Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #2011
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
A recent tragedy has (among other things ) scrambled my spring travel plans, which now leaves me in a positon to attend the nOOb Rally.
While I had not previously planned on going, spending time with new and old friends sounds like a really good idea right now.

Joel has graciously bumped me to the IN list on condition that I herd cats to the hot springs (and back? ) on friday. No problem, I can even put together a gps file for anyone who needs (though not really necessary for this ride). As mentioned previously, it is about 150miles round trip. Get a somewhat early start and there should be time for a short soak. Maybe even check out a couple landmarks and an alternate route on the way back.

Actually, I am planning to take the whole week off... Leaving home on saturday (3/23), do some exploring beyond DV into Nevada, working my way back to PSR on thursday (3/28). Not sure yet exactly where I may go, but I have several interesting waypoints and routes on my "haven't been there yet" list. If anyone is interested in joining in on that little adventure, let me know.

Furthermore, I may get my dad to meet me at Ballarat saturday morning to do the Pleasant / South Park loop and maybe Goler / Striped Butte as well. If so, I would have him bring up my 525 and we could take on a couple others for an easy-paced but challenging ride in the Panamint Range.

-M
matt thanks for falling into my trap.... yeah, baby sitting 6 or more noobs is nothing you haven't done before. i hope one or 2 of them guys will turn out to be another ersin.....

chris (browneye) is in charge of the group rides, easier to track down and remember. pls. start one here...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=6

my friday (what else could go wrong) ride is not getting any attention... so far only 1 noob signed up, guess the rest want something more exciting... if it ends up just 2 of us, we may just join your group (me sweep) but i will have to turn around @ 1 pm and head back to camp to prep dinner.

i love to join you saturday if there's still room, except you have to bring me back to camp before 4pm.

those arriving before thursday, contact matt and you guys just found yourself a good guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
Like matt, joel was able to slip me in after a few dropped out. Have never been on a bike in D.V. only on family trips passing through. I am truely looking forward to this excursion & WISH i could join matt before the D.V. destination, sounds good, no real plan. Sea you boys in a few weeks & hopefully have the SE equipped with ken's (powercell) new fuel tank. I'll be leaving EARLY friday morning if anybody is interested in hooking up, i live in santa clarita right off the 14. Till then everybody enjoy & sea ya soon!

RIDE ON!
good to have you shawn. if you want some of your gear or drinks hauled up to PSR, just PM me. i'll be leaving wednesday afternoon here in burbank.

and if you get to PSR before 9 on friday, you may be able to join some of the groups that are not filled up....like mine...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #2012
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
A recent tragedy has (among other things ) scrambled my spring travel plans, which now leaves me in a positon to attend the nOOb Rally.
While I had not previously planned on going, spending time with new and old friends sounds like a really good idea right now.

Joel has graciously bumped me to the IN list on condition that I herd cats to the hot springs (and back? ) on friday. No problem, I can even put together a gps file for anyone who needs (though not really necessary for this ride). As mentioned previously, it is about 150miles round trip. Get a somewhat early start and there should be time for a short soak. Maybe even check out a couple landmarks and an alternate route on the way back.

Actually, I am planning to take the whole week off... Leaving home on saturday (3/23), do some exploring beyond DV into Nevada, working my way back to PSR on thursday (3/28). Not sure yet exactly where I may go, but I have several interesting waypoints and routes on my "haven't been there yet" list. If anyone is interested in joining in on that little adventure, let me know.

Furthermore, I may get my dad to meet me at Ballarat saturday morning to do the Pleasant / South Park loop and maybe Goler / Striped Butte as well. If so, I would have him bring up my 525 and we could take on a couple others for an easy-paced but challenging ride in the Panamint Range.

-M
I am coming into Panamint Springs Campground late on the 22nd and spending the week exploring the area as well. It would be great to tag along on any rides you might be doing. I will be returning to the Campground nightly. Black Dodge Ram and Tent-trailer.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #2013
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
Hiya, Joel

We did indeed.

Nope, belongs to another guy in our group. I was riding my 950 SE.
good to hear you guys got some tan....

bt, thought i saw your 660 here...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866368
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #2014
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Hey All. Glen the adventuredog here. Really looking forward to this event! I'll be getting dropped off (very uncerimoniously) by my fam on the 395 on the way down from Mammoth on Wednesday 3/27. Wondering if riding in on my 690E around noon will give me enough time to get to camp on dirt or should I stick to the pavement? Does anyone have a gpx file for a good trail or slab with a little parallel dirt excursion(s)? Anyone care to join me?

Also not looking too forward to riding all the way back to LA on the 690 after a few days of rallying. Actually, I'd like to preserve what's left of my marriage (apparently interupting child's spring break for moto-indulgence is unacceptable even if I've just treated them to a week on the slopes) by being home for Easter Sunday. Can anyone returning to LA on Sat night haul me and my bike back? Avoiding divorce keeps the toy box well stocked and makes for lots of therapeutic excursions with the boys. And there's nothing wrong with devilled eggs and lambchops on Easter either

I guess if that doesn't pan out, a Sunday or Monday lift would be helpful.

Thanks

12 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #2015
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
bt, thought i saw your 660 here...
It was mine, sold it to a friend in our group who went out with us. Still have my 690 Rallye though, hanging on to that one

Hope you have a great time out there, Joel.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #2016
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Interested in that ride to the springs with the advanced rider leading the noobs.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #2017
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
Easter
Argh, I didn't realize Easter fell on the 31st this year. Why can't they keep Easter in April like it's supposed to be! I blame the Pope, he sholud be fired!

I'll still be at the event but will probably have to leave early Sunday (not sure I'll have the motivation for a Saturday night departure); need to talk to the wife about it.

How much does your 690 weigh? I'll have the KLR on a trailer but it's a small trailer, we can likely fit two large bikes on it but I'll have to do a weight check.

I'll also be in Mammoth with my family the wekeend before, from Friday though Sunday.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #2018
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
I am coming into Panamint Springs Campground late on the 22nd and spending the week exploring the area as well. It would be great to tag along on any rides you might be doing. I will be returning to the Campground nightly. Black Dodge Ram and Tent-trailer.
Sorry, but I will not be staying at PSR until thursday (3/27).
Possible I may pass thru earlier in the week, but not sure yet.

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #2019
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Argh, I didn't realize Easter fell on the 31st this year. Why can't they keep Easter in April like it's supposed to be! I blame the Pope, he sholud be fired!
That would be so cool to fire the pope after two days on the job! Now there's a scandal even the Catholics could feel good about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
How much does your 690 weigh? I'll have the KLR on a trailer but it's a small trailer, we can likely fit two large bikes on it but I'll have to do a weight check.
bike weighs about half of your bike! Say 350 lbs wet . I'm pretty light too! 170 dry. Happy to drive too if you want.

12 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #2020
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
Found this on another forum...

http://vimeo.com/wildpilots/deathvalleyvork

Wild Pilots at Death Valley - Vork's Take from WildPilots on Vimeo.

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #2021
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
bike weighs about half of your bike! Say 350 lbs wet . I'm pretty light too! 170 dry. Happy to drive too if you want.
It should be workable. Trailer is (under)rated for 750, I'd say 1500 could be loaded on to it no sweat (old military trailer). The trick is going to be figuring out tie downs, I'll see about putting some center tie downs in the deck (still in the build process for the deck).

If we split driving duties we should be able to drive out Saturday night so we can be in our respective homes for the morning... Family makes things so much more difficult ;)
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #2022
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Pretty cool.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #2023
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post

rob and others.

since you'll be there early and coming from far away, check out all the touristy spots in death valley. mostly pavement, but good ride on a bike, and they are all worth it. camp at furnace creek since most of these landscapes and attractions are near it than panaming springs.

check out furnace creek visitor center, dante's view, artist drive, zabrieski point, scotty's castle + tour, ubehebe crater, racetrack, etc. plan on spending 2 days and bring your camera.

more info here - http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

come the noobs rally, we will try to hit as much dirt we could find. unfortunate for many repeat participants, they never really got the chance to see the sights i mentioned due to limited time. those places are also a little too far (at least 50 miles) from PSR.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #2024
dirt donkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
noob on WR250r

i am a noob on the dirt. I ride a T800xc on the street but i have only been in the dirt a dozen times. So far i am not signed up for any rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
thanks chris (browneye) for handling the group rides. running out of volunteers, and we may soon hire professional guides...

good possibility i can lead a noobs ride on thurs and friday. starts at 8am and have to be back in the campground by 3 pm. if there are noobs who still don't have a group to join, please post up and i can put together an easy ride.

thursday will start easy, do some drills, then progress to more exciting terrains. maximum of 8 riders. must have knobs and wear attgatts.
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #2025
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Another potential option for "super nOObs" is to ride pavement out to Scotty's Castle then in on dirt to the Teakettle Junction and the Racetrack (same route in reverse to get home). It would be a long ride with plenty of adventure but keep the technical stuff to a minimum.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote