Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #2236
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt donkey View Post
I noticed half the group has GPS. Any recommendations. I like the Montana but it is pricey. Too many other farkeles to purchase. I thought i could use my iPhone 4G, but the navigation software and internal GPS is horrible. I tried the garmin 62 series but found the screen too small to navigate. Spent more time zooming in then riding and eventually the battery went dead.
I have the 60CSx and a Zumo 665. The 665 is pricey, but it is nice having a big enough screen to see where you are going. There are no issues using the touch screen with gloves, in fact, it works better with gloves on and it is a lot faster than the 60/276/376/478 units.

For the most part, you really don't need a GPS in Death Valley. You'll be OK if half the group has them.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #2237
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidxr View Post
Hey Joel..

I have been dreading sending this message. I have to abort the rally. I'm about to start a big project for work and it's going to conflict with the rally dates. I'm self employed and have always been able to juggle work around riding but not this time and I have to take the work if it's offered.

Brian is still going to make it though. He will have to represent Colorado on his own...

Ride hard and take chances... FYYFF
norm sorry to hear you have conflict. i know, you've been planning on this one right after we met in silverton. well, work is just as important. it pays for the sport and toys.

see you in colorado or next year here in dv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
My buddy over at Alpinestars just sent over a box of hats, drawstring backpacks and stickers for give aways

awesome todd. thank you.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #2238
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,022
In DV, a Harrison map is a great substitute for a GPS. Since all riding within the park is done on existing roads, it's hard to get lost with a good map.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #2239
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
G2 Tower Rd?

Hello,

Looking at G2 Tower Rd. that goes from Ridgecrest, N, past China Lake Weapons Station then to 190.
Anybody ride that one? If so what was it like?

Thanks,

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #2240
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Looking at G2 Tower Rd. that goes from Ridgecrest, N, past China Lake Weapons Station then to 190.
Anybody ride that one? If so what was it like?

Thanks,

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic
I'm pretty sure you can't ride straight through the military base without special clearance

If you give it a try anyhow, be sure to take a camera and let us know how it goes

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #2241
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
That road is deep inside the base.

Take the power line roads that parallel the 395 to Olancha. or the roads going to the Pinnacles, Trona for fuel, then the escape route north into Ballarat area.

I assume you're trying to ride in on dirt to PSR
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #2242
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt donkey View Post
I noticed half the group has GPS. Any recommendations. I like the Montana but it is pricey. Too many other farkeles to purchase. I thought i could use my iPhone 4G, but the navigation software and internal GPS is horrible. I tried the garmin 62 series but found the screen too small to navigate. Spent more time zooming in then riding and eventually the battery went dead.

While I love using my Montana I understand it's an investment… For DV purposes and riding without needing to load GPX tracks the Garmin USA iPhone App is great if you want to save cash and still have a fully functional GPS unit that doesn't need any network to function, assuming you already have your bike setup with a mount and power for the iPhone. The Garmin app does leave a track of where you've been, has onboard Maps that will have all the roads you would ride around DV and is only $40. It's the same as the Garmin Nuvi series without the additional unit. With the high-res iPhone screen I never had issues with using it for rides I didn't need to follow tracks on.

Good luck!

Some DV images to share:

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #2243
dirt donkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
ORUX maps on an Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
While I love using my Montana I understand it's an investment… For DV purposes and riding without needing to load GPX tracks the Garmin USA iPhone App is great if you want to save cash and still have a fully functional GPS unit that doesn't need any network to function, assuming you already have your bike setup with a mount and power for the iPhone. The Garmin app does leave a track of where you've been, has onboard Maps that will have all the roads you would ride around DV and is only $40. It's the same as the Garmin Nuvi series without the additional unit. With the high-res iPhone screen I never had issues with using it for rides I didn't need to follow tracks on.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion. So it is a good map supplement, giving you breadcrumbs, but doesnt sound like it loads .gpx files and works with waypoints. I was trolling around the internet yesterday and stumbled upon this. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oruxmaps&hl=en

It is a google android mapping software and the reviews are quite good 7,000 5 stars, 1,300 4 stars and a small majority 1-3. Just taking a glance at it, it can load Garmin maps and use OSM maps. So I would need to plunk down some money on an android device or a iPod/iphone. My understanding is there is a GPS module in most devices, so you don't need an actual phone.
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #2244
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 983
I runs very basic GPS. It's an old Magellan Meridian (got my first. In 2003). It tracks me and you can load waypoints up. The map sucks and the screen is small but it's simple and pretty stout. I also got an extra cheap on eBay so if I destroy it I won't cry too much.

Here it is in all its modern wonder.

This is my trusty one but I just got a Meridian Gold and a Platinum, these are better as they save track history in non-volatile memory, the regular does not so unplanned power outages lose track history (it saves when you do a commanded power off though).
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #2245
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
G2 Tower Rd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
That road is deep inside the base.

Take the power line roads that parallel the 395 to Olancha. or the roads going to the Pinnacles, Trona for fuel, then the escape route north into Ballarat area.

I assume you're trying to ride in on dirt to PSR
Hello,

Thanks spafxer and rider914 for your responses.

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

heirhead screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:17 PM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #2246
hicRhodus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Making someone happy on the waiting list...

We have to forgo the fun and activities and are giving up our slots :-(.

#159 (hicRhodus)
#160 (bluebear)
hicRhodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #2247
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
Regarding gps and maps, checkout the android app store for dualsportmaps.com phone app. For $20 you get maps, and access to tracks. Give yourself a few hours to get familiar with it. I'm not sure is it's available for iphone or not.

www.dualsportmaps.com
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #2248
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
If you just want tracks, there are a few free apps for the iPhone and Android (I have used GPS Tracker on Android, it is free) that will log your coordinates similar to how a true GPS unit would. This will create a "bread crumb" trail that you can then load up to your computer when you get home to plot out in Google Earth or Maps. It stores the tracks in your phone, so you don't need service. Not a navigational tool, just a cool feature so you can see where you have been.
isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #2249
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
i still use an old indian scout
slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #2250
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicRhodus View Post
We have to forgo the fun and activities and are giving up our slots :-(.

#159 (hicRhodus)
#160 (bluebear)
sorry oliver and diane you could not make it. we are looking forward to show nice riding areas for riders from out of state. hope one day i will make it to your riding areas in new mexico.

we'll have a ride report afterwards for all of us to enjoy.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote