Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post

If it was me, I wouldn't even really concern myself too much with the load because it is so small. But one thing I would do is wire it through a relay trigger by switched power, or at least through switched power. That way you don't run down your battery when you park your bike and leave all those electrics still running.
I think I should clarify myself with this. I'm not at all worried about the draw of the charger itself, because we use a heated jacket that draws way more power than the charger ever will. I'm just worried about how much the inverter will draw in order to do its thing that will in turn power the charger.

Thanks for everyones help by the way. I have a pdf to go now read on inverters...

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Dave as long as you are only running the inverter while you are riding, you should have no problems. (You do need an inverter, a chunk of extension cord hooked to your battery won't work.) If your volt meter shows the volts dropping to low, just shut something off or turn it down. I once left my cell phone plugged into my inverter over night. I figured charging the phone wouldn't be enough draw to drain the battery. I was wrong. Got up the next morning to a dead battery. Luckily I only had to push the bike a few feet to where I could use a gravity starter to start it. So make sure you are camped up a hill if going to use the inverter while stopped.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Haha unfortunately parking up hill wont work. If the battery is dead on a Strom, you're screwed. Bump starting is not an option. One of a very short list of things I don't like about the Strom 650.

I figure at this point I'll throw it in if I have the time to do so before we take off. If I don't have time then o well. My girl has never been able to charge her camera while on the road before, so this will not be any different. I do know that if I do hook one up, it will be wired to the "switched" circuit of the fuse box.

I figure I'll just wire in a 12V accessory "cigarette lighter" under the seat, and plug the inverter into it.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave View Post
Haha unfortunately parking up hill wont work. If the battery is dead on a Strom, you're screwed. Bump starting is not an option. One of a very short list of things I don't like about the Strom 650.
If you ever find yourself with a low battery, don't write off trying the bump start. A battery can be to low to turn the starter, but still have enough juice to fire the engine if it is turned over by some other means.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I don't know specifically what brand/model cameras you're thinking of taking, but I would start by looking at car chargers offered by the manufacturer first.

All the wall chargers that you've listed do is to drop household AC down to a low voltage (4.3 & 8.4 by your previous post) & also rectify it to DC. Your bike already puts out DC & the voltage is also higher than either device requires, so simple circuitry can deliver the right voltages.

Using an inverter seems like a very round about way to recharge your stuff. The inverter would step up your moto power to 120V & convert it to AC. Then your chargers would switch it back to DC & step it down to a lower voltage than the bike. I know it seems plug & play but I'm sure there's a more efficient way.

Depending on the plugs your devices have, there are probably aftermarket auto chargers out there that would work off the shelf.

This would also be a simple build for an electronics guy (I only dabble once in a while).

If I were faced with this problem, I suppose I would look for the proper auto charger first. Failing that, I'd buy some generic chargers of the right output & splice on the right connectors to hook up to the stuff I wanted to recharge.

If that didn't work, I might brush up on voltage dividers & just build one.
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote