Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #2266
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,584
Requirements for riding on a military reservation are as follows:

Military Badge
Sticker on the bike (insurance on the bike in your name, registration in your name and Military ID card) If the registration is not in your name then there is a much more complicated process to follow.
Must wear:
over the ankle boots
Helmet
Googles
Riding Jacket with reflective material on it (if no reflective material then must wear the orange vest)

Once you aboard the base you need access to the "North Range" facility.
As part of the access procedure to the north range facility you will have to attend a 2? hour briefing on the current do's and don'ts for the facility as well as a briefing on UXO and how to report them. You will have to check with Range control to verify that you can access the range.

Now that you have the permission you will be given a map of what roads you are allowed to ride and which ones are off limits. Now that you are on the north range riding the approved roads you will realize that there are no exits on the north side of the base. The only way to leave via the north is to go rogue and hope that the feds don't bust you.

Lastly, if you violate the rules they are FED rules not the state boys. They have no issue with jacking you up.

GOOD LUCK if you want to pursue this.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #2267
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Sounds like the black helicopters could be involved.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #2268
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Here is a preview based on the ride with my Dad on 3/2-3/4/13. For full details and story, go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869090

Rhyolite.

Titus Canyon.

Charcoal Kilns.

Heading down Wildrose Rd back to Panamint.

The infamous Goler Wash Steps. Though they are not so big now!

Mengel Pass...

My bike took a little nap, but all due to my fault and lack of attention, not really a hard spot. :lol:

Top of Mengel Pass.

Striped Butte.

A sand storm was blowing quite hard, as you can see at Warm Springs and West Side Road.

Can you spot my Dad?

LOST was here!

Racetrack Playa

The Playa from a distance.

Ubehebe Crater.

Get prepared, you guys are in for a treat!
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #2269
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Been looking forward to this... but now I am on the injured reserve list. While out learning how to ride my dirtbike better yesterday, I neglected to learn how to crash better.

Result: Bike/Terrain - 1, Rider - 0. Fractured wrist (left). Surgery on Tuesday. Many weeks of recovery to follow... and I'm left handed.

#42 Bogeyman.

I was down to bring an EZUp - if anyone is near me in Central Marin (94904) and wants to pick it up... PM me.
tony. hey sorry to hear about your little accident. you'll be fine in no time.

heal quickly and see you later.

thank to pine valley for bringing an ez up. folks, if you're trucking bring yours too and extra chairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt donkey View Post
Lifted this off a another post....
<<http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...tire_iron_set/ and the Wolfman bag: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro/EnduroFender.html) and I have a question. Clearly none of the front fender bags are big enough for two spare tubes and it looks like prevailing forum-wisdom suggests packing only the 21" front tube. Is this because in an emergency you can stuff the 21" in the 18" rear rim? >>>

I was at Scotts Performance today and he mentioned that was a go if you don't have the space while out riding, but you need to go with the standard weight tube. I guess the 21" tube will inflate around a smaller 18" tire since the tire is physically wider and therefore will stretch - working as an emergency tube on the smaller 18" and double duty for the 21" wheel. Spent $7 on a Kenda tube. someone else on the thread suggested putting the tube in a wool sock to keep the tube from rubbing against something.

i always bring a 21 and 18. multi day rides, i add 1 more 21. i keep them in freezer type zip lock bag and sprinkled it with baby powder. easier to instal and less likely to get pinched. also, unlikely to crack when stored while folded.

folks, don't rely on your fellow riders. they might need them too. byot. if you ran out, look for lior, he's bringing extra tubes.....and tires too.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #2270
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,994
the tees will be available next week.

you can preorder yours. i will post a linky.

WE HAVE CURRENTLY 4 spots OPEN....PM me if you're interested.

2 trucking and 2 riding IN.

WHO WAS LOOKING FOR A FULL HOOK UP RV space? raul the adventurer and spartan?....PM me.

NSFW screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 08:58 PM Reason: E
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #2271
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
I can do it. Where is the most current file?
This is what is listed in the first few posts:

http://dsm8.crazytrend.com/download....x/DVTracks.gpx

I have not looked at the resulting gpx file to see what it contains.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #2272
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Amazing pics, Isaac.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #2273
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Been looking forward to this... but now I am on the injured reserve list.
That sucks, bone breakage is a DNS for sure.

Not that anyone was losing sleep over it, but my bike survived trying to teleport through my garage door just fine. I had my stitches out today, so my hand seems fine as well.

Everyone, try to refrain from doing anything stupid for two weeks.

WE CAN DO THIS.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #2274
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
The tough part is I need to put on no more than 790 miles from now to then so I can turn 20k in DV, that'll be tough as I only have 400 scheduled miles between now and then.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #2275
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Sounds like the black helicopters could be involved.

Depending upon what they are testing.............

F*CK CANCER
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #2276
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
China Lake

[QUOTE=Lonestar2112;20902065]Requirements for riding on a military reservation are as follows:

Military Badge
Sticker on the bike (insurance on the bike in your name, registration in your name and Military ID card) If the registration is not in your name then there is a much more complicated process to follow.
Must wear:
over the ankle boots
Helmet
Googles
Riding Jacket with reflective material on it (if no reflective material then must wear the orange vest)

Once you aboard the base you need access to the "North Range" facility.
As part of the access procedure to the north range facility you will have to attend a 2? hour briefing on the current do's and don'ts for the facility as well as a briefing on UXO and how to report them. You will have to check with Range control to verify that you can access the range.

Now that you have the permission you will be given a map of what roads you are allowed to ride and which ones are off limits. Now that you are on the north range riding the approved roads you will realize that there are no exits on the north side of the base. The only way to leave via the north is to go rogue and hope that the feds don't bust you.

Lastly, if you violate the rules they are FED rules not the state boys. They have no issue with jacking you up

Thanks,

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

heirhead screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:15 PM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #2277
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello and thanks for response,

Worked at 29 Palms For 10 months and rode my r100gs at least half of the time. no vest, no problem. License, reg and ins verification once in a while.
Worked at Edward AFB same thing. That was 20 yrs ago and much has changed. Been many times through Camp Pendleton,N on 5, and once they wouldn't let me through. Went into building with paperwork and told Marine in charge that I just to like to ride through base as Freeway sucks. Told him I like to stop for 10 minutes and watch the choppers take off and land, also like to stop at kind of a park, watch squirrels and take a leak. Beautiful ride and no freeway. He looked at paperwork and said, "Your tax dollars pays for this base so obey speed limits, stay on the road and enjoy the ride". Last year at this time went to Julian with a guy I met on a Harley Ultra and went through base.Marine asked if I was in military? No. Asked if other person was in military? No.
I told him that I went through base a lot and gave him my license. He ran it through machine and said yes, you have. I had blue Zinka all over my face,sunblock, and he said, "It looks like your just got your ass kicked by Papa Smurf and ride safe". I usually ride with Hi-Viz jacket but have ridden through without. Went through 2 months ago. Could not get on Weapons Station in Seal Beach as went there with my dad when I was a kid. He worked there for 30 yrs. Even after I went to a 5 hr class to volunteer to watch the nesting terns with badge and all I still needed to take a M/C safety class.
Will heed your advice and take alternate route as black helicopters sounds way to spooky.

Thanks again,

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

Since 9/11 things have gotten stricter. Each base has slightly different requirements. The requirements to get on the base changes as the threat level changes. I have been on the base at China Lake once or twice, , I really would not recommend it.

F*CK CANCER
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #2278
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Here is a preview based on the ride with my Dad on 3/2-3/4/13. For full details and story, go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869090
Get prepared, you guys are in for a treat!
Nice photos, Isaac! Good to see you and your Dad out riding together again.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #2279
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello and thanks for response,

Worked at 29 Palms For 10 months and rode my r100gs at least half of the time. no vest, no problem. License, reg and ins verification once in a while.
Worked at Edward AFB same thing. That was 20 yrs ago and much has changed. Been many times through Camp Pendleton,N on 5, and once they wouldn't let me through.

I don't know about the other services, but the Marine Corps has dropped the requirement for brightly colored or reflective material on your riding gear. Your are not required to wear a vest either.

You are still required to wear a DOT helmet, over the ankle footwear, long sleeves, and hopefully pants.

Be prepared to show current registration and proof of insurance.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #2280
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,660
Rode the big old Honda to Parker & back on Thursday, off road most of the way & got on some of the Parker race coarse 380 miles rt. Trying to keep in shape for DV. Was reminded again the XRL with me as the pilot struggles in the deep sand whoops. Had my first encounter with a cow on Santa Maria River Rd. Did a little bump & run. Luckely we both came out fine. Looking forward to DV!
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote