ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #46
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post
Not exactly riding, but pictures from August. I walked the whole planned mileage for this year in under an hour.

Good outing for a GS. Ride up on Highway 2, take a couple mile dirt spin, ride home. Prolly won't even get the fenders muddy. Well, the entrance road of three or four miles of gravel will spray some mud on you.
Howdy WetSideRider,

I stopped riding and Jeeping at Rieter over ten years ago when they started to shut it down by blocking trails and shutting down the river crossings etc. The photo you posted are these the new "riding trails" or are they walking paths?

If these are representative of the new riding trails what a sorry lot we have become, whats next a starbucks at every trail junction complete with wifi.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #47
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
And when everyone sits back and complains that the game is rigged, there is only one group left sitting at the table.

In one breath, people want to affect change and ride an area (like Reiter), on the other, they can't have a grown up discussion with a guy like Matloik without calling him an idiot, essentially.

If the attitudes expressed in these threads are a reflection of the riding community in WA, it is little wonder OHV riding has such a quiet voice in Washington - the vocal ambassadors for OHV areas are a piss poor representation of riders, IMO.
I have advocated MANY times for action to be done, no one has the BALLS to join me. I'm not going to do anything good by a one-man protest ride at the old Reiter, so I sit on my hands
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #48
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy WetSideRider,

...are these the new "riding trails" or are they walking paths?
These are riding trails.

Started looking like this

The objective is to avoid erosion situations like Currant Pass trail at Walker.

There is no doubt in my mind that these trails, short as they are, are made to take some abuse.
WetSideRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #49
Mr. Cob

Quote:
These are riding trails.

Started looking like this

The objective is to avoid erosion situations like Currant Pass trail at Walker.

There is no doubt in my mind that these trails, short as they are, are made to take some abuse.
Howdy WetSideRider,

I am glad I am as old as I am, what folks are soon to call "trail riding" us old guys would refer to as curb lined manicured nanny state gia friendly out doors experiences, providing you pay the proper fees or rather TAXES.

This brave new world, is nothing I wish to participate in, I am glad I have had a chance to LIVE and experience real trail riding before it was taken away, the saddest thing about this whole mess is the young will grow up never having known what was, only what is.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #50
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,087
Ah, well. I'm sure the vast majority of the young really don't much care about real trail riding. I've got two grandsons 16 and 18 that I love dearly, neither one even wants a driver's license. The sixteen year old doesn't use the gearshift on his mountain bike at all, he doesn't grasp the concept.

But, he can write game software and I can't use a smartphone. the difference is probably small. He doesn't give a shit about motors and mountain bike shifters and I don't give a shit about gaming software. It's all good.

Just to balance things out, I have a granddaughter who would prolly jump a bike off a garage roof just to see if she can. Her mom would probably strangle me if I show up at her house with little Oset trials bike. I'm still tempted to risk it.

Sad truth is, there's just too damn many of us (liberal AND conservative), especially here in Puget Sound. Trail riding takes space, and there's not much left of that on the wetside that doesn't belong to some liability wary landowner. Our ancestors gave a bunch of it to the robber baron railroads in return for future prosperity. I think the trade worked out OK.

Oregonians please note there is a doggie in one of my earlier pictures. That's Dundee. He likes trials riding, but it bores him because it is slow and I fall off all the time.
WetSideRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #51
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Ah, well. I'm sure the vast majority of the young really don't much care about real trail riding. I've got two grandsons 16 and 18 that I love dearly, neither one even wants a driver's license. The sixteen year old doesn't use the gearshift on his mountain bike at all, he doesn't grasp the concept.

But, he can write game software and I can't use a smartphone. the difference is probably small. He doesn't give a shit about motors and mountain bike shifters and I don't give a shit about gaming software. It's all good.

Just to balance things out, I have a granddaughter who would prolly jump a bike off a garage roof just to see if she can. Her mom would probably strangle me if I show up at her house with little Oset trials bike. I'm still tempted to risk it.

Sad truth is, there's just too damn many of us (liberal AND conservative), especially here in Puget Sound. Trail riding takes space, and there's not much left of that on the wetside that doesn't belong to some liability wary landowner. Our ancestors gave a bunch of it to the robber baron railroads in return for future prosperity. I think the trade worked out OK.

Oregonians please note there is a doggie in one of my earlier pictures. That's Dundee. He likes trials riding, but it bores him because it is slow and I fall off all the time.
Howdy WetSideRider,

I can relate to what your saying, my son now in his early 40's never had ANY interest in anything mechanical, still doesn't have a drivers license and thinks riding the bus is great. I love him but I don't understand him.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #52
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
If you owned, say 10,000 acres. Would you let the public use it? A fair case of the few spoiling it for the many?
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #53
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,306
A guess the real question is would you trust the state to manage it?

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #54
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquanout View Post
If you owned, say 10,000 acres. Would you let the public use it? A fair case of the few spoiling it for the many?
Howdy Aquanout,

PLEASE don't take this post personally, I am simply using your post as a spring board for this mini rant.

In todays litigious society any land owner who allowed other people to use his land for just about any purpose could and would be held liable for any injuries or deaths that occurred whilst using the property. And NO I am NOT a fucking lawyer but you'll find some bottom feeding scum bag to take and pursue the case if someone gets hurt in any way.

I remember not to many years ago when most of the entrances to the logging roads off from the main roads had HUGE signs most made from a full sheet of plywood with these words on them or very close to these words on them.

WARNING, primitive roads, no warning signs, enter and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

These few words were painted large enough to FILL an entire 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of plywood. Still after a couple of drunken seattlite fools flipped their car on a wooden decked bridge while driving on a local logging road, in the middle of a November snow storm and ended up drowning in the creek that ran under the bridge. Within a few days the law suit was filed and all the logging roads that we used to ride were LOCKED UP AND CLOSED as the land owner was sued for not having guard rails on the bridge to prevent such things from happening.

This happened not more then five miles from Granite Falls, this locked up many miles of logging roads we had ridden for YEARS. Now they are gone forever. Another local road that is now LOCKED UP and closed to all motorized traffic during the winter months is a forest service road that goes up Mt. Pilchuck sorry I don't remember the number, the reason given for this road and many others being locked during the winter months is IDIOTS would drive their all wheel drive street cars with street tires up there, get stuck and then call 911 to be rescued. Again we would drive our Jeeps up there all winter long for YEARS but we were prepared for the conditions and able to winch ourselves or tow each other if needed.

The all encompassing need for SAFETY and the ELIMINATION of all RISK is one of the driving factors in this land seizure, todays so called out door enthusiasts want a SAFE experience, their idea of wilderness is a paved path with benches and running water every few yards to rest at or on. One of the things that really impressed me while traveling in Europe a year ago and in Australia a few months ago was the fact that even thou they may be considered in many ways nanny states they didn't have anywhere near the laws that we here in the USA have enacted in an attempt to protect IDIOTS from doing stupid shit and killing themselves in the process.

If your gonna be stupid you had better damned well be tough, if not do the gene pool a big favor and just off yourself by being dumb that way you won't suck the air of the rest of us breath, vote and worst of all bred and pass your stupidity on for future generations to deal with.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #55
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,235
Since were all on here squawking, why don't we load up Sunday and rip that place a new asshole.
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #56
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
If those from outside the area had a care for Reiter Pit we would appreciate their help but instead they label us as bad ambassadors. I call that cat-calling from the sideline. Why don't you non-locals actually get involved vs. looking blindly away from the problem? Easy to take a blind-eye when you declare us locals as non-deserved of recreation due to our clumsy resistance.
Apologies. I forgot that Washington was the unique snowlake where things like politics, consensus building, conflict resolution, negotiation, debating people respectfully, community involvement, environmental concerns, land use and planning, and recreation are different than anywhere else in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
IMO, anyone riding a bike off-pavement should bind together for the common cause.
You Are Not My Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
I have advocated MANY times for action to be done, no one has the BALLS to join me. I'm not going to do anything good by a one-man protest ride at the old Reiter, so I sit on my hands
That's unfortunate to hear, but not surprising.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #57
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Apologies. I forgot that Washington was the unique snowlake where things like politics, consensus building, conflict resolution, negotiation, debating people respectfully, community involvement, environmental concerns, land use and planning, and recreation are different than anywhere else in the United States.

You Are Not My Brother

That's unfortunate to hear, but not surprising.
OK, since you're the ONLY one in the know - how we's gunna fix dis shiz up here? I'm sorry, anybody who craves sketchy single track IS MY BROTHER. I don't care who they are or their background/beliefs/values. We have a common interest/ability/comittment to the recreation form of choice. Well, I guess you ain't my brother if you enjoy single track but then on the other hand somehow argue to either close existing trails or restrict it to others.
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #58
Granparacer
Old but not dead

Oddometer: 228
The first thing to do is to join in the effort to change some of the WA state rules regarding liability for landowners. If the timber companies (who manage much of the land here) were unafraid of lawsuits, we might be able to develop trail systems (as we used to enjoy) without being bogged down by the beaurcratic BS of the state. We rode on a huge tract of private land east of Sedro Woolley for many years until it was sold and the new owner's lawyers decided that we were too much of a risk.
As it is now we depend on the state DNR to manage riding on state trust lands. It requires volunteer action to maintain these trails (hard to come by) and to influence the managers (only a few folks help out) and many would rather complain than help.
There will be yet another attempt this year to change the liability laws; led by the fine folks at WOHVA (thanks Tod) and resisted by the trial lawyers. Your support in this effort will be crucial.
As for Reiter; it will never return to what it was and we will never be able to ride "just down the street" like we did when I was a kid. Move to a less populated area and it maybe better than it is here; at least for a while...
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #59
Aquanout OP
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Dear Mr. Cobb, your life resume is impressive, and I salute your luck in your survival. But, not insulting you, it would take a lot more to insult a feller such as myself. ;-) Being said, or written, my comment was to make people think, evoke a thought, much like a picture you haven't set eyes on for many years. Humanity as a whole doesnt deserve what we are given, a child with a toy that smashes it, but that is a discussion for another time.

My auto correct added a B to your screen name, wasn't intended.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #60
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
With all due respect, sir, it's not that simple. There are a great many--a majority in your state of WA last election, I believe--who might be generally characterized as believing that we'd see a lot of 'wreckage' in other aspects of our society if we just simply elected in all right-wing, conservative tea-party types. As we've witnessed with the partisan stalemate we've had at the federal level, nothing's gonna get done without balance and compromise. And to that we should wake the fuck up.

Is there such a thing a negative score on the COBbie scale...

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote