ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #1681
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
If I get real energetic I'll bring my portable tire changer......well, portable means it fits in the truck
Save your energy, noobs need to learn to use tire levers.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #1682
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Save your energy, noobs need to learn to use tire levers.
noobs????? it's for me
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #1683
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Save your energy, noobs need to learn to use tire levers.
Exactly. A flat repair is not something of which to be fearful. You schlep all those tools around all the time... it is good to use them!

When I first got my 950 (coming from a R1150GSAdv) I was fearful of flats. It had been years since I had to deal with tubes. Well, one day during a nOObs rally I ended up with three flats. Yes, three. The first one took 90+ minutes, the second one about 60 minutes, by the third flat I was down to 20 min or so for the complete repair.

There will be plenty of people with loads of experience to help any nOOb flat fixes. Of course, with all the "experienced" flat fixers, there will also be just as many different opinions as to the "best" way to fix a flat.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #1684
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Exactly. A flat repair is not something of which to be fearful. You schlep all those tools around all the time... it is good to use them!

When I first got my 950 (coming from a R1150GSAdv) I was fearful of flats. It had been years since I had to deal with tubes. Well, one day during a nOObs rally I ended up with three flats. Yes, three. The first one took 90+ minutes, the second one about 60 minutes, by the third flat I was down to 20 min or so for the complete repair.

There will be plenty of people with loads of experience to help any nOOb flat fixes. Of course, with all the "experienced" flat fixers, there will also be just as many different opinions as to the "best" way to fix a flat.
I have found that the best way to deal with flats is to have them happen to somebody else's bike.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1685
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer
 
airborndad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Montclair Ca.
Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
Looks like the noob group rides for Saturday and Sunday are Full. Will any ride leaders take more than 12 riders?
I'd sign up to lead a new one but given I'm a noob without gps and it's first time to DV, i probably should follow someone else. :-)

I'll keep checking the ride sign up page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post

calling dv vets.....give one day of the year to the noobs.

.
Noobs
don't stress as others have said more rides will be posted
I will be leading a noobs ride at least one day (Fri for sure)..... and? quite? possibly? two? days? (?Thurs? & Fri) And might be looking to join in on a ride (Sat) to possibly Cerro Gordo ??? or Surprise canyon ?????

Possible noobs ride /warm up ride choices:
# 1 Augberry point - Charcoal kilns and whatever that road past it goes to (been there done that just can't remember the name & don't have easy access to refresh my bad memory) if it is not snowed in
# 2 Darwin -and maybe Hunter mtn as far as we can go in the snow & Father Crowley on the way back
# 3 Ballarat - Golar Wash and maybe slightly beyond if all are willing to chance adding some character marks to their rides (its worth trying) if everyone is not able or willing to try it (if its all tore The F up) we can just hang out and watch the carnage unfold (this will be an earlyish departure ride so we can get there and ?beyond? before all of the people who think they have the talent to make it easily
(This waterfall/steps section really depends on the conditions sometimes its EASY sometimes it's hard)

I won't be posting the ride on the sign up thingy til March

I am working straight 13 hour night shifts til then and stuck in a hotel with only my I Phone and beer til then so it's a PITA to do this compewter stuff

Stay tuned ya FF's

airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1686
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
I have found that the best way to deal with flats is to have them happen to somebody else's bike.
I agree 100%!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #1687
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
A few years back I was sitting around a campfire with a few riding buddies and I commented that I had been carrying tubes and tools for over 15 years and had never had to change a flat on the trail.......I changed 3 flats on the trail the next day.



I remember the seventies and even into the eighties, it was unusual for a group of guys to ride for even 2 or 3 hours without having to fix something. Those memories cause us more experienced riders (old farts) to pack way too much shit when we go somewhere.


same here, i bring more shit than i need. i even bring my chain breaker when riding the bmw 1200....



Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
An FYI,
We have six signed up for the Wed, March 27th class and there are seven riders that I believe are attending the rally signed up for the weekend previous, March 23,24.

Joel, sorry I missed you at KOM but I was running around with my head at max bandwidth. Maybe a little like you at the Noob Rally or seeing 133 PMs!?!

When I slow down a bit I'll get to answering and helping with riding questions a little closer to the event!

JIMMY
hope more peeps sign up on either the weekend or wednesday class. folks - of course you guys can afford it if you get your priority in the correct order.

jimmy, no problem. saw you at the finish line and i didn't even bother to say hello since you were too preoccupied.




i have more pics of the race posted here...king of the motos
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #1688
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Noobs
don't stress as others have said more rides will be posted
I will be leading a noobs ride at least one day (Fri for sure)..... and? quite? possibly? two? days? (?Thurs? & Fri) And might be looking to join in on a ride (Sat) to possibly Cerro Gordo ??? or Surprise canyon ?????

Possible noobs ride /warm up ride choices:
# 1 Augberry point - Charcoal kilns and whatever that road past it goes to (been there done that just can't remember the name & don't have easy access to refresh my bad memory) if it is not snowed in
# 2 Darwin -and maybe Hunter mtn as far as we can go in the snow & Father Crowley on the way back
# 3 Ballarat - Golar Wash and maybe slightly beyond if all are willing to chance adding some character marks to their rides (its worth trying) if everyone is not able or willing to try it (if its all tore The F up) we can just hang out and watch the carnage unfold (this will be an earlyish departure ride so we can get there and ?beyond? before all of the people who think they have the talent to make it easily
(This waterfall/steps section really depends on the conditions sometimes its EASY sometimes it's hard)

I won't be posting the ride on the sign up thingy til March

I am working straight 13 hour night shifts til then and stuck in a hotel with only my I Phone and beer til then so it's a PITA to do this compewter stuff

Stay tuned ya FF's


i knew you're going to step up.

thanks keith....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #1689
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
I have found that the best way to deal with flats is to have them happen to somebody else's bike.
hahaha....me too and don't have to worry about scratching my shiny excel rims.....


talking about wheels.....woody's is supporting this event. i will post details later.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #1690
ahwarm
Adventurer
 
ahwarm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Ca
Oddometer: 40
Hey Joel. I PM'd you about not making it. Did you get it?
ahwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #1691
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwarm View Post
Hey Joel. I PM'd you about not making it. Did you get it?
hi andy, got it. sorry for the slow reply. extremely busy at work and could not connect to the advrider.com site.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #1692
ahwarm
Adventurer
 
ahwarm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Ca
Oddometer: 40
No worries. Really wearing on me that I have to work weekends.


Andy
ahwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #1693
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,738
EMAIL FROM PSR. PLEASE READ:

Hi Joel,

Finally have an answer to your trash inquiry, as I have met with the other managers.

Yes, last year your group filled up both dumpsters and also left a lot of trash outside of the dumpsters. This was a big additional cost to us to have it hauled out. Unfortunately, we no longer have trash pickup here and have to haul trash to the dump ourselves. Therefore, we no longer have any dumpsters in the campground, and campers are required to pack out their trash.

We would be willing to set up special dumpsters for your group, but this would be at considerable cost to us. We can set up dumpsters and haul the trash out for a $500 fee. This is for the whole weekend. Iíd recommend doing this, since I feel it may be unlikely that people from your group will comply and take their trash with them. If you choose not to take this option, and there is trash left in our campground, then we will have to set up this service next year as part of your reservation.

If you want trash service, then we are also willing to set up recycling bins, but it needs to be just recycling, no trash mixed in. We donít have the staff or time to sort through it, so if people throw trash in it, it will all go to the dump.

Iím sorry that we canít provide the trash service like before, but the costs of trash hauling has risen significantly since we can no longer find someone to haul our trash. Since your group has a history of producing way more trash than normal campers, we just canít shoulder the cost anymore. Again, sorry it has to be this way, but times are tough for small businesses like ours and we are doing the best we can.

Please let me know either way.

Best regards,
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #1694
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,460
Bump up the registration $3 per person & be done with it. If $3 will make or break your attending you probably shouldn't be coming anyway?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #1695
novos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
novos's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 196
I'll pay $3.00

I'd hate for PSR to think "oh, THOSE fuckin' people again."

Let's leave the fireworks at home too
novos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014