any little air leak will cause the problems you describe.

FWIW, I wouldnt trust the guys in the Santiago shop. If you remember, when I was there, they had some not so knowledgeable guys working on the bikes. I was not exactly happy with the way they handled my 990. Mate, try to do your own work if you have the time. It will be a learning curve and a lot slower, but no one takes as much care in maintaining your bike as you would.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
Martynho OP
ChileGringo

?

Anything to do with TP Vin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
Thanks Vin, TPS ? Throttle position sensor? How do you check this or reset it?

Hear ya on the Santiago KTM shop. They have just moved to a swishy emporium just down the road from my house, however other than purchasing spares etc I have not darkened their doorstep for a long time. I use an independent guy called Claudi Nilo who is a legend here, he is also a 990 rider and a friend. Sort of guy who is contracted by Chile's ISDE team as well as various Dakar team. Nontheless he is not perfect and any suggestion helps so thanks all for chiming in.

He called me last night and said he had disassembled and found nothring untowards, replaced "injector pumps" or at least that what I thought he said.

Got it together then the key had been blocked Going down this morning with the spare key, keeping my fingers crossed