Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #1576
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
NSFW...

1: The canopy I have is about 15x15, here is an image of a similar one
http://r1.coleman.com/ProductImages/...91a151_500.jpg I'm still most likely riding up though so we'll need to arrange transportation; I live in Torrance and work in downtown, packed it's probably 36" - 40" long and maybe 12" around.

2: I'm checking into tables.

3: Dinner Volunteers - I'm sorry but I forget exactly what you're looking for. If you're looking for chow line people I'm sure I can be available to help.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #1577
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
Mighty fine looking trailer you got there!
Ain't it though..........

Just need a tow vehicle that gets better gas mileage. I'm actually going to look at the new Ford F-150 V-6 that is rated to tow 11,200 lbs and gets 22mpg on the highway.

Got to decide if I want a payment though. Everything I own except my house is free and clear.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #1578
Lcolton_BMWVC
Poor College Student

Oddometer: 22
More BMWVC Support!!!

This is an open invite for any and all inmates that want to squeeze in some extra practice, or for and NooB's that want some basic offroad riding instruction before heading out to DV.

We will be hosting our 3'rd "Ground Breakers" riding class Saturday March 23'rd (the Saturday right before the DV rally). This event is open to all participants and is free of charge (minus admission into Hungry Valley SVRA). This is low pressure event for those that have never been in the dirt on their large dual sport bike, or that just want to brush up a little bit in a low pressure environment. This event will be stationary, meaning it will not be a trail ride but there will be trails nearby if people want to pair up and explore.

More details can be found here, http://bmwvc-ventureriders.com/forum...=2013-3-23&c=1 , you will also find a link to RSVP. If any inmates have any questions feel free to PM me or email me at lcolton@bmwventura.com .
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #1579
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,651
Vegeteranians

OK

Looks like I am your vegetarian chef for the three dinners. How many Vegetarians are out there (maximum of 10).

The food will NOT be Vegan.

Some will be Vegetarian and some will be lacto-ovo. It may be cooked in close proximity to my steaks and ribs, but I promise I won't let them touch each other .

PM me if you want to eat veggie for the three dinners. I will feed the first ten to respond via PM. Let me know if you have any special needs or allergies too.

Please title the PM "DV Veggies" so I can easily keep them separate.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #1580
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcolton_BMWVC View Post
This is an open invite for any and all inmates that want to squeeze in some extra practice, or for and NooB's that want some basic offroad riding instruction before heading out to DV.

We will be hosting our 3'rd "Ground Breakers" riding class Saturday March 23'rd (the Saturday right before the DV rally). This event is open to all participants and is free of charge (minus admission into Hungry Valley SVRA). This is low pressure event for those that have never been in the dirt on their large dual sport bike, or that just want to brush up a little bit in a low pressure environment. This event will be stationary, meaning it will not be a trail ride but there will be trails nearby if people want to pair up and explore.

More details can be found here, http://bmwvc-ventureriders.com/forum...=2013-3-23&c=1 , you will also find a link to RSVP. If any inmates have any questions feel free to PM me or email me at lcolton@bmwventura.com .
Nice, too bad I'll be in Mammoth trying not to kill myself learning how to ski and snowmobile.

My plans for Thursday are to do that in DV. I want to hit various terrain (I have a friend giving me waypoints). Anybody can join up with me. Be aware I'm a newb too so I can't give any advise or guidance, if a experienced person wants to tag along and play the role of wise person please feel free.

I'd probably set off a bit later in the morning since I may show up later on Wednesday pending work.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #1581
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Just saw a post in western region about Cerro Gordo being closed...wonder what that's about and what routes, or if it was just the mine site visitor thingy there.

EDIT: BTW, for the rest, it would be nice if we could get to more serious event planning without so much fluff. Seriously people....
Chris, if Cerro Gordo is closed, do you have any other plans for that day's ride?

If both Hunter Mountain and Cerro Gordo are closed, I suggest riding Goler/Mengel (either as an out and back or as a loop back through Furnace Creek) on either Friday or Saturday. Just putting out feelers, since I haven't gotten too much useful info from the DV road conditions thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833425

The DV Morning Report indicates that things are ok up on Hunter Mtn (since it isn't mentioned, and "All other park roads open and in standard condition") or, maybe since Inyo County has posted South Pass as cloased, no one cares to check if Hunter Mountain is passable.

If I recall, South Pass has been posted closed for years...

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm (for morning report link)

Morning Report: http://www.nps.gov/deva/loader.cfm?c...&pageid=439529
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #1582
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
Chris, if Cerro Gordo is closed, do you have any other plans for that day's ride?

If both Hunter Mountain and Cerro Gordo are closed, I suggest riding Goler/Mengel (either as an out and back or as a loop back through Furnace Creek) on either Friday or Saturday. Just putting out feelers, since I haven't gotten too much useful info from the DV road conditions thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833425

The DV Morning Report indicates that things are ok up on Hunter Mtn (since it isn't mentioned, and "All other park roads open and in standard condition") or, maybe since Inyo County has posted South Pass as cloased, no one cares to check if Hunter Mountain is passable.

If I recall, South Pass has been posted closed for years...

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm (for morning report link)

Morning Report: http://www.nps.gov/deva/loader.cfm?c...&pageid=439529

We really won't have current info 'till closer to the event. If we get some warm weather between now and then the snow will melt. If we get another storm it could be completely snowed in.

My inclination would be to ride to the hot springs for a soak.

And while you mention it, there was concern expressed all around about big bikes making it up to the Salt Trams. Last year was no problem on my TE630, but I wouldn't even consider trying to get my Tiger 800 up there. We need some feedback on this.

Someone sent this to me...
I think you should post up all kinds of skull and crossbones warning shit about the sand, the climb, the rocky ledge with the cliff and gale force winds out to the salt tram, etc

Or offer tracks for the most direct, easiest way out to CG and the tram. Howzabout a 4th guy volunteering to take big bikes and the 250s?"

Seriously though, I say truth in advertising and strongly encourage people to rethink their plans.

Are you and others going to be radio'ed up?

And what about big bikes getting into Osborne Cabin? We have a GS signed up, which will be fine except for the last mile or two of rock garden. I wonder if Loner has ridden his SE into there.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #1583
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

FYI I'm not expert but I know how to use ham radios. If anybody wants help with their radios onsite hit me up and I'll try to assist.

I'm going to try to put together a simple simplex repeater for the event, right now I've got most of the parts but need to line up a solar panel for it. If anybody has a 20 - 30 watt solar panel with 12V battery controller they would like to offer for the weekend we can have a repeater placed high to help cover more area.

Be aware that the panel (along with my equipment) will be untended on top of a local high-point. The panel will be keeping the repeater/radio's battery charged so we can use it.

Also - If you have a stand-alone repeater bring it out, I'm sure we can find more than one hill to put them on. Pablo plans to assist with this if we can do it.

Sequoia / KJ6KVL
Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #1584
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
We really won't have current info 'till closer to the event. If we get some warm weather between now and then the snow will melt. If we get another storm it could be completely snowed in.

My inclination would be to ride to the hot springs for a soak.

And while you mention it, there was concern expressed all around about big bikes making it up to the Salt Trams. Last year was no problem on my TE630, but I wouldn't even consider trying to get my Tiger 800 up there. We need some feedback on this.

Someone sent this to me...
I think you should post up all kinds of skull and crossbones warning shit about the sand, the climb, the rocky ledge with the cliff and gale force winds out to the salt tram, etc

Or offer tracks for the most direct, easiest way out to CG and the tram. Howzabout a 4th guy volunteering to take big bikes and the 250s?"

Seriously though, I say truth in advertising and strongly encourage people to rethink their plans.

Are you and others going to be radio'ed up?

And what about big bikes getting into Osborne Cabin? We have a GS signed up, which will be fine except for the last mile or two of rock garden. I wonder if Loner has ridden his SE into there.
I have not rode the SE to Osborne, but have rode the 450 there many times. I don't see an issue for big bikes to get there, provided the rider has intermediate skills. There's nothing difficult in the last couple of miles, just lots of rocks. I have ridden the trail at night too and didn't really need to slow down. I'll see if I can find out what's up at Cerro Gordo.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #1585
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Just saw a post in western region about Cerro Gordo being closed...wonder what that's about and what routes, or if it was just the mine site visitor thingy there.

Cerro Gordo Townsite opens and closes to visitors and overnighters.. It's not the road they are talking about. As Finn says, the road is open/closed by cold and snow. What you as a rider can handle.

More info here... http://www.cerrogordo.us/

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #1586
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Cerro Gordo

I just spoke to Robert, the Cerro Gordo caretaker, and yes the town is closed to visitors, sort of. We will still be able to stop there and even see some of the town. The 'closed' status really means that there are not overnight accommodations at this time.

Robert will welcome the ADV riders. There is also no snow up there at this time. Lot different from last year.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #1587
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
I just spoke to Robert, the Cerro Gordo caretaker, and yes the town is closed to visitors, sort of. We will still be able to stop there and even see some of the town. The 'closed' status really means that there are not overnight accommodations at this time.

Robert will welcome the ADV riders. There is also no snow up there at this time. Lot different from last year.

The "Loner connection" comes through again.

Paul has friends in "high places"
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #1588
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,312
Cerro Gordo is high...

9000' high.

Here's another site on the ghost town, complete with banjo knee-slappin' music.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/cerrogordo.html

Salt trams are also at about 9K feet but you go up and down the ridge routes to get there.
Good site with info on the Salt Tram and it's history. http://ronslog.typepad.com/ronslog/2008/11/exploration-of-the-salt-tram.html

I was surprised to see this website had the same photo I took of the cabin last year, my pic is on page one of this thread. Mt. Whitney is one of the peaks across owens valley.

browneye screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 07:24 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #1589
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,842
Quote:

thanks lyle for the invite. this is great and hope people, especially noobs take advantage of this. good time to debug their bikes and do a gear shakedown with no pressure.

once you're at the dvnr, rhere's peer pressure and not the best time to do your first dirt ride. those with new riding gear, break them in before you go on a long ride. you'll be surprised there's no such thing as a perfect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post

thanks paul. good info. we have a box of Karma Tequila from nowwhat, and maybe someone could bring one to Robert.....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #1590
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,514
Quote:

Folks, I will be attending this on my GS on Tourances. If you are a n00b and you are concerned about DV, come on out and get some extra practice. I know that I need every opportunity I can get.

Lyle is good people and their interest is to help get riders more comfortable on their bikes. I have been on a couple of the rides from the shop and they are a no pressure ride group.

If you have questions, please PM me. I am happy to respond. I no longer get consistent access to ADV at work, so it may take me awhile to get back to you.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote