Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #3361
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Tom, that pic brings back some not so fond memories. Damn bad luck there. Hope you heal fast and are back riding again soon!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #3362
rruugger
formally rruugger

Oddometer: 1,265
Bad when you have plumbing coming out of the bottom of your cast. Was sorry
to hear of this Tom. Here's to a speedy recovery,hot nurse's and sponge baths If you need anything don't hesitate.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #3363
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,565
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
tom, wish you a quick and full recovery. take care.

thanks vern for the update.
+10 on this one just had the knee thing done speedy recovery to you
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #3364
l18flyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
GSsequoia DSM8 Espi and l18flyboy
1st of all THANKS for the efforts and for trying something new for the noobs
Great idea

Just curious:
How did the HAM work
Did the repeater get placed
How long did the battery last for the repeater
Did the repeater get recovered
What kind of range was covered
How did the helmet speakers/mic work
What could be improved on
Again Great idea & thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
I never got my hands on a radio and was unable to determine the status of the repeater.
I get the sense it was never deployed because I did not hear of it's use during the course of the weekend.

Anyone?

Bueller....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
It never made it up. One thing I failed to counter for was having no idea who anybody was so not being able to connect with a 4x4. Then it got into have fun mode and it got sidelined.

I'll test it in Big Bear later on this month so it's in action in 2014. Myabe by then I'll wire a helmet too.

I had tried the repeater a couple of times and wondered if I had perhaps not properly programmed my handheld, so I'm glad to know it wasn't operator error on my part!

A couple of times out on the trail (Chloride Cliffs and Hunter) I tried the simplex frequency to see if I could raise anyone, but didn't have any luck there either. I don't believe anyone else on the rides I was doing had a radio, but from past experience it can be very helpful if leader and sweep are in communication. I'll bring mine again next year.

l18flyboy screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 12:13 AM
l18flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #3365
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by l18flyboy View Post
I had tried the repeater a couple of times and wondered if I had perhaps not properly programmed my handheld, so I'm glad to know it wasn't operator error on my part!

A couple of times out on the trail (Chloride Cliffs and Hunter) I tried the simplex frequency to see if I could raise anyone, but didn't have any luck there either. I don't believe anyone else on the rides I was doing had a radio, but from past experience it can be very helpful if leader and sweep are in communication. I'll bring mine again next year.
I think next year I'll start rallying for radio comms earlier. I'd love to get at least one radio on each run, preferably two.

I need to wire my helmet for the radio, my plans never really had me in comms the whole time, just when stopped for food, fueling, and pissing.
GSequoia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #3366
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Holly Bat man

Tom
Sorry about your mishaph
The picture look painful
I thought I was in pain until I saw your picture.....
Speedy recovery to you.
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #3367
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
Tom
Sorry about your mishaph
The picture look painful
I thought I was in pain until I saw your picture.....
Speedy recovery to you.
What he said...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #3368
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,117
Breaking shit sucks.

Another random Picture:

Can you see the guy (jandreno) who won the Klim gear?

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #3369
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
So, what happened with the other group to Cerro Gordo? I never did get an update other than only a couple went all the way to the Trams. We waited for over an hour at Cerro Gordo and again at the Trams, finally saw a few coming up as we were going back down.

The KLX guys didn't even show up for the ride I guess.
We all made it up to Cerro Gordo for lunch around noon, except for Tom.
(AZTom was having some bike trouble after the sand washes outside Darwin and headed back on the highway.)

We got a bit turned around after Darwin (where I had hoped we would meet up with you and John to discuss the route). I didn't have the GPS tracks, and no one else in our sub-group of 7 did either. Eggroll and I discussed route and we each had different tracks, so we headed out of Darwin on the sand washes to the west. The differing tracks led to some confusion as we headed northwest out of Centennial Flat. My route had us riding sand all the way to the junction of 190 and 136, but that would have taken a good part of the day. Ultimately, we decided to cut out to the highway and shoot up to Keeler and Cerro Gordo Road.

After a lunch stop in CG at noon (we didn't miss you guys by much apparently) we headed up toward the tram. At the steep downhill to uphill section about half of the group turned back (it was a tough hill climb toward the tram). Soupknotzee, Dirt Donkey, and I made it up the hill and on to the tram (we passed you as you headed out). Once we got back to CG, the rest of the folks had already headed back to PSR and the remaining group of 3 rode down the backside and came out Saline Valley Road. It was a great ride, sorry that we weren't able to meet up at CG or the tram. Everyone did fine, no breakdowns or major mishaps.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #3370
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstehn View Post
Can someone help me out here? Who is the young man with the gas can pouring it in the bike?
That would be me. Jonathan Stehn.

Big thanks to you Tom. I had a great ride home thanks to your loan of the shifter. Another 100 miles of dirt, a downpour to rinse off the dust, and a lively ride through the twists of Angeles Forest Highway.

Young, HA! I am 44.

Your shifter is on its way home along with an incentive for your next ride.

Thanks so much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Hey Jonathon, above & beyond, thank you! Not only did I get back the shifter but a Shell gas gift card that I will put to more motorcycle miles this weekend. A stand up guy!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #3371
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,736
if you haven't posted your rr here.......http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875195

please do so. we decided to give the leftover raffle prizes to 6 lucky contributors. not necessarily for the best RR, just give it your best shot and you're IN.

prizes will be:
5 wolfman enduro fender bag or tool roll @ $25 each
1 dirt bagz set @ $250 of merchandise

giant loop fandango tank bag goes to FYYFF
seat concept seat kit goes to lonestar
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #3372
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
if you haven't posted your rr here.......http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875195

please do so. we decided to give the leftover raffle prizes to 6 lucky contributors. not necessarily for the best RR, just give it your best shot and you're IN.

Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #3373
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 229
Another Great Rally

Thanks to all who organized the rally, especially Joel.

Thanks to Pablo (espi) for hauling gas to Hot Springs for the Steel Pass group Friday. You da man!

I still owe Jim's (spafxer) daughters some wine for carrying gas for us to Scotty's. Have them send me a note so I can put some in the mail.

Met some great folks on the Steel Pass ride this year. Wish I could do it again this weekend with y'all.

Cheers,

'06 Husky TE 610, '07 Triumph Tiger 1050, '93 ATK 605
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #3374
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I could use one of those fender bag
Quote:

prizes will be:
5 wolfman enduro fender bag or tool roll @ $25 each
1 dirt bagz set @ $250 of merchandise

giant loop fandango tank bag goes to FYYFF
seat concept seat kit goes to lonestar
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #3375
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,736
lots of nice people

memorable moments

as many of you know, PSR is no longer providing a dumpster for trash. though we plan of doing a 100% pack it in - pack it out, we were doubtful if that will happen. so, i provided a contingency for a "special trash pickup" at a cost of $500 (ouch). it sounds a lot of money, but not really if we consider we were in the middle of the desert.

we made an effort to collect trash donation on thursday night and hoping we get enough $$$, but we didn't. i guess, there were not too many people around, except all 170 burger patties were gone...

to make the story short, we counted $150 and yeah, we're $350 short and i'm getting concerned where to get the rest, but i knew help will come sooner or later. i am relying on my banker (nowwhat) at the end..

soon enough,this GUY came to me, first time i've met him, and asked me how much are we short. gave him the number. he said he'll help and left. then, a few minutes later, he came back with a $350 check.................

wow...what a genuine guy!,,,,

i guess he didn't want all our trash get blown as far as to his home in gig harbor, wa....

anyway, then on saturday, we passed around the collection jar again, thanks to jimmy and todd for giving it a some push. the final collection is $397 and will refund the gig harbor rider the difference.

yeah folks, this event attracted a lot of good people willing to help and share. furthermore, we are able to collect $ for 4 charitable organizations (sos, brc, corva and rdf).

let's all be thankful to all volunteers, donors and supporters.

lastly, for all you noobs out there, this event is dedicated to you.. it it wasn't for your participation, all we have is a riding event without a cause.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote