User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
Rick Dee OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
F700GS Safety package

Hi, I'm going to buy a F700GS next week and I hesitate whether I take the safety package, which includes the Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA), Anti Spin Control (ASC) and display tire pressure. All for $ 850. Has anyone tried the ESA? Is it worth it?

I plan to do 70% road and 30% soft trails.

This is my first bike...
Rick Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
I have an F800GS and I like the ESA; it's nice to be able to set the suspension stiffer for trails and softer for highway. I haven't yet been in a situation where the ASC came into play, and the F800GS has tube tires so no tire pressure monitor.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
It's a really nice feature if you don't ever intend to replace your rear shock. If I am on any kind of dirt or gravel I turn the ASC off, but I can see where it would help if you hit some sand in a corner on pavement.

Just make sure if you are planning on doing a quick launch to turn it off as it will kick in if it sees any front wheel lift.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,668
For what its worth, I have a riding buddy that has a Yamaha Tenere with traction control, and it's almost like he's cheating when the trail gets to a slippery hill.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
I'd like to ride a bike with ASC ... but never have, so can't comment...
If I understand correctly the ESA just adjusts your rebound damping for you (not preload), which is nice but I don't find much need to dink with mine.

I really wished I had been able to the the Tire Pressure monitoring on my bike when it was new F650GS twin (the tubeless precursor to the F700GS), and still think the integrated pressure display with warning of pressure loss would be cool, but I have since found out that sender units that mount inside the tires are not "user serviceable" and are supposed to be replaced when the batteries die after 3 - 5 years at cost of about $125 each plus labor - the dealer will have to tell the bike computer to go find the replacement sensors ... so figure ... maybe 30 minutes extra shop time at the next tire replacement after they die?
Kind of a hassle...

There's a thread here where another inmate is going to attempt battery replacement on his own, but so far I don't think the results are in...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
ccooper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I skipped out on both ASC and ESA on the new f800gs I have ordered. I am a simple, old-school dirt bike guy that loves simplicity but wanted my 1st BMW, so I ordered just the base model with only the center stand (no racks, OBC or heated grips). Saved some dough in the process. I'm also not the type that will "farkle" the bike up much...so YMMV. Only a skid plate, rear luggage rack and maybe engine crash bars for me.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
I had an F700 for a loaner bike when my 800 was being serviced a couple weeks ago - of course I had to play with all its options. Our London roads rival the roads of a third world dictatorship and I can say moving the ESA from comfort to sport made a tangible difference - in comfort mode bumps were firmly absorbed and in sport mode they went straight through to the spine. Normal mode was sort of in the middle, leaning more towards the comfort mode.

My 800 is a 2012 but if I was buying it this year I would have definitely splurged for the ESA, also because I commute with a pillion so go from normal to heavy weight constantly. Obviously didn't have a play with the ASC as I didn't want to push the limits of traction on tarmac with someone else's bike (or my own for that matter) but I suspect it gives the same cutting-out feeling every other system does.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

The only thing that sucks about the ESA option is shock replacement. I am not sure if Touratech's new suspension line is going to eventually accomodate ESA models so I may just have wasted the money on the option when it's time to upgrade.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Rick Dee OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate. I ordered my F700GS with the Safety package today.

Can't wait!!!
Rick Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Show us a pic when you get it!