User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 786
Question Corbin Gunfighter solo

Does anyone have any information on the long term use of a Corbin gunfighter solo? I am toying with the idea, turn my /5 into a retro/stock/poser - just kind of like the look; and it is MY /5 -

rudolf35 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 06:53 AM
rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Geeto67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
This is kind of a loaded question because corbin has evolved thier seats and the materials over the last 30 years. My father has a gunfighter solo he bought new in 1986 for his 1986 ninja zx1000A1, and it is still on the bike and in excellent shape and super comfortable.

I had a corbin solo gunfighter made for my 1979 CB750F in 2005, a bike my brother now owns but I still ride from time to time (actually riding it this week because he is on set and the bike needed an inspection so I agreed to get it for him). That seat is harder, mostly because it is a gel seat instead of standard foam, but still comfortable - just comfortable in a different way.

I have a corbin dual gunfighter on the R80 and it is an older seat and more like the ninja's than the cb750F's because it is foam and not gel. The only complaint I have is, if possible get your corbin in all leather. The Ninja's seat (and remember it is over 20 years old), is part vinyl and part leather and while the leather parts have held up great, the vinyl sections have become a little hard and bittle and cracked in a few spots.

If you get a chance, sit on a corbin (on any bike) for at least 10 minutes (if you can't take one for a ride). The seat is not for everyone. I have heard many people tell me the one on the '79 750F is either the hardest most uncomfortable seat possible, or the most comfortable seat they ever sat on. It all depends on your ass. Personally I love them, but not everyone does.
Geeto67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Geeto67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
just to make this thread interesting here are some pics:

corbin gunfighter solo for 1979 CB750F:

you can see it mounted in the background of this pic:

A litte tip I can give you - if you are going to do a color other than black, have the paint matched to the seat and not the other way around.

1986 R80RT with Corbin dual gunfighter:

Geeto67 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 01:14 PM
Geeto67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
If you get a chance, sit on a corbin (on any bike) for at least 10 minutes (if you can't take one for a ride). The seat is not for everyone.
Geeto67 all I have to do is move over to the XR and test a Corbin, LOL! Thank you for the information about the gell v.s. the foam. This will be a foam seat with ALL leather, thank you for that heads up to.

I started riding on Moto-Guzzi and their seats are hard as a rock, I love it, so the move to Corbin was easy. I was just wondering how the Corbin Gunfighter is executed on a /5 SWB. Some designs translate between motorbike marks and some do not.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
erimille
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
Geeto67 all I have to do is move over to the XR and test a Corbin, LOL! Thank you for the information about the gell v.s. the foam. This will be a foam seat with ALL leather, thank you for that heads up to.

I started riding on Moto-Guzzi and their seats are hard as a rock, I love it, so the move to Corbin was easy. I was just wondering how the Corbin Gunfighter is executed on a /5 SWB. Some designs translate between motorbike marks and some do not.
I hated mine when I first got it. Correction... I loved the look, but hated the seat.

Several folks have commented how you need to give this seat some time to break in. After about 1K+ miles, I'm not certain it has broken in, or I have simply become accustom to it, but I have no desire now to switch to anything else.

I now love the look and like the seat.

caveat - i'm medium build, and have no ass. ;) if you can, try one before you buy one.

--e

erimille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Thumb

erimille that is what I needed, a good picture and use of a Gunfighter.

I have had several Corbin seats through the years and each and everyone of them needed a "break in" time. Between the Moto-Guzzi seats and Corbin I have come to like harder seats. I know that stands in contrast to most H-D users but each person to their own. For me the support of a harder seat gives me more miles between stops and it just flat out feels better than a pillow. By the way erimille, nice airhead! I am going to go for the same look on my R50/5.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
erimille
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
erimille that is what I needed, a good picture and use of a Gunfighter.
excellent. glad this helped.

Quote:
I have had several Corbin seats through the years and each and everyone of them needed a "break in" time. Between the Moto-Guzzi seats and Corbin I have come to like harder seats. I know that stands in contrast to most H-D users but each person to their own. For me the support of a harder seat gives me more miles between stops and it just flat out feels better than a pillow.
Agreed.

Quote:
By the way erimille, nice airhead! I am going to go for the same look on my R50/5.
i like the way you think ;) pictures when you're done please!

--e
erimille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I could not possibly hate Corbin seats more, absolute junk, and terribly uncomfortable! I have sat on dozens, on all kinds of bikes, never saw a good one. Incredibly heavy, poor fit, they are always lower than stock, and move the rider WAY back on the bike.

Just my 2C