User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
resqd1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
KTM 530 Computer (hours correct)

Ok so I am in the market for a 530, is there any true way of knowing if the hours and miles on the computer are the true actual hours and miles on the bike? Is there a way to tamper with them at all? I have found bikes for sale with less than 40 hours on them that are four years old, and it makes me wonder if they are really not that low in hours. Enlighten me :)
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
Ok so I am in the market for a 530, is there any true way of knowing if the hours and miles on the computer are the true actual hours and miles on the bike? Is there a way to tamper with them at all? I have found bikes for sale with less than 40 hours on them that are four years old, and it makes me wonder if they are really not that low in hours. Enlighten me :)
One could always buy a new computer for that 'new bike feeling' I suppose. It's not uncommon for someone to buy a bike, and then not really use it. I think there will always be low hour/ mile bikes as people buy them as toys, or their buddy buys one, so they need one too, but just aren't into it. I have come across a lot of bikes that have been garage (or all weather) queens. I picked up a 5 year old Vespa this summer for a friend of mine, and it had 200 km on the clock. I put 40km on it just taking the long way through town to her house.

You should generally be able to tell a 40 hour bike from a 200 hour bike. If at 40 hours it looks rough, I would walk away anyway, regardless of what the meter says.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
resqd1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Ok good point, so looking at wear from boot marks and such could be an indicator, but there is no "internal computer" or anything that you can plug into in order to get the exact numbers? I know with outboard motors on Bass Boats you can plug them in and get exact info from the internal computer, wasnt sure if there was something like that on the ktm's.
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
Ok good point, so looking at wear from boot marks and such could be an indicator, but there is no "internal computer" or anything that you can plug into in order to get the exact numbers? I know with outboard motors on Bass Boats you can plug them in and get exact info from the internal computer, wasnt sure if there was something like that on the ktm's.
No there isn't, like on 99% of other bikes.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
just give the bike a good look over and see if the wear ect looks good for the number of miles. people could just unplug or tske off the speedo and then refit when they sell them.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,041
Gear lever and foot pegs are the easiest way of telling if she's got a lot of hours ,
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote