ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Cry "Hi, someone knocked over your bike outside."

Got a ring at my door earlier and was told by some random lady that someone had knocked my bike over (it was parked in front of the building). Figuring "Hey, it happens," I ran out to pick it up and started evaluating the situation.

First of all, it was on the centerstand (specifically to prevent knockovers) so it would take a rather hard hit to knock it over. It was down in such a way that the front end had slipped under the bumper of the car in front and the ground had a several inch gash in it.

Also, the license plate and the front half of my Sargent seat were gone. Since the rear half of the seat locks, the front had to be purposely pried out. Then I start evaluating damage and notice that aside from some relatively minor scratches on the side it fell on, as well as a cracked mirror, there isn't much. Also, there were no cracks in the fairing where it would've been hit if it was knocked down by a car aside from a scratch on the back.

What doesn't make sense is that if someone just hit it and left, than they wouldn't take the plate and seat. And if someone just wanted to steal the stuff, what's the point of knocking the bike down?

This just happened like an hour ago, so I'm still in the early stages of grief that comes with no longer having my awesome seat. Honestly, I'm just not sure what to make of it. There was also a Garmin attached to the bike and that wasn't taken, even though the ram mount broke off. Nothing from under the seat either. I don't think I've pissed anyone off lately.

Guess I'm just curious about how other people handled a similar situation. The feeling of helplessness sucks ass.
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
V8

Oddometer: 9,214
Have insurance ? I think calling them might help more then posting on the internet.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,323
I dont think that was very helpful

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just liability. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be covered in any case. I'm not expecting to recover anything (although if someone sees someone selling the front half of a red-piped 5th gen VFR800 seat in the next few days...)

I'm just a bit flabbergasted by it getting thrown around so badly and wondering if this is a normal thing in such thefts, or if I have some demented neighbor who thinks i took his spot or something and trying to make a point.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,495
Probably just vandalism. Don't look too hard for a reason. Some will do this sort of thing just because the oppurtunity is presented.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
GHOST RIDER ?
found second gear

Oddometer: 1,404
hmm well you could start by seeing if there are any cameras on the surrounding buildings did you call the cops I got lucky once catching a guy they lifted his fingerprints other than that what V8 said

and if you do find him first
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
People are A$$horses. That's all. Don't try to understand the reason. Hope you are covered. I'll share 2 stories: I used to live in a "hip" area of town, drunk girls decided o mount my Ducati for pics while parked in a garage and dropped it ( no reason, saw it on the security vid). Same area different bike, guy decides to put his toddler on the bike to take a pic with no permission, exhaust was still hot and burns kid. He kicks the bike over. He paid in more than one ways for that since I was sitting across the street from the incident. No worries, kid was not traumatized. People are what they are. Hope you are covered and good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 569
Some states have uninsured /underinsured motorist coverage and a hit and run would trigger that coverage. Virginia is one of those states. Even with no comp or collision you would have coverage if it was apparent a car hit it. Only a $200 deductible too.

Worth a call to your agent and asking....
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post
Got a ring at my door earlier and was told by some random lady that someone had knocked my bike over (it was parked in front of the building). Figuring "Hey, it happens," I ran out to pick it up and started evaluating the situation.

First of all, it was on the centerstand (specifically to prevent knockovers) so it would take a rather hard hit to knock it over. It was down in such a way that the front end had slipped under the bumper of the car in front and the ground had a several inch gash in it.

Also, the license plate and the front half of my Sargent seat were gone. Since the rear half of the seat locks, the front had to be purposely pried out. Then I start evaluating damage and notice that aside from some relatively minor scratches on the side it fell on, as well as a cracked mirror, there isn't much. Also, there were no cracks in the fairing where it would've been hit if it was knocked down by a car aside from a scratch on the back.

What doesn't make sense is that if someone just hit it and left, than they wouldn't take the plate and seat. And if someone just wanted to steal the stuff, what's the point of knocking the bike down?

This just happened like an hour ago, so I'm still in the early stages of grief that comes with no longer having my awesome seat. Honestly, I'm just not sure what to make of it. There was also a Garmin attached to the bike and that wasn't taken, even though the ram mount broke off. Nothing from under the seat either. I don't think I've pissed anyone off lately.

Guess I'm just curious about how other people handled a similar situation. The feeling of helplessness sucks ass.
Maybe it was intentionally put on the ground to make it less obvious while they removed your plate and seat.

Take it out of the normal line of sight?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
You have a bike, they do not. In their eyes you are some rich 1%er and suck. One night, 25 years ago while spending the night with a young lady, I heard a bunch of people in the parking lot. I looked out just in time to see them push my bike over. They basically did it just for kicks. Sucks. I guess part of living in the city too.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's the conclusion I've come to as well. Moving on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Maybe it was intentionally put on the ground to make it less obvious while they removed your plate and seat.

Take it out of the normal line of sight?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
What's the protocol if you are riding and come up on a bike that has been knocked over? Ie do you pick it up? Leave it and try to find the owner?
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #13
ghedunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Just keep going. Nothing you can do but be blame'd.
83 R100RS BMW
84 R100RT BMW
ghedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,516
You might cause more damage trying to pick it up, I'd leave it for the owner.

Plus, there is the idea that if you're picking it up, you knocked it over.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,454
a long long time ago i remember when people could stop and help but them days are gone..
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote