Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Borracho OP
EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer: 1,351
Need help on HID conversion please

Hi guys,

I'm looking to install an HID on the low beam, along with an LED for the parking bulb on a 2013 1200GS. I found the correct LED for the parking lamp, but have run into issues with finding the correct HID for the main beam.

I was looking at the Ultra Slim Digital HID kit here

Under the options, do I want a single beam bulb? And what are the recommendations on relays?

I read this thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=clear

I'm still confused about the options, any help would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks!

Chris
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
I'm pretty certain the 2013 still has seperate hi/lo bulbs. So you need 2 of everything 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, and possibly 2 Canbus cheaters. So I was looking at that website and was scratching my head as to what exactly the "kit" was. Call them.

I went with DDM Tuning on my 05 and a "kit" was a "single" HID, or a "dual" (2ea of each component) or the hi/lo kit. The hi/lo kit is for the dual filament type bulbs. I ordered the Dual kit, and the cheaters.

The need for cheaters is contraversial some need it some don't. It "seems" most 35W kits don't need them.

Good luck.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Borracho OP
EDDIE WOULD GO

Sweet, thanks dood. Yeah, I'm just confused over the single/dual filament bulb type...

I'll shoot them a call tomorrow, thanks again.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borracho View Post
Sweet, thanks dood. Yeah, I'm just confused over the single/dual filament bulb type...

I'll shoot them a call tomorrow, thanks again.
Looking at the fiche, you want a single beam. The dual beam is for headlights that have one bulb with two filaments (high & low). A relay wouldn't be a bad idea, although on my 1150 the ballast is powered direct from the battery so the only power running through the switchgear is the trigger for the ballast to ignite.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Borracho OP
EDDIE WOULD GO

Thanks Mark. I got thrown off by thinking this company knew the specifics for the GS. Why I thought that......
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,614
you should reach out to jvb. he did an hid hi/lo install on my 2011. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
No need for a relay as the HID kit is powered via the connector that went to the original bulb. The load will be the same or less than original. If you do it any other way you will get lamp f warning and no light. You might get that anyway if you don't by a CAN hid kit but you can sort it via an extra bit of kit. Oh it's an H7 kit that your looking for as well
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
I think it's kind of confusing the way they wrote it up - single beam or dual beam (single bulb or 'two' single bulbs). The one you don't want is the 'Bi-Xenon' bulb; those are bulbs that have dual filaments in them for a high / low bulb in one.

Here's another link that JVB started awhile back on another HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial) and in the later part (where that link will take you) some of us (webjester) gets into finding out what values the ECU/ZFE will show an error or shut down the circuit on the low beam side (The lower threshold was at 0.86A @14.2V ---- The upper threshold was at about 6.2A @14.2V). The ballast has to remain inside of those two points even at start-up - kind of hard for anything above 35W. That's to run the HID system on the low beam side without a relay.
And I would put a diode in your 'kit' power wire coming off of your bulb (kits usually get their power from the original bulb socket to power the ballast and bulb) to protect your ECU/ZFE computer on the bike from any 'backwash' from the ballast.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Oh... and be very careful inside your $500 headlight assembly. There are 'mini' tabs that keep your retaining wire for your bulb in place that will break off if you use too much force - which isn't much. Broke mine off.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 2,217
Hey Borracho - you're on the right tracks - it's probably the single most noticeable improvement you'll put on your scoot.

Stock lamps are sad - the HID upgrades are well worth the effort and $$$

The thing that's making it confusing is that the GS has two lamps - but shouldn't be considered a 'dual filament' system. Each of the bulbs (or lamps) on the GS, only has ONE filament. You'll obviously need 2 (lamp and ballast kits) - one for main beam - and another for high beam.

Get the kits that are Canbus friendly. I got mine from 1off - but I don't think they're in business any more.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
skidlid_26
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I am using the slim ballast kits from HIDsource.com in mine. They are Canbus friendly and are working great. I went with 5K H7 in the low beam and 6K H7 in the high. If you tell Steve you are from Adv rider he will give you a price break, I set it up with him while I am getting my web store up and running. The hardest part is finding a good spot to mount the ballasts so they stay safely out of the way!
skidlid_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Borracho OP
EDDIE WOULD GO

Awesome replies guys, thank you so much!!!!! That's why I love this place.

Will post up once I get it running, thanks again!!!!!